Unable To Play Videos Which Are Downloaded Using IDM (Internet Download Manager)

I use internet download manager to download youtube videos and other sites video. i have been using IDM for past 2 years, but from past 2 month i have a problem - i am able to download videos, after download completed and i open the video using vlc player but video doesn't play. can anyone help me to resolve this issue? thanks for you reply......

Replies

• Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Try reinstalling the software. If this doesn't help then upgrade it to the latest version. If it still doesn't help, then you are probably using a pirated version, which is many cases have bugs. I would recommend you to buy it, great piece of software!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    micheal john
    I use internet download manager to download youtube videos and other sites video. i have been using IDM for past 2 years, but from past 2 month i have a problem - i am able to download videos, after download completed and i open the video using vlc player but video doesn't play. can anyone help me to resolve this issue? thanks for you reply......
    Now, you can download videos but unable to play the video from vlc.
    Which probably means that the fault lies in vlc player & not IDM.

However,I recommend :
    - Play videos (which are already stored in computer & not downloaded using IDM) using vlc.
    - If video plays then problem lies in download manager.
    - If video doesn't play then vlc is corrupted (solution : reinstall vlc)

I hope this solves your problem.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    i open the video using vlc player but video doesn't play
    Did you try running the video using any other video player?
    If not, re-install / repair the IDM.

-CB
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Calm down everyone, the issue is not what you all think so, Since past two months, youtube has started to store the video and audio parts of any file separately. So when you download anything from youtube, instead of the .flv now you get .mpa and .mp4 which are two parts of same file. To run videos you now have to download both separetely, this can be done by keeping close eye on IDM-popups for mp4 and mpa, then compile both using some mixer to create one file which supports the algorithm of youtube to demix them, and then you have a .flv file which can be played.

So basically instead of .flv you now have

.flv = .mp4 + .mpa

and also you cannot play these two formats separately if crazy ideas pop in your brain as they are siamese twins, useless without the other. 😛
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    The best way I found in downloading videos from from YouTube is using Firefox Browser with an add-on called flash video downloader. This is a perfect alternative.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nayan Goenka
    So when you download anything from youtube, instead of the .flv now you get .mpa and .mp4 which are two parts of same file.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    FLV & MP4 are not same File containers.
    I repeat.
    FLV & MP4 are not same file containers.

FLV is proprietary container developed by Adobe.
    While MP4 is standarized by ISO in MPEG-4 family.
    So logically again it's proved that .FLV =/= .MP4 + .MPA

PS : I have been downloading all youtube videos from #-Link-Snipped-# in MP4 format since last 3 years.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    FLV & MP4 are not same File containers.
    I repeat.
    FLV & MP4 are not same file containers.

FLV is proprietary container developed by Adobe.
    While MP4 is standarized by ISO in MPEG-4 family.
    So logically again it's proved that .FLV =/= .MP4 + .MPA

PS : I have been downloading all youtube videos from #-Link-Snipped-# in MP4 format since last 3 years.
    Read between the lines, my point was, instead of a video in one format like .flv or .mp4 or .avi, youtube has started divinding its files into two parts.

or in more simple terms,
    5 oranges + 4 apples = 1 basket
    this does not mean

5+4=1

duh.. 😨
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    LOL.
    Youtube has always provided multiple formats.
    Earlier IDM used to provide only .flv format,so you thought "Youtube provides" only flv.
    Now,In latest patch IDM provides choice to download the video either in flv or mp4,so you think "Youtube provides" an apple with an orange.

Okay,Copy any youtube HD video url in #-Link-Snipped-# & you'll see it provides : MP4,avi,flv & even mp3.
    So,does it mean that Youtube stores MP4,AVI,FLV in different locations ?Hell I doubt it!

What I mean is : It's nothing to do with Youtube,This is totally software end.Which in your case : IDM.

It would be nice of you if you link the "official blog or article" saying that Youtube stores audio & video data in different location.
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Nayan Goenka
    Calm down everyone, the issue is not what you all think so, Since past two months, youtube has started to store the video and audio parts of any file separately. So when you download anything from youtube, instead of the .flv now you get .mpa and .mp4 which are two parts of same file. To run videos you now have to download both separetely, this can be done by keeping close eye on IDM-popups for mp4 and mpa, then compile both using some mixer to create one file which supports the algorithm of youtube to demix them, and then you have a .flv file which can be played.

.flv = .mp4 + .mpa

and also you cannot play these two formats separately if crazy ideas pop in your brain as they are siamese twins, useless without the other. 😛
    you are right, when i IDM-popup it is showing MPA and MP4 format files not flv. But 1) what is the reason for youtube to separete audio and video files into two separete format? and
    2) do you have any solution for this?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    micheal john
    you are right, when i IDM-popup it is showing MPA and MP4 format files not flv. But 1) what is the reason for youtube to separete audio and video files into two separete format? and
    2) do you have any solution for this?
    Like I said,It's not "Youtube provides".
    It is what "IDM" provides.

Go to #-Link-Snipped-# & copy the url of the video you wanna download.
    And plenty download options will pop.

Or you can even use extension/addon in Firefox like what #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned.
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Guys Google have changed a lot of their buffering techniques! The videos from YouTube are buffered into different files and are linked together while playback. Earlier there was a method better than downloading the videos, which was searching for your videos in the cache folder of Chrome, but now they have changed that too.

