Valve Sticking-Prevention and cure?

WANT TO KNOW SOME DETAILS ON VALVE STICKING:

Hi CEans I want to know a some basic details on “Valve Sticking”.I am doing an ppt on Biogas and found that Valve sticking and cylinder wear are major problems faced by the users using Biogas in an Internal Combustion Engine.When I asked about Valve sticking to my Professor He said It may be due to carbon deposits and residues that settle near valve face and make it sticky but He was not sure about that.When I googled it I found no matching answers that I was expecting and it showed only procedures to cure Valve Sticking.It showed results for Valve stuck.So this is my best chance to get the answer.

CEans I am expecting more…………….

I don’t want procedures to treat Valve sticking but a good brief on it.

Replies

• Velshankar MJ
    Velshankar MJ
    Maintaining correct valve clearance may reduce the valve sticking in case of small air craft engines as well as in automobiles. Also the sealing should be perfect so that there will be minimal heat loss through the top of cylinder. Inlet valves mostly wont get this problem.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Valve stick can be due to many reasons.
    The most common is the tarry residue from unprocessed fuels. Some of the hydrocarbon constituents catalysed by contaminants in the fuel can polymerise at the high temperatures prevailing inside the IC engine. This substance can act like a gum gluing the poppet to its seat.
    In some cases metal to metal contact at high impact forces can cause galling, leading to valve stick especially in gas based engines where there is no liquid component that can help lubricate the valve.

This patent covers some issues of inlet valve sticking:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Here is something specific to biogas engines:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Thanks @#-Link-Snipped-# sir.Your detailed explanation helps my paper.The link provided by you also proved to be helpful.

How to search patents relating to a topic?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Use this link Google

Or use Google.com/patents in the url bar to get the search engine to search for patents real time

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recent trend shows that all Auto giants are greatly investing in the R&D department for implementing or to introduce first Auto Pilot Cars.All are striving hard to lead this new...
i have created a c++ program in which a user inputs a number and the compiler gives the sum of digits at hundred ,tens and ones place of that number...
ISRO - Indian Space Research Organization has confirmed that the launch of GSAT-7, India's first ever defence satellite was successful. The launch was scheduled at 2:00 AM today morning from...
The other day I wrote about the new voice search feature included on their site by Flipkart and CEans reported that the service didn't work 100% for them. I believe...
I've been using iPad for almost 2 years now and have always wished if I could do some real productive work on it, apart from email. There were times I...