Ultrabook or Macbook Pro?

I want to buy a laptop and I'm not sure which one is best for me ๐Ÿ˜”

My usage: Surfing, reading ebooks, video chatting, watching HD movies (sometimes on sunday).

That's it ๐Ÿ˜€ and I want a long battery life as I want to stay online for 9 to 10 hours per day.

The Ultrabook with Windows 8 would be awesome but not sure about the battery life ๐Ÿ˜€
My brother is an alien so he is using Alienware laptop.

I don't play games ๐Ÿ˜€

I want a laptop that I can use for next 3 - 4 years ๐Ÿ˜€ with good battery life.

Any suggestion ? Anyone have the bad experience with Macbook?

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Ultrabook = Made just so its battery efficient. So these are most battery efficient.
    Macbook = Only if you've extra money that you wanna throw in dustbin anyways & want to show off (which you cannot do with some 20K HCL laptop having same config), no features... ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Never used an ultrabook and have no idea about the battery life. The reviews online suggest that the best of the ultrabooks have a battery life of about 6-7 hours. On the contrary, Apple's famous for their 9-10 hour battery life. Unfortunately, Apple products are costly.

#-Link-Snipped-# owns a MacBook Pro and #-Link-Snipped-# has a MacBook. I'm tagging them to tell you a bit about the battery life of the Macs.

If you want a Mac with longer battery life; I'd recommend MacBook Air. But note that it does not come with an optical drive.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    [Prototype]
    Ultrabook = Made just so its battery efficient. So these are most battery efficient.
    Macbook = Only if you've extra money that you wanna throw in dustbin anyways & want to show off (which you cannot do with some 20K HCL laptop having same config), no features... ๐Ÿ˜›
    No, I don't want to showoff ๐Ÿ˜€ But think this way, if you buy a windows laptop and after a year its battery dies and then you buy another laptop, 1+1 = 2, that means 2x price ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Now you buy a macbook and that works fine for 3 - 4 years then what is better?
    I heard that macbook works fine for 3 to 4 years ๐Ÿ˜€ While windows machine dies soon ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    The_Big_K
    Never used an ultrabook and have no idea about the battery life. The reviews online suggest that the best of the ultrabooks have a battery life of about 6-7 hours. On the contrary, Apple's famous for their 9-10 hour battery life. Unfortunately, Apple products are costly.

#-Link-Snipped-# owns a MacBook Pro and #-Link-Snipped-# has a MacBook. I'm tagging them to tell you a bit about the battery life of the Macs.

If you want a Mac with longer battery life; I'd recommend MacBook Air. But note that it does not come with an optical drive.

Then macbook air is in my list ๐Ÿ˜€ I don't need optical drive ๐Ÿ˜€ But I'm afraid, what if I drop it on the floor? it will break like an iPhone? Waiting for answer from #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm willing to bet that neither of them have carried out a drop test. But when you own a pricy gadget, dropping it on the floor is not an option. If you really fear dropping your lappy; I'd recommend opting for a 'Netbook' [you can get one really cheap] and use it the way you want.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    ErAnushka
    No, I don't want to showoff ๐Ÿ˜€ But think this way, if you buy a windows laptop and after a year its battery dies and then you buy another laptop, 1+1 = 2, that means 2x price ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Now you buy a macbook and that works fine for 3 - 4 years then what is better?
    I heard that macbook works fine for 3 to 4 years ๐Ÿ˜€ While windows machine dies soon ๐Ÿ˜”
    Don't agree with that, the battery costs 2.5K & most of laptops comes with 3 years warranty on battery. You don't have to buy a new laptop just because the battery went dead.

Since your applications are casual & as far as durability is concerned, I guess Macbook is made up of aluminum (or some metal) so its pretty tough.

As far as specs are concerned, its just far too inferior than the price they ask for.

Battery life of ultrabooks are same as macbook if not better. If you wait a little bit, I am sure you'll find better ones coming.

