USB Pen Drive

Hi, guys...
this thread is for any query realeted to usb pen drive.

Replies

• Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    i have buy a pen drive of 16 gb. But it can't store data more than 30 mb. After formatting it still show 15gb. I want to know how i can know the real capacity of my pen drive.

As i hear that in market there are fake memory pen drives come, then how we know that it is fake or real?
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    @jcksn...
    If you had bought pendrive recently... then you can approach the store to find out the Prioblem...since it's under warranty...

This is the first time iam listening about the fake pen drives... do such things exist in market...?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Silly suggestion - but worth a try.

Try formatting the pen drive and try storing stuff in it again. Might work.
  • kedarjk
    kedarjk
    I don't think you will get total 16GB of memory space to use.
    It took some memory space for the ratio is 1/10 mostly.
    In our PCs also for 40GB HD, we never get complete 40GB of memory but somewhere between 36 to 37GB. Same case here.
    So I would say, enjoy 15GB๐Ÿ˜€.
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    @Kedarjk
    yeah it's true....
    But the main issue is "But it can't store data more than 30 mb and fake Pendrive"
  • kedarjk
    kedarjk
    Ohhh..I thought after formatting he is able to use whole 15GB.
    Then its weird.
    Contacting a seller is the best option.
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    kedarjk
    I don't think you will get total 16GB of memory space to use.
    It took some memory space for the ratio is 1/10 mostly.
    In our PCs also for 40GB HD, we never get complete 40GB of memory but somewhere between 36 to 37GB. Same case here.
    So I would say, enjoy 15GB๐Ÿ˜€.
    What if I look at the 40 GB this way.

Let us suppose by 40 GB the manufacturers mean
    40000000000 (40 X 10^9) bytes of data
    which is equivalent to 39062500 KB if i divide it by 1024.
    Again if I divide it by 1024 I get 38146.97265625 MB.
    Again dividing by 1024 I get 37.252902984619140625 GB

which is what your PC shows for a 40 GB hard disk
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    This is related to our discussions here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

To know whether the pen drive is fake or not depends on WHERE you get it from. Also, look at the price. 16GB of flash is probably relatively expensive at the moment (about $65 dollars) and if you got it cheap, then something fishy is up.

Unfortunately, the only other way to know whether the drive is fake or not is to physically test it.

Its best to just buy from shops and make sure there is warranty.
  • shadeslayer
    shadeslayer
    it may be possible that its fake ..coz this type of pendrives exists... i better suggest buy the pendrives of reputed company and that to are having warrenty,,dnt buy stuff witout warrenty... now about your pendrive nothing can be done as i think,, njoy a greate 30mb pendrive that is what at the end i can say..
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    i have allready done it. i format it many times, and always it shows capacity of 15 gb, but when i try to store data it got corrupt after 30 mb. i heared that there are some software that tell real memory of any such fake pen drives. any one know this type of software.
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    i really need that type of software because seller give me 5 year wareenty, so to replace me this fake pen drive i need to show him the real memory of it'
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Jckson,

Gone through all posts.
    What i suggest on all...
    1>Go to seller & simply presuurize him to replace.
    2>Maybe 30mb data will be a reason of its corrupted EEPROM.
    3>Ask them to let you show around 15.3Gb of space as it will be or ask them to copy anything on it above 30 Mb.

Hope you will find your solution
    Regards,
    J2R๐Ÿ˜

jcksn
    i really need that type of software because seller give me 5 year wareenty, so to replace me this fake pen drive i need to show him the real memory of it'
  • linda
    linda
    A USB flash drive is a Flash memory - Wikipedia-type Flash memory - Wikipedia Data storage - Wikipedia integrated with a USB - Wikipedia (universal serial bus) interface. USB flash drives are typically removable and rewritable.SStorage capacities typically range from 64 MB to 64 GBtorage capacities typically range from 64 MB to 64 GB.
    --------------
    Linda
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    thenks J2R...
  • zaid_chauhan
    zaid_chauhan
    It's not type fake storage device,
    But many times in Company Manufacturer some device not properly made or configured so if your pen drive is branded then replace it to company

If not then buy a branded pen drive because they give life time warranty
  • pranaysingh
    pranaysingh
    I have bought a new 30gb pen drive. When i transfer data (about 1 gb), it shows that the data has been transferred but when I remove the pen drive and plug it again in my laptop or any other comp, there is no data and the folders are empty, word docs are coverted into some other format that cannnot be deleted.

