Urgent help please--need to make sense of a circuit

Hey there guys. I need some help to understand the circuit attached and how it functions. This circuit is a zero-crossing detector and its output is connected to a microcontroller pin (the pin is an input). It takes a 230V ac signal and I assume somehow gives a 5V or a 0v signal when there is a zero crossing or no zero crossing. Can someone please explain how this works and what the output of the circuit will be. Thank you so very much. I am really confused and need some help. The zener diodes used are 5.1V diodes.

Its really really really urgent!!!!😔

Here is the link to the circuit:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    This is how I understood the circuit -

1) R1-C1-D1-D2 form a clipping circuit such that, before diode D3, we get a clipped sine wave of +5V to -5V p-p waveform.
    2) R3-Q1-R4 acts as the inverter for this wave and we get a 0V-5V signal at Collector of Q1 corresponding to +5V -5V at the base. Note that D3 prevents the negative part. Strictly speaking D3 is unnecessary because the transistor itself would take care of that.
    3) R7-Q2-R8 inverts this once again so that the 5V-0V signal here is in phase with the +5V -5V input to Q1.
    4) Both these out-of-phase signals are given to CR circuits which act as differentiators giving -ve and +ve pulses at the corresponding edges of both signals.
    5) These Pulse waveforms are combined using the OR logic via diodes such that only the positive going pulses of both waveforms add and pass through to Q3. Note that the pulses coming here correspond to the Zero-crossings of the +5V -5V signal.
    6) Q3 is in inverter configuration such that, at its collector, there is 5V whenever the AC signal is above/below 0. It gives a short pulse of 0V at the zero crossover regions.

Hope this clarifies !

-Karthik
    😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear CEans , I am working on a project for starting a manufacturing unit for production of reprocessed pvc pipes.I want help from senior engineers regarding following:- 1.From where can...
Give colleges autonomy, invite foreign universities A more effective university and college system, with focus on ways to make higher education more accessible, is the need of the hour, academicians...
Hi Big_k I am observing from last few days that , we have got 3 to 5 members online at night but I don’t know why they are not posting...
part of this is copy and paste from another post in a diffrent thread so if it looks simalar it is. hemp you know there is actually another fuel souce...
Folks, I'm wondering if companies have started recruiting in colleges. The campus recruitments were frozen for almost a year because of the economic recession. Any update on the status of...