Video game teaches Engineering?

Hello All,

Very excited about this place to get feedback, knowledge, and your unbias engineering voice in regards to my engineering video game for students. My name is Ray Shingler, long time engineer, love it. But I started to see our numbers decline with enrollment of our younger generation in engineering careers.

So I thought what media would get them interested in learning engineering principles and how engineering is cool, challenging, and fun. Then it hit me... Video Games...

I started to develop a video game back in 1999 to teach students engineering principles at an earlier age with their media of choice, computer games. After many years of doing it all myself I have it finished and I welcome this forum's engineers to hit it hard and give me the "good", the "bad", and the "ugly" of my efforts. All suggestions/criticizms are welcome.

Give it a try at #-Link-Snipped-# and let me know if you think it will help spark an interest in kids.

Thanks,

Ray Shingler

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: Engineer with a passion to teach

Welcome to CE, Ray!

Very good to have you on CE. I remember playing similar game elsewhere (don't remember the website name). I played #-Link-Snipped-# and found it interesting. The game is cool considering the age group it is targeting. I'd expect at least 3 different levels of increasing difficulty to make it more exciting and challenging. For example, you could add wind direction/speed settings to make it more challenging.

I liked the game graphics. The viewable area could be bigger (600x800, perhaps?).

PS: I'm moving this thread to CE Reviews section. Let's hope to receive more feedback.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal

The_Big_K
    Welcome to CE, Ray!

Very good to have you on CE. I remember playing similar game elsewhere (don't remember the website name). I played #-Link-Snipped-# and found it interesting. The game is cool considering the age group it is targeting. I'd expect at least 3 different levels of increasing difficulty to make it more exciting and challenging. For example, you could add wind direction/speed settings to make it more challenging.

I liked the game graphics. The viewable area could be bigger (600x800, perhaps?).

PS: I'm moving this thread to CE Reviews section. Let's hope to receive more feedback.
    Absolutely great .I had never seen such kind of website before
  • durga ch
    durga ch

I have feedbacks on catapult game
    See though there are suggestions to increase rock size, grease or dry , do we have explanation why we are supposed to do so? only them we can call it learning right? Else its again gaming with suggestions to improve the game. Or I missed some page which actually has all these details?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I was thinking maybe a game could be built around Vedic Mathematics? It would be AWESOME!
  • rshingler
    rshingler

The_Big_K
    I was thinking maybe a game could be built around Vedic Mathematics? It would be AWESOME!
    This is what is so great about the technology of using video games to teach engineering, we CAN do it all, just takes corporations (Caterpillar, Whirlpool, Exxon, etc.) involvement to help sponsor the games.

I have already begun thinking about a sequel to my Time Engineers game to teach bio-medical and nano engineering. Give it a peek at #-Link-Snipped-# and give me more ideas...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am planing to do the project for my final year on auto irrigation and crop management i need to use more than six sensors and display etc which micro...
Hello friends....Material for GATE and Technical Job Exams prepared by IIT alumni is available at www(dot)btechguru.com
NPTEL Video and Web Courses (for all engineering branches) prepared by professors from IITs and IISc are available on this website:National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning(NPTel) Home.
We are two CCNA certified engineers with a telecom company and want to upgrade CCNP and CCVP. We have heard about Boot camps that they are helpful in saving time...
If you are a PayPal user located in India, you will no longer be able to use electronic fund transfer facility to withdraw your funds in your PayPal account. This...