Flash Video Downloader is the best as a Firefox extension. With this add-on you can select to download in all the formats, YouTube has stored the video on their server.
  • pushkar jain
    pushkar jain
    Nayan Goenka

.flv = .mp4 + .mpa

which mixing software we have to use???and in google chrome browser i am not getting the options for dowloading videos...by clicking(in chrome) on idm it asks me to download some different files(i think links) which are just around 10kb memory wat to do for this....
  • pushkar jain
    pushkar jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    LOL.
    Youtube has always provided multiple formats.
    Earlier IDM used to provide only .flv format,so you thought "Youtube provides" only flv.
    Now,In latest patch IDM provides choice to download the video either in flv or mp4,so you think "Youtube provides" an apple with an orange.

Okay,Copy any youtube HD video url in #-Link-Snipped-# & you'll see it provides : MP4,avi,flv & even mp3.
    So,does it mean that Youtube stores MP4,AVI,FLV in different locations ?Hell I doubt it!

What I mean is : It's nothing to do with Youtube,This is totally software end.Which in your case : IDM.

It would be nice of you if you link the "official blog or article" saying that Youtube stores audio & video data in different location.

dude could u xplain some elaborately how to download videos by using the method u suggested....thanx in advance
  • pushkar jain
    pushkar jain
    one more way is install "video download helper" add on in firefox then u can get the link for downloading the required video which should be pasted in idm and get ur videos and njoy.....
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    micheal john
    I use internet download manager to download youtube videos and other sites video....thanks for you reply......
    pushkar jain
    dude could u xplain some elaborately how to download videos by using the method u suggested....thanx in advance

Check out this link, maybe it can help:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • VVikash
    VVikash
    micheal john
    You Just use IDM Latest version (idm 6.19) and Patch it, otherwise if you want to download youtube videos, then add some add-on in mozilla Like 1-click youtube (Link: #-Link-Snipped-# ) easy youtube video downloader and many more add on available for firefox browser, and also add Download them all (DownThemAll! – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)) and Enjoy.....
  • Raghu vara teja
    Raghu vara teja
    VVikash
    You Just use IDM Latest version (idm 6.19) and Patch it, otherwise if you want to download youtube videos, then add some add-on in mozilla Like 1-click youtube (Link: #-Link-Snipped-# ) easy youtube video downloader and many more add on available for firefox browser, and also add Download them all (DownThemAll! – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)) and Enjoy.....
    Can u suggest patch for IDM in Windows 8.1
  • Raghu vara teja
    Raghu vara teja
  • Shane Randal
    Shane Randal
    I think the problem lies with the encoding.
    Just follow these steps.
    go to Program Files >> Google >> Chrome >> Application
    >>(recent version of chrome, which would be something like 38.0.2125.111)
    here, look for a file named "ffmpegsumo.dll". Just rename this file.
    Restart Chrome, open youtube and try downloading again.

[Update]: Renaming ffmpegsumo.dll doesn't work anymore. But try downloading the plugin #-Link-Snipped-# which disables the youtube HTML5 player. You will be able to download youtube videos through IDM as you used to.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    The problem is that officially youtube don't want you to download videos from it, because that further lead to piracy .So Downloading videos is not simple now as before we used to do it.And this problem is also existing if you use keepvid,
    So follow these steps
    1)if you want to download any video ,go to Address bar ,and type "SS" after the link eg. #-Link-Snipped-# . this will direct you to website savefromnt
    where you have option of downloading it from in differnt format ,and also with Idm.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Raghu vara teja
    Search for idm hosts file method ,it works for all version of idm and windows.
  • ABHI SAVALIYA
    ABHI SAVALIYA
    SOLVED BY ME!!

GUYS ..
    FOLLOW THESE STEPS

JUST OPEN NEW TAB IN GOOGLE CHROME
    DRAG DOWNLOADED FILE IN NEW TAB!!!
    VIDEO WORKS FINE!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE SHOWN HOW TO PROCEED (IN PICS)!!!!!!
  • batpool52!
    batpool52!
    Very common issue. You'll need to download videos via clipconverter.cc
  • Shane Randal
    Shane Randal
    Issue Finally Solved.
    Cause :

The problem is all because of HTML5 player. Due to forced webM VP8 format, IDM was unable to download separate files and combine them to generate a proper video.
    Solution :
    Download a plugin that disables HTML5 player.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Previously, just renaming a file called "ffmpegsumo.dll" would disable the HTML5 player, but since the latest chrome update, renaming this file would crash the video player. So it won't solve the problem anymore.
  • waquar alam
    waquar alam
    micheal john
    Dont be panic dear..
    m giving u solution..
    download pot player and update its codes..
    run that video using this..
    it will play like charm..
    cheers
  • waquar alam
    waquar alam
    Dont be panic dear..
    m giving u solution..
    download pot player and update its codes..
    run that video using this..
    it will play like charm..
    cheers
  • Ryanspaz
    Ryanspaz
    Its the HTML5 player use disable HTML5 palyer extension in the chrome extension and walla its done not IDM problem
  • Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    If you really want to download the youtube videos, try to download by IDM by usin this website ► savefrom.net this might work 😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Just get youtube-dl : #-Link-Snipped-#

Simple & fast.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I know Microsoft is making a big deal of the XBOX ONE; but trust me, you gotta see this - I hope you're excited about the future 😉
Just saw a website webprofitsdirect.in and they claim to have brought work from home easier in India. Has anyone actually used this and earned cash for real? Just curious.😒
Yahoo's shopping spree hasn't ended yet since it started acquiring startups from quite some time as Marissa Mayer the CEO, believes that these companies are aligned to Yahoo's business. After...
Swimming is something which I have always loved, and whenever I find time to spare, I would straight away head to the pool. For me it's a workout which is...
I am too lazy to surf today, anyone willing to find me a direct download link for Hackintosh 10.8 OS, No torrents please 😁 someone find me a good download...