VHDL code Implementation

After designing the code in VHDL using modelsim how can it be implemented onto an IC. Are there any specific kits for this. All I know about is VHDL coding but nothing about its Hardware implementation. So please help.

Replies

• Czaronics_nks
    Czaronics_nks
    Elektrogeek
    After designing the code in VHDL using modelsim how can it be implemented onto an IC. Are there any specific kits for this. All I know about is VHDL coding but nothing about its Hardware implementation. So please help.
    Hey bie ....where u doing Engineering .I am from BBSR.
    After designing the code in VHDL the code is downloaded into the IC which are PAL, FPGAs etc. The FPGA is connected into a protoboard which is then connected to the parallel port of the CPU. The code is then downloaded into the FPGA which starts to function as per the code after downloading. The FPGAs are provided by ALTERA, XILINX.
  • RachaelP
    RachaelP
    Hi,

Let me start by pointing out that VHDL is NOT downloaded into the device. VHDL is a Hardware Description Language but thats all it is, a description. The hardware described by the VHDL needs to be converted into a logic implementation before it can be downloaded into any hardware.

Using ModelSim to simulate your VHDL design is a great start. However, the simulation flow and the synthesis flow require different tools. To get your design into an FPGA (PLD's are very small and tend not to be designed using VHDL although they could be) you need to take the VHDL, synthsize it using a tool such as Precision Synthesis or Leonardo Spectrum by Mentor Graphics or Synplify by Synplicity. These tools will take the VHDL and create a netlist which represents the hardware implementation of your design. This netlist then needs to be run through the place and route tool supplied by your FPGA vendor. If you are targetting Altera this will be Quartus, Xilinx will be ISE, Actel will be Designer or Libero and QuickLogic will be SpDE. These tools will take the logic elements in the supplied netlist, place them in the target device and route all the connections. The final stage is to program the device. For Altera and Xilinx they are SRAM based parts and require an external boot EPROM. For Actel they use Flash and Antifuse technology and QuickLogic are also Antifuse parts all of which are stand alone parts requiring no external boot EPROM. The vendors supply programmers specific to their parts and these will connect to either the parallel port or more commonly these days the USB port of your PC.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

Rachael
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hey Rachel,

That was fantastic. Good to see you back on CE after a long long time 😁

-The Big K-
  • rajur
    rajur
    how can we get vhdl or xilinx software
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    dudes!!! the question is totally wrong,one who knows VHDL,shud also know how to configure it in FPGA/PAL.anyhow check out any electronic magazine you will get many kits out their!!!..enjoy coding
  • laila ahmed
    laila ahmed
    hi
    I need interact bet. modelsim & c++ code ( calling modelsim&run it from c++ code)
    but until now I just open modelsim , I can't write from c++ into modelsim command window
  • Nishant Patel
    Nishant Patel
    use visual studio software..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi dear CEans! I got a trouble with XP when i setting folder options. When I select tools > folder options > view, then I enabled "Show hidden files and...
hello everyone, I'm new. I got a engineering equation to solve & need some help. i am doing a project that uses joule heating of a wire & i wanted...
hey friends, my pen drive(moser baer 1gb is showing a write protect error while transferring files having size greater than 237 MB. can any one of you suggest me how...
CEans, Its high time that we add/remove/modify our existing sections. In my opinion, We preserve our existing Trade Specific Sections (i.e Computer Science, Electronics, Civil ...) Merge CE IT Help...
Dear all, I am an analyst and track power conversion industry. Mayank