Updating IT

Dear All

Basically I am a CS student. completed my degree 1989. I have spent my initial carrier by doing programming on Foxpro and clipper.

Somehow my carrier has been diverted to Auditing and Admin activities in an export frim.
But I maintained relationship with EDP teams and guide them to develop ERP for textile industry.

Now I am in my late fourty still I am feeling alone in the present tech world. As I am practising as a consultant for Audit / import & export / education, I would like to update my IT carrier. Still I have killing interest on logic / coding, I wuould request you to advise where I can start.
I am having a idea of learning .NET technology.
Please advise,

Selvam M

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. I've moved this discussion to the jobs/careers section for better visibility.

It becomes easier to offer good suggestions if you could tell us your end-goal for learning. Do you want to switch to a new career or just want to learn for the sake of learning and updating your knowledge?

The end goal would help us tell you where you can start.
  • deepu1999
    deepu1999
    Dear Kaustubh
    As a consultant, I need to sharp and broaden my skills while meeting the client who may have need some info on IT side.

Kindly advise.

Br
    Selvam M
  • deepu1999
    deepu1999
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. I've moved this discussion to the jobs/careers section for better visibility.

It becomes easier to offer good suggestions if you could tell us your end-goal for learning. Do you want to switch to a new career or just want to learn for the sake of learning and updating your knowledge?

Dear Kaustubh
    As a consultant, I need to sharp and broaden my skills while meeting the client who may have need some info on IT side.

Kindly advise.

Br
    Selvam M
  • deepu1999
    deepu1999
    Kaustubh Katdare

Dear Kaustubh
    I am waiting for your advise
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's still not clear what your end goal would be. Is your client specifically working in the ERP domain? If yes, then you will have to find out what specific tools and technologies they are using and then decide which programming language or software tool to learn.
    deepu1999
    Somehow my carrier has been diverted to Auditing and Admin activities in an export frim.
    But I maintained relationship with EDP teams and guide them to develop ERP for textile industry.
    I'm not sure if .NET would fit in the scheme of the game; but of course it may have specific application in the domain you are working.

If your role, while meeting with clients, is purely about advising them about better use of tools and technologies that would be ideal for your clients to achieve their goal; .net could be a good start. I'd however recommend revising all the basics of programming with C++ or any object oriented language. Once you're familiar with the concepts; you will be able to accelerate the entire process of learning .Net language(s).

I'm not sure if the above answer is useful. It'd help if you could be a bit more specific about your end goals.

PS: Responding may take time; but please be assured that someone from our fellow engineers will definitely respond. 😀
  • deepu1999
    deepu1999
    Dear Kaustubh
    Thanks for your reply.
    In case of oops can I revise VB as I have some experience on the same.
    Br
    Selvam M
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm no expert in VB but I vaguely remember that it's not a full fledged object oriented. You may start with C#.net; if you are keen on starting with the .Net platform.
  • deepu1999
    deepu1999
    Dear Kaustubh
    I hope this suggestion could fit to my idea.
    Br
    Selvam

I hope this suggestion fit to my idea
    Tnks
    Br
    Selvam

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Based out of Bengaluru, Bro4u is the hyperlocal services marketplace that caters to the daily needs of people - be it getting an electrician or plumber or hiring laundry, pet...
what is the exact difference between unix and linux ?
Hi good day, Im from Philippines and I would like to ask a simple help from you guys. We will be having our yearly IT CuP event for kids and...
Quote: About the webinar A challenge in 3D printing, or additive manufacturing, is the dearth of published third-party data and quality standards and certification, creating anxiety for engineers. While AM...
Is someone stealing my Wi-Fi connection? Someone just sent an email to me asking how can they find out whether there's any unauthorised use of the wireless connection and ways...