Ubuntu Edge : Where Two Worlds Meet.

4 days ago on Ubuntu official website, there was countdown going on. Finally yesterday countdown end & Canonical announced Ubuntu Edge.

What is Ubuntu Edge ?
The next generation smartphone with Dual-boot feature, so you can dual-boot Ubuntu Touch & Google's Android in a single hardware, like you dual-boot in computers.Isn't it cool ?
Canonical is looking for fund of Dualboot Ubuntu-Edge through $32 Million Indiegogo campaign. It's hardly been 12 hours & around 30 lakhs already been collected.

edge-1
concepts-1
ui-3
Technical Specifications :
  • Ubuntu Desktop when docked
  • Dimension : 64x9x124 mm
  • Multi-core Fastest CPU (Which one,still not announced)
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 128 GB Storage
  • 4.5 inch 720p Sapphire crystal display
  • 8MP Rear camera
  • 2 MP Front camera
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0 !
  • Si Anode Li-ion battery
  • Wifi dual-band 802.11n
  • GPS, barometer,accelerometer
  • HD Audio
There are som many new features in this gadget, I am too bored to jot it.For more information,read : Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo
Feel free to ask queries in the mentioned link.

Spread the word peeps : #-Link-Snipped-#
We want this !

Source : Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    AWESOME..
    Android is great on UI and apps, and no one can beat Ubuntu (I hope this remains true for mobile too) for speed.

Dying to get the reviews for the device.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    CrazyGirl
    AWESOME..
    Android is great on UI and apps, and no one can beat Ubuntu (I hope this remains true for mobile too) for speed.

Dying to get the reviews for the device.
    Have you noticed one thing ? There are no buttons on the screen.
    Maybe the first mobile ever with this feature ?

Processor faster than Snapdragon 800 + other hardware upgrades.This product won't be cheap at all.If this product will be sold with 100$ more than current price of iphone, then Apple's throne will be sabotaged.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I would prefer at least one button on screen 😁

I'm more interested about the LTE bands. Just 2 is quite limiting (and he specifically said the target was US & Europe markets). How about the rest of the world?

I seriously hope it won't cost $800 at launch.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    [quote="ash, post: 286519, member: 3207"How about the rest of the world?[/quote]
    Isn't it always like that ? Asian & Africa release in always way too late, right ?

Have you tried Ubuntu Touch in Nexus 4 ? Trust me buddy, you won't need a single button on screen with the interface Ubuntu touch is developed. Canonical developers are quite dope in their UI design.
    BTW you'll be surprised by seeing that Ubuntu Touch consumes very less battery that it can survive more than 1.75 days.However, in beta version of Ubuntu Touch 13.04 image we still haven't used another applications other than base applications, even lenses are inaccessible at this moment.
    So, battery performance might decrease with more applications installed.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    Isn't it always like that ? Asian & Africa release in always way too late, right ?

Have you tried Ubuntu Touch in Nexus 4 ? Trust me buddy, you won't need a single button on screen with the interface Ubuntu touch is developed. Canonical developers are quite dope in their UI design.
    BTW you'll be surprised by seeing that Ubuntu Touch consumes very less battery that it can survive more than 1.75 days.However, in beta version of Ubuntu Touch 13.04 image we still haven't used another applications other than base applications, even lenses are inaccessible at this moment.
    So, battery performance might decrease with more applications installed.
    Haven't tried it yet. Not really concerned about the interface. I just need 1 button to exit whatever application is running at full screen 😀 A switch to return to home no matter where I am.

Asia & Africa markets are potentially the biggest telecommunications markets, especially when LTE deployment is at full. Make sense to target these areas in the initial run (May 2014?), unless Ubuntu is specifically just targeting enthusiasts in rich countries.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    Make sense to target these areas in the initial run (May 2014?), unless Ubuntu is specifically just targeting enthusiasts in rich countries.
    This is side project of Ubuntu, no wonