Ubuntu How-to => Flash and Java

Many of the websites today require flash/java to view their content. However since they are not open source, they're not bundled in the default installation.

To install them first enable the requisite repos. (Read more about it in #-Link-Snipped-#)

NOTE: Whatever you see in bold is keyboard input

1. Press alt + F2 then type gnome-terminal (in case you use GNOME) or konsole (in case you use KDE) to fire up your terminal window.

2. Switch to the super user. Type sudo -i and when prompted, give your password.

WARNING - Working in the superuser mode is dangerous and not recommended unless you know what you're doing. Exit the superuser mode immediately after you have performed the installation. Type exit to quit the super user mode and return to your normal user login.

3. Type apt-get update (This will update your repository list.)

4. Type apt-get install adobe-flashplugin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
If you use Ubuntu 7.10 or something older than that omit the adobe-flashplugin. Instead download the player directly from #-Link-Snipped-#.

5. After the installation is over, type
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

That's it you're all set to watch videos on Youtube or play games on miniclip!!

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    thats quite nice information. Embarassed to say But I used to do the installations from the synaptic package manager . sigh. I think I need to move on towards terminal installs. Thanks!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Synaptic is a pretty nice app. But for new users it can be quite a challenge as sometimes there are lots and lots of options available even after searching for a specific software.

There is a package available in ubuntu ubuntu-restricted-extras that will install flash, java, and mp3 codecs, et al in one go. I don't use it because it installs lots other stuff that I don't need.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi! Guys Can u suggest me the way to convert KINETIC energy to ELECTRICAL energy?? Its Urgent....................
Hello everyone, I am in the final year of Computer Science Engineering and right now i am preparing for SCJP (Sun Certification for Java Programmer) certification and in this particular...
Hi Friends, I'm an electrical enginneer now working as broadcast engineer at Broadcasting Corporation Of India.I love playing chess & cricket.My aim is to be a good webdesigner.I joined here...
CEans, This post is aimed at informing you that our CE Events section is open for everyone to post information about tech-fests being organized in various colleges. If your college...
I need solution manual for Hughes Electrical and electronics technology. where can i get this? Please Help me.