There you can check, pretty reputed magazine have a good comparison.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ErAnushka
    Then macbook air is in my list ๐Ÿ˜€ I don't need optical drive ๐Ÿ˜€ But I'm afraid, what if I drop it on the floor? it will break like an iPhone? Waiting for answer from #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ˜€
    I have been using my Macbook for more than an year now, and I love its battery time. Initially, I got almost 8-9 hours of battery time. and even today, I can go for 7.5-8 hours straight without the charger.
    Apart from that, once you get used to using Mac OS X, you start losing interest in Windows. (I hope it is not just me. ๐Ÿ˜˜ ) It is the overall interface and the way things are designed that keep you hooked on to the OS X.
    Let us know if you have some specific queries about what you want to do with a Mac and we can tell you if it is best suited for you.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    utlrabook might give tough competition to mac book air, can MAC bookbattery be replaced? just asking? for other vendors - you can battery online if it dies out (i did tht twice)

As far as your requirement goes, I dont think I would have spent on mac given that its heavily priced.You dont play games- so you dont need higher processing speeds as well. You can well settle for a netbook . Since ultrabooks are new to the market, they are highly priced- so again I dont see value for money in your case
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    The_Big_K
    I'm willing to bet that neither of them have carried out a drop test. But when you own a pricy gadget, dropping it on the floor is not an option. If you really fear dropping your lappy; I'd recommend opting for a 'Netbook' [you can get one really cheap] and use it the way you want.
    That is what I'm using right now ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    Omg, you're right about the "same features but more price" ๐Ÿ˜•
    one thing I love the most is apple logo and long battery life.
    ultrabooks may have long battery life too, but the question is, after a year which one will give the more battery life ๐Ÿ˜€ I think Windows lose at here.

Microsoft is also going to launch "Surface" ultrabook ๐Ÿ˜€ Not sure how it will be, the first look was awesome ๐Ÿ˜
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    AbraKaDabra
    I have been using my Macbook for more than an year now, and I love its battery time. Initially, I got almost 8-9 hours of battery time. and even today, I can go for 7.5-8 hours straight without the charger.
    Apart from that, once you get used to using Mac OS X, you start losing interest in Windows. (I hope it is not just me. ๐Ÿ˜˜ ) It is the overall interface and the way things are designed that keep you hooked on to the OS X.
    Let us know if you have some specific queries about what you want to do with a Mac and we can tell you if it is best suited for you.

Omg 8-9 hours after a year? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

My previous netbook was nice but its battery died after 1.5 year ๐Ÿ˜”

Can't wait to get a mac ๐Ÿ˜€ but how Macbook pro and Macbook air are different?

Yes, I already lost my interest in Windows after Windows vista, I wasted 80K INR for the laptop that comes with a pre-installed Windows vista. My brother sold it at 20K, and bought a netbook for me which comes with Windows 7, I got the battery problem, He sold it at only 8K INR. and now I'm using another netbook with Windows 7 ๐Ÿ˜€ I don't have problems with it right now.

But I need a netbook which atleast stay alive for 4 years so I don't have to move my files and install programs again and again ๐Ÿ˜€

My budget is 90K (90,000) INR ๐Ÿ˜€ I've some questions before buying the Macbook ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Do you have scratch on the screen ? I never touch the screen but my friends does.

2. What is the disadvantage of Macbook pro?

3. Can I buy a new battery for it?

4. Can I upgrade the storage capacity?

5. Can you carry the macbook in your bag with other books? what if someone accidentally walk on the bag?

6. I've some videos and I'm in love with Mac OS X ๐Ÿ˜ but I like Windows 8 too ๐Ÿ˜€ Will you buy a Windows 8 ultrabook after using Macbook?

7. How much you use your Macbook ? ๐Ÿ˜€ for 5 hours ? I use 9 to 10 hours per day but I keep my netbook on sleep mode for 2 to 3 hours ๐Ÿ˜€

8. Do I have to install updates ? Like I'm updating my windows? or I've to pay for the updates ?

9. Can I track the macbook if its stolen, or can I lock it? What you do to secure it?

10. Do I need an active internet connection, whenever I try to login to the Macbook ? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    durga
    utlrabook might give tough competition to mac book air, can MAC bookbattery be replaced? just asking? for other vendors - you can battery online if it dies out (i did tht twice)

As far as your requirement goes, I dont think I would have spent on mac given that its heavily priced.You dont play games- so you dont need higher processing speeds as well. You can well settle for a netbook . Since ultrabooks are new to the market, they are highly priced- so again I dont see value for money in your case
    But Netbooks are so slow in performance ๐Ÿ˜” Sometimes it freeze when I'm online on skype and google talk, I don't play games but I do much more at the same time ๐Ÿ˜€
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    ErAnushka
    Omg, you're right about the "same features but more price" ๐Ÿ˜•
    one thing I love the most is apple logo and long battery life.
    ultrabooks may have long battery life too, but the question is, after a year which one will give the more battery life ๐Ÿ˜€ I think Windows lose at here.

