Vikings Stadium To Have World's Largest Transparent Roof

The Vikings Stadium to be built in the Minneapolis city center will boast the world's largest transparent roof. The roof will be constructed using state-of-the-art ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) instead of glass to handle the climate. Minnesota isn't an ideal place for a sport like football or other outdoor games because of its climate, but the new stadium will make it possible to host outdoor games. The stadium will host 65,000 sports fans and is expected to be constructed with a budget of $975 million.

slide

The biggest attraction of the stadium will the the world's largest transparent roof. The roof itself won't open, but has been sloped to improve the load bearing capacity. The ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) polymer allows more light to pass through it than traditional glass and weighs just 1% of the glass. This would make it ideal choice of material to use for constructing the roof. The polymer costs 24-70% less than glass and can hold 400x its own weight.

Another big advantage of ETFE is that it can be easily repaired by welding. The engineers say that the overal life of the polymer is approximately 50 years. Check out following fly-through video of the stadium which is soon going to be an engineering marvel.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#​

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Epic! Now this is what we call Crazy Engineering.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I remember Docklands cricket Stadium in Australia also have retractable roof which takes 20 minutes to open and off.

very true that', engineering is reaching its heights.

-CB
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    What intrigues me is that in the event of a terrorist plane crash or outer space meteor crash (God forbid!), would the glass ETFE bits fall down as rain or would it fall onto the audience? Wouldn't that cause a potential danger?

#Can't.Predict.Anything.For.Sure
  • lal
    lal
    anoopthefriend
    What intrigues me is that in the event of a terrorist plane crash or outer space meteor crash (God forbid!), would the glass bits fall down as rain or would it fall onto the audience? Wouldn't that cause a potential danger?

Isn't the danger of same magnitude if something like that happened even without the roof! 😐
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    anoopthefriend
    What intrigues me is that in the event of a terrorist plane crash or outer space meteor crash (God forbid!), would the glass bits fall down as rain or would it fall onto the audience? Wouldn't that cause a potential danger?

Very interesting question, indeed. I believe the material is strong enough and a lot of responsibility would lie on the support. I doubt it can be safeguarded from the attacks like you mentioned.

Maybe #-Link-Snipped-# can throw in some insight.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    Isn't the danger of same magnitude if something like that happened even without the roof! 😐
    Would ask an expert for opinion rather than comment any further!
    Specs on Etfe

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All Engineers I am Stuck At A Problem The Question Is Suppose I am A hacker And I Publish A Loophole On My Blog So How The Corporate Company...
Google India has taken an important steps to educate engineering students in Andhra Pradesh on latest technologies in the cloud and mobile domain. The company has signed MoU with the...
This thread is created for solutions to all problems related to Ubuntu. I'm tagging the people who would help Abhishek Rawal and Pensu First problem I'm facing : I downloaded...
I wonder if this happens only with me, or with everyone else here. nowadays whenever i click on the google chrome icon, a dialog box appears saying "whoa ! google...
Need a suggestion regarding plc programmer whether it has good scope that i am being electrical graduate is it good for me and how much one can earn after getting...