Valve SteamOS Free Download Soon For A Linux Based OS On The TV In Your Living Room

The buzz this news has created amoung Linux Lovers is sure to give you goosebumps. Valve, the entertainment software and technology company, best known for bringing the immensely popular games Half-Life and Counter Strike - is here with the launch of a Linux based operating system called the SteamOS. As the name itself is creating a lot of heat amoung fans Valve has put up a promotional page that reads - "Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam. Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room." This free Linux based OS would not just let you play your favorite games on the television, but in addition to that you get to watch movies and listen to music. So, your TV system remains intact whilst becoming smarter.

The news came to light for us, when our dedicated CEan @#-Link-Snipped-# Valve Announces Linux Based Operating System : SteamOS. for the community. rock solid architecture of Linux combined with the gaming power is just taking the awesomeness to another level for gamers. Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. Bringing "openness" with the entire package means that the hardware industry and the content creators can connect directly to their customers. As SteamOS evolves over time, we have all reasons to believe that the chances of upcoming SteamOS powered smartphone/tablet/PC can't be entirely ignored.

steamos-Valve

Soon to be made available in the SteamOS and the Steam Client, there are some new features being offered by the company. These include -
  • Support for playing Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine
  • Family Sharing feature that allows you to take turns playing one another’s games while earning your own Steam achievements and saving your individual game progress to the Steam cloud
  • Family Options that let you have more control over what titles get seen by whom, and more features to allow everyone in the house to get the most out of their Steam libraries.
  • Content partners may soon include media services such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, YouTuve, Hulu Plus and HBO Go on this platform.
So, that's pretty much everything we know about the SteamOS at the moment. SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Forever. But, there's more news that you can await from the company -
Last year, they shipped a software feature called Big Picture, a user-interface tailored for televisions and gamepads. This year and the next there's more to look forward to. Check out the links at the bottom. We await you, 2014.

SteamOS

Via: SteamOS | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    This is one great news,not just for Linux users but entire gaming community. If you've already purchased Windows games in Steam, you can stream it & play on TV monitor using SteamOS.

I have few assumptions about upcoming two announcements by Valve.
    In first image (check #-Link-Snipped-#) you can see only circle is drawn & next image contains a box including circle, which means hardware that'll contain SteamOS. So, probably the next update will be Steambox.

But, what's the last image about ? That's what I am really excited about.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Valve has confirmed that SteamOS is not based on Ubuntu , it is custom built. When they say, custom-built; it sounds like 'Gentoo' to my ears.
    Now, that is really great news because it will support Wayland & not Mir.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've discussed bicycles through various discussions. While we've discussed about the overall innovation in design, we almost ignored one of the most important components of the bicycle system - the...
The number of unemployable engineers in India is increasing, the way Indian population explodes. Exactly what is going on here? Did the software industry, which are service based, impoverished the...
Quote: Developed in 2011 by Jamie Beck and Kevin Burg, cinemagraphs are GIF images that combine still photography and video to produce a stunning effect. Typically, the entire GIF is...
Whether you are a plant operator looking to up skill your staff or new to the industry looking to advance your career, these training is for you! Respected leader in...
HI guys, I am currently working for Wipro IT (8 months).My engineering background is EEE. During my second year of engg, i figured it out that i wanted to do...