Microsoft is also going to launch "Surface" ultrabook ๐Ÿ˜€ Not sure how it will be, the first look was awesome ๐Ÿ˜
    Sorry then, if you want recommendations on powerful machines which are priced properly, I can recommend better.

If budget is not a problem & requirements are little, then you can surely go with Apple.

Honestly speaking, I just hate them just because they don't deliver the hardware that's reasonable for the price they ask. Of course, if you're ready to spend & don't exactly have any hardcore use, then that's exactly what they are made for.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    [Prototype]
    Sorry then, if you want recommendations on powerful machines which are priced properly, I can recommend better.

If budget is not a problem & requirements are little, then you can surely go with Apple.

Honestly speaking, I just hate them just because they don't deliver the hardware that's reasonable for the price they ask. Of course, if you're ready to spend & don't exactly have any hardcore use, then that's exactly what they are made for.

Sounds like Apple is like a real Apple which looks red, rich and tasty but inside it's nothing special โ˜• But I want to know how it taste like ๐Ÿ˜

Do you have any better laptop machines in mind? please share it ๐Ÿ˜€

And what about iPad? ๐Ÿ˜€ I can carry it easily at college without any problem ๐Ÿ˜€ but is it capable of fulfill my needs? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would suggest you Samsung Note 2 or Google Nexus 7.

If the desired work is completed by spending fewer bucks then why spend more ?

Respect the dough.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    Troll_So_Hard
    I would suggest you Samsung Note 2 or Google Nexus 7.

If the desired work is completed by spending fewer bucks then why spend more ?

Respect the dough.
    But I already have Samsung Galaxy S III ๐Ÿ˜ณ
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ErAnushka
    But I already have Samsung Galaxy S III ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    You seem to be a gadget freak. I recommend participating in the following thread: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    The_Big_K
    You seem to be a gadget freak. I recommend participating in the following thread: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Sure ๐Ÿ˜€ Once I buy a macbook or ultrabook ^_^
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    My MacBook Pro will soon be an year old, and it gives me a battery life of 8hrs, even after watching two back to back movies and browsing the web in between. I do use my Mac at very low brightness, but still. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    yup but they die exactly the day the warranty goes off. i am experiencing it kindly tell one more statement why i should not go for macbook
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Punch_a_Tantra
    My MacBook Pro will soon be an year old, and it gives me a battery life of 8hrs, even after watching two back to back movies and browsing the web in between. I do use my Mac at very low brightness, but still. ๐Ÿ˜€
    apple proving its mettle here
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    jeffrey samuel
    yup but they die exactly the day the warranty goes off

i am experiencing it kindly tell one more statement why i should not go for macbook
    Price of the apple doesn't justify the hardware. For me, that's the most significant reason for not going for apple.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    yup but low cost lower performance are for the present time only

but when i go for pricy option i get more reliability in terms of operation

i can expect an apple to deliver me the same output on day 100 as in day 1

this is not so in other lappy models i have used
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    Punch_a_Tantra
    Another reason to get a mac ๐Ÿ˜€
  • optimystix@
    optimystix@
    MAcbook pro

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Rover was sent to the red planet in search of "life" and "the role of water" and for many other beneficiary tasks. But now the scientists are thinking otherwise. They...
While surfing web ,almost every one of us stumble upon some link and articles and want to save it for later reference or want to have some dairy kind of...
Name: Ashish Ahuja *Engineering Trade: Computer Science Location: Lucknow *Occupation: (Student|Working|Self-Employed|Unemployed; details please!) I am a student pursuing my Bachelor of technology from Babu Banarasi Das Institute of Technology and...
With iPhone 5 yesterday a new lightning connector was launched. But, if you have some devices with a 30-pin connector already, you will definitely think that this new connector is...
I Completed my graduation this year . I'm very much interested to start my own business. So, i decided to start Outsourcing Company but i don't know how to get...