Vedic Mathematics !

Guys!

Not many are aware of the fantastic world of Vedic Mathematics. I think we can have interesting discussions on mental math techniques. I'll work on getting some starter tips & tricks for the benefit of CEans.

Feel free to add your thoughts! ๐Ÿ˜€

-The Big K-

Replies

• rick
    rick
    is it me?

I'm not quite sure of whats being talked here ๐Ÿ˜• . What is vedic mathematics? I never heard about it.

Where do they use vedic mathematics? can someone explain?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vedic Mathematics explained

Hi Rick,

Allow me to explain. Vedic Mathematics is a system of mental-calculations. In the middle of 20th century, this system of mental calculations was developed by Shri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji. The system has roots in ancient Indian Vedas - Wikipedia.

The system evolves around 16 basic 'sutras' or rules. The rules (probably we'll discuss them in quantitative ability section) are the foundation of mental calculation techniques. The rules are very simple and can be easily understood.

I'll put the simple techniques of Vedic mathematics later. Keep watching this thread. I'm sure we have a lot to learn here ! ๐Ÿ˜€

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    That's a good explanation, big K. I have a couple of mental math tricks too. I'll post them here. I think we should have separate threads for discussiing various techniques. What do you think?

Really great initiative!
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    good thread. I had a chance to learn some mental math tricks few years ago and I'll be glad to share them with you.

as crook suggested, start a new thread for each technique.

Jerry
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bring them on !

That's fantastic crook & jerry!

Feel free to start new threads for discussions. But plesae do make sure that the threads are titled appropriately. The title should give an idea about the discussion going on in the thread.

I'll start with some basic tips. I'm sure many of us already know them but its always better to start with the basics ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking for some great posts!

-The Big K-
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    I'll put the simple techniques of Vedic mathematics later. Keep watching this thread. I'm sure we have a lot to learn here ! ๐Ÿ˜€

-The Big K-
    Hey biggi....
    Am waiting for some of the techniques....
    If draft isnot ready you can giveme some raw data or link on PM...
    thanks in advance
    --Crazy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hi Crazyboy!

I need to compile some data which I've in books and articles on internet. I'll need some time to do that. Meanwhile, you may gather some information from Internet and start a new thread. Let us not 'copy' the articles from somewhere. Instead, let's write articles ourselves.

-The Big K-
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Some techniques of VM..(Vedic mathamatics...)

* Multiplication of two digit no.

Multiply 73 *37
    It will easily take around 50 sec for a person to solve it...
    but with VM one can solve it within 25 sec... so it will save your 25 sec....Half the time...This shows the effieiency of the VM...

trick is :

37 *
    -----

3*7= 21(right hand side)
    take 1, carry over 2
    now 7*7+3*3+ carry over (2)=60
    take 0, carry over 6
    [now multiply 7*3=21(left hand side) + carryover 6] = 27
    so arrange this ...

[{now multiply 7*3=21 + carryover 6 = 27}{now 7*7+3*3+ carry over (2)=62}{take 1 }] = 2701

This is looking very long procedure...
    But i am sure if you will try a little you will be able to solve any multiplication problem up to 2 digit with in 20-25 sec easily....

Next lesson tomorrow...till than bbye
    --Crazy
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    exercise for today...

74*57
    53*39
    43*97
    93*87
    49 *95

Enjoy VM...

--Crazy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good initiative!

Crazyboy - this a fantastic initiative from your side ๐Ÿ˜€

Consider starting a new thread for each new technique. It will make search easier & CEans will be able to discuss new technieque in its own thread. It will also help to keep the discussions separate.

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    great work done !

great job crazyboy ๐Ÿ˜

start a new thread for this discussion as biggie says ๐Ÿ˜
  • sttepz
    sttepz
    this is damn kewl !!! keep it up crazy!!!!
  • rick
    rick
    Vedic mathematics rocks ๐Ÿ˜. I wish I knew this before ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Neha
    Neha
    gr8!!!

I could never think of it...gr8 job Crazyboy!!!
  • Mahesh
    Mahesh
    Hi friends,
    I got few techniques for multiplication.To start with ,I want to you about multiplication with 11.

consider an example 45*11

The answer is 495

To do this,just keep units place as it is.Then start add it with its adjacent digits here it is (5+4=9).9 will be next digit.continue this until you end up with first digit.
    consider another example with 3 digit number...
    Eg: 375*11

First digit of ans=5
    Second digit of ans=5+7=12=2(As it is >10,1 is added to next digit and digit will be 2)
    Third digit of ans=7+3=10+1=11=1
    Fouth digit of ans=3+1=4

so answer is 4125

Please fell free to ask any doubts......
  • Mahesh
    Mahesh
    As you can see multiplication with 11,you can follow same method for 12,...19 with some variation.

Consider an example 486*12

for this,6*2=12
    8*2+6=22
    4*2+8=16
    4=4

Answer will be 4/16/22/12= 5832

We can use this for other multiplicands also by replacing 2 by 3,...9 to get respective results.

Please feel free to ask any doubts....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In order to have an 'Avatar' represent you, follow these steps - 1. Click on 'User CP' link on the top nav bar 2. In the Control Panel, observe the...
Hey CEans ! ๐Ÿ˜ I'm glad to announce the new style for CE forums - I-Bulletin! ๐Ÿ˜ But wait - the old CE forum style lovers can switch back to...
this poem was nominated for the best poem of 2005,written by an african kid. when i born,i black. when i grow up,i black. when i go under sun,i black. when...
Hello CEans! Most of us will agree that resume writing is an art. You have to enclose your life's achievements in those A4 sheets. Now believe me, a lot depends...
Guys, I'm planning to start CE - IT support. An IT support exclusively for CEans. Often we run into problems with our computer. If everything works fine, we may have...