USB 3.1 Will Do 10 Gbps But Intel's Thunderbolt 2 Will Rule With 20 Gbps

The USB 3.0 promoter group has announced the availability of USB 3.1 specifications. What's the most important point to notice is that the new standard will offer whooping 10 Gbps data transfer speeds - imagine transferring all of your music collection to your external HDD or flash drive in just a few seconds. Awesome, right? It's going to be a reality in the next few months. The latest release of USB specifications is available for download from the USB-IF website. The SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps uses an enhanced and more efficient data encoding mechanism and will double the effective data through-put performance.

slide

Interesting to note that the specifications allow for compatibility with existing USB 3.0 software stacks and device class protocols along with existing 5 Gbps hubs, gadgets and USB 2.0 hardware.

We learn that the port format hasn't changed. Finalising the specifications on USB 3.1 allows companies like Intel and AMD to start working on the chipsets that have 2x the bandwidth of USB 3.0. No public roadmap has been made available for 3.1 yet, but more about it is expected to be announced at the developer conferences that will begin on August 21st.

While 10 Gbps is more than enough to blow our minds, Intel's Thunderbolt 2 is expected to meet the 20 Gbps speeds by the end of this year. The USB format, however is expected to receive a broader adoption from the hardware makers all over the world.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    20 Gbps is like watching a dream come true movie in Full HD online as if watching on a playback disc

But how many Hardware components and System OS support this high rate of data input into them
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the chipmakers and the operating systems will have to be really fast. I've no clues about Windows 8 capabilities, but Apple seems to be working on it already.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It has nothing to do with OS & speed of OS. It's hardware & thus it will depend on chipset dependency.So, we have to look upon ASRock & Asus when they will embed it in chipset.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let's collect all the coolest Google Search Tricks that make the it the most awesome search engine in the world. Use Google As A Countdown Timer Want to set up...
I was looking up on where/how we are hosting these forums. After some help/information as well as some research i know that we use Xenforo Environment over Zend framework hosted...
I was just browsing through some catalogs of fans yesterday, and i discovered one thing: while table fans and pedestal fans have their speed in the range of 1000-2000 RPM,...
Could anyone explain me briefly about the differences between neutral and ground in an electrical system?
Have you ever asked yourself this question: If hackers can get in, how would I know? There are many answers to this question and it also depends on the operating...