Please Help!!!
  • scandalouskk
    scandalouskk
    Hello ,
    my pen drive is detecting when it is inserted into port.
    When i tried to open, system displays an message "INSERT DISK INTO DRIVE "..
    My keyboard and mouse are working properly which when connected through same port.
    I tried at different port but in vain.
    wat shall i do???
    Thx in advance
  • nitz3D
    nitz3D
    Problem With Kingston DT 32GB

Hi.. I have bought a Kingston DT 32GB and whenever i am copying anything in it.. the files are getting corrupted.. and some files get disappear and shows some rubbish files.. with rubbish extensions.. What could be the problem.. Could you help..

Nitesh
  • Ashutosh_shukla
    Ashutosh_shukla
    Check for viruses and also try to format once using the command prompt
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Hi, i cheque my fake 16 gb pen drive, it has realy 4 gb memory. Now when i format this pen drive in fat it shows 4 gb space, but when again format it in fat 32 or ntfs it shows 16 gb. Is any way or any tool by which i can got at least that 4 gb of space.

If any one know this type of software or tool plz tell me.
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Hi guys, today i got a software that make my 16 gb fake pen drive into working 4 gb pen drive. If any one have this type of fake pen drive then use this software-"HP Drive Key Boot Utility".

You got it from hp website. I hope it work for you as well...
  • d21deepesh
    d21deepesh
    hey jackson ,
    i think i may help you..
    actually pendrives are usually made up of capacitors(not real aluminium spinddle)
    these capacitors are used as flash memory as charge is stored in there
    in market capacitor can have (at max) 4gb of storage capacity
    to make larger size pendrive we connect the capacitors in series so if one capactior fails(or is of cheap quality)others follow..
    you will encounter problems like this either your data is corrupt or it is not shown at all(but you find size equilent)..
    so
    1. never buy pendrives above 4gb of storage(at least for a year or so)
    2. always look for serial no on your pen-drive(tell me the distributor i'lltell you where to find it)
    genrally this is escaled on your pendrive's metallic part (the one that is plugged into your pc)

• engineer_vinay
    engineer_vinay
    I think you purchased it from street shop. is it right?
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    So buy pendrives of reputed companies...
    I think Kingston is the good one or even transcent
  • abhi_003_sonu
    abhi_003_sonu
    how can i stop my usb pen drive by viruse
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    abhi_003_sonu
    how can i stop my usb pen drive by viruse
    pendrive viruses are mainly activated by autorun.inf . to reduce the problem disable autorun feature(autorun is different from autoplay).

read more about autorun problem Technorama Blog: Autorun problem !! and download the registry crack for stopping it at the end of the post.

also, use autorun eater . get it from here for #-Link-Snipped-#. it will automatically kill malicious autorun.inf files in the usb drives.

additionally you may also use the free panda usb vaccine and use it to vaccinate your drives and usb drives. download from #-Link-Snipped-#

follow the steps and you will be relieved from most usb drive related problems.
    also take care to scan your usb drive once before using it , with an antivirus.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Ya you may have got a fake pen drive.One of my friend also got a pen drive like that.It shows 80Gb storage space but you cant store more than 512Mb in it.He went to the shop and got that replaced.
    Just try to contact the dealer as soon as possible,may be he can help you.
  • rohit bisht
    rohit bisht
    i also think tha same. bcoz there are also chinese pendrive exists in the market , that don't store the capacity writen on them, and also they are not reliable.so u should go for a pendrive of a good company..
  • karge
    karge
    Hello guys,

3 Newest USB pen drive launched and theire name is Key, Spin and Hulk from Strontium.#-Link-Snipped-#
  • sbscetferozpur
    sbscetferozpur
    recently a lot of news about fake pen drives.
    i have heard that fake pen drives contain software which increases its storage capacity but its fake capacity.
    once u format pen drive, it contains no software in it, hence its capacity reduces to a great extent.
    these pen drive are available without any warrenty so we cannot claim anybody later
  • Vikram kumar
    Vikram kumar
    Yes fake pen drives do exist.But in your case a 16gb pendrive is providing 15gb space,what more you want.Its working properly,for example a 2gb pendrive provives space of 1.88gb.
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    Re: Problem With Kingston DT 32GB

nitz3D
    Hi.. I have bought a Kingston DT 32GB and whenever i am copying anything in it.. the files are getting corrupted.. and some files get disappear and shows some rubbish files.. with rubbish extensions.. What could be the problem.. Could you help..

Nitesh
    as we know that the pen drive must be of EEPROM type....so it may happen that you have bought the pendrive which does not support EEPROM
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    how to format pen drive using command prompt??please suggest
  • headRush
    headRush
    jcksn
    i have buy a pen drive of 16 gb. But it can't store data more than 30 mb. After formatting it still show 15gb. I want to know how i can know the real capacity of my pen drive.

As i hear that in market there are fake memory pen drives come, then how we know that it is fake or real?

Very much so sir.

[โ€‹IMG]
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    actually the manufacturing of a usb drive/ pen drive is very cheap....... almost 8-10 bucks only........... so dats why most of the companies doesn't replace them easily........... n there r chances to get even d fake one also........... try buying transcend pen drives......
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    to format, just simply type format:drive_letter;
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    Format it twice or trice.Because i have noticed with my pendrive, formatting single time doesn't effect it.But when i format it twice then i got the efficient space.
  • nvrajasekhar
    nvrajasekhar
    Hi, Simply i am giving you the solution that 'Change your pen drive' otherwise if u want to try to recover the pendrive,it will eat your valuable time. I think the pendrive name is Kingston,because most of the fake flash drives found on that name(Chinese). The operations that can try to do recover are

--Formatting the Pendrive was of no use(even 100 times).
    --Disk Check utility to see whether the bad sectors could be recovered but the program used to hang on initiating it. It will consume ur hours of time,but can't say.
    --On opening the pendrive we can find the PCB was in a pretty bad condition,It had a 2GB RAM chip and was patched in firmware to make it look as it was of 32 GB or 16 gb or something
    --Many Hidden system folders with random names having files more that 2.5 GB of size appeared randomly and you cannot delete them.
    --so on......

Better to dont buy at out side including ebay(may be fake).
    Try to buy the pendrives at reputed showrooms.
  • sachin bankar
    sachin bankar
    jcksn

May be you have bought chinese pen drive.
    Some chinese pen drive have capacity upto 32GB But can store only upto 1 or 2 GB
    So go for Iball,Transcend,Moserbear,HCL etc.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    1) has any1 tried to replace his usb drives??? how was the response????
    2) has any1 used his flash drive as a RAM ????? did it really helped????
    waiting ur replies...............
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    usb as a ram was helpful....
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    but i guess it doesn't speed up the process.......does it........ n dats because actual ram is much faster in operating than the solid state devices........ correct me if i m wrong..........
  • ashishgupta652
    ashishgupta652
    how to make pen drive bootable for installing windows xp.
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    lovejeet
    but i guess it doesn't speed up the process.......does it........ n dats because actual ram is much faster in operating than the solid state devices........ correct me if i m wrong..........
    ofcourse the speed can never be equal to the actual ram u are absolutely right, but it was useful in case u need for example 2 gb ram to run any application and you have less than 2 gb
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    ashishgupta652
    how to make pen drive bootable for installing windows xp.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Use above link for downloading Winsetupfromusb. This software very easy for making windows xp bootable pendrive.
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    4M4N
    ofcourse the speed can never be equal to the actual ram u are absolutely right, but it was useful in case u need for example 2 gb ram to run any application and you have less than 2 gb
    Yes i agree with 4M4N. if wana read more about it then go to this link Readyboost
  • crazy_neo
    crazy_neo
    Thanks for such a good comment.....
  • ramana_slv
    ramana_slv
    shadeslayer
    it may be possible that its fake ..coz this type of pendrives exists... i better suggest buy the pendrives of reputed company and that to are having warrenty,,dnt buy stuff witout warrenty... now about your pendrive nothing can be done as i think,, njoy a greate 30mb pendrive that is what at the end i can say..
    ya shadeslayer your correct. In present days lot of pendrives come to market with high capability but it's not work yaar. So,I better suggest buy the pendrives of reputed company and that to are having warrenty,don't buy stuff witout warrenty...
  • balus143
    balus143
    hi... is it possible to design a circuit diagram for pen drive??i'm studying b.tech final year.. i want to make a pendrive , blutooths.. if know that pls help me or post the ckt diagrams and book links
    Thanku
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
  • hackerboy
    hackerboy
    i came across such types of USB drives when one of my frnz got such drives from north east india......these drives are manufactured especially in china ......so the best option is to buy an original branded PD ...
  • chokolove
    chokolove
    I think the use of pen drives etc needs to be secure especially in services like medical transcription services
  • varfpangit
    varfpangit
    I also read about how data security can be a problem with while using USB devices.
  • loveshore191
    loveshore191
    my sandick cruizer blade broken.how get it's circuite diagram
  • loveshore191
    loveshore191
    plz help me
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Guys, you won't believe, I got a 32 GB Kingston pen drive for just 300 INR. It was working perfectly fine for three month's time and then, it says Removable Disk and ... Where did the disk go??? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Fake pen drives exist, but this is kind of trial pen drive!!! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Prem Anand
    Prem Anand
    I got a HP v250w 16 GB for Rs.927 from flipkart.com......it works fine.
    It has an amazing data transfer rate.๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Guys, you won't believe, I got a 32 GB Kingston pen drive for just 300 INR. It was working perfectly fine for three month's time and then, it says Removable Disk and ... Where did the disk go??? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Guess what, I've had the same experience ๐Ÿ˜‰ . The Pen Drive ceases to work after about 10 runs.

Prem Anand
    I got a HP v250w 16 GB for Rs.927 from flipkart.com......it works fine.
    It has an amazing data transfer rate.๐Ÿ˜
    I've it too and it rocks! Can't believe I've got 16 Gb of personal storage. I also ordered a MicroSD (16 Gb) for my phone ๐Ÿ˜‰
    The_Big_K
    I've it too and it rocks! Can't believe I've got 16 Gb of personal storage. I also ordered a MicroSD (16 Gb) for my phone ๐Ÿ˜‰
    16 GB SanDisk original is 900 INR now... ๐Ÿ˜€ Please update and upgrade your price lists buddies! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Check out at deltapage[dot]com[slash]list for more details about prices... PS: I refer and buy there... ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Praveen-Kumar

May be these pen drive have very poor quality chip, that burn after few uses... Its magic of China made ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Kishan Gupta
    May be these pen drive have very poor quality chip, that burn after few uses... Its magic of China made ๐Ÿ˜‰
    No man... They were using the third grade chips. But the performance was superb!!!
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Praveen-Kumar
    No man... They were using the third grade chips. But the performance was superb!!!
    Thats why it stop working after sometime. It is always better to buy a genuine Pen Drive, as it work for years.
    Kishan Gupta
    Thats why it stop working after sometime. It is always better to buy a genuine Pen Drive, as it work for years.
    Anyways, having had a huge storage for 3 months was awesome!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    what is the maximum size of a pen drive?
    pradeep.pawar
    64 GB As of now in Chennai...
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    pradeep.pawar
    In terms of memory at present the maximum memory in a pen drive is 256GB.

DataTraveler HyperX 3.0 by Kingston - Memory Capacity 64GB, 128GB, 256GB.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    @kishan.and pple mke full of me that 256gb is a hdd nt a pen drive thanks yaar

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm sure a good bunch of our CEans are preparing for the Common Admission Tests conducted every year by Indian Institutes Of Management. Now that the mighty CAT is just...
Aston Martin has released scant details and sketches of its new super car codenamed One-77 that will sell for at least 1.3 million euros excluding tax ($1.95 million), making it...
i want some informatin and features can i add in intra network message service project some feature like i know is as follows 1.application is load when system is boot...
I just came across an interesting review of the new features in Microsoft's latest IE 8 - Read the whole review here - IE8 Beta 2 shows Microsoft is serious...
This debate intends to find out the popular choice of world famous blogging platforms among the crazy engineers from all around the world. I've tried both Wordpress & Blogger in...