-ve and +ve power factor?

Hello Guys and Girls, this is Fahad from Islamabad. I want to know what is meant by -ve and +ve power factor? Could anyone here explain it with apt examples? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Fahad Bhatti
    Fahad Bhatti
    fRNDs
    didn't find any answer of my question about +ve and -ve Power Factor, well I must share the idea I have in my mind...

I think it merely depicts the lagging or leading behaviour of current with voltage in AC circuits... Not more than that.
    The current lags the voltage for inductive loads and the power factor is +ve, the current leads the voltage in capacitance on load side and power factor is -ve.

IS it Ok?????

Any reparations needed?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I am not much acquainted with this kind of a notation of the power factor. I strongly believe that positive power factor used to describe the leading power factor, and negative as the lagging power factor, taking power factor 1 as the reference point;. Lagging power factor is less than one(greater than zero and less than 1, usually 0.2, 0.4, 0.8 etc). leading power factor is more than one. Hope this is straight enough. 😁
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    aj_onduty
    leading power factor is more than one.
    Dude, in what cases does this happen?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    If the load is a capacitive load, it will cause a leading power factor. If a load is inductive, it will cause lagging power factor.
  • freak16
    freak16
    @ aj
    Power factor can never be greater than 1 in any case. as it is the cosine of the angle between voltage and current. or ratio of active power to apparent power.
    so in any case cosQ wiil be 1 or less than one.
    until or unless Q is a real value..😀
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    freak16
    @ aj
    Power factor can never be greater than 1 in any case. as it is the cosine of the angle between voltage and current. or ratio of active power to apparent power.
    so in any case cosQ wiil be 1 or less than one.
    until or unless Q is a real value..😀
    Sorry everyone for the misleading. I apologise for that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Which motor continues to rotate after switch off and functions as generator in the circuit?
Can anyone explain me the basics of thermostat ? how it works? with example?
Is there anyone out here who works with Green Lasers?😕
😁Happy Birthday Silverscorpion 😁 May all your dreams come true! ​
Next to IEEE,best informative website for engineers is crazyengineers😁.Generally, mechanical students study sidecourses for AUTOCAD,CAD,CAM,3D DESIGN etc....Computer and IT prefer to C++,JAVA,HARDWARE APPLICATIONS,.NET ect.....then which technically oriented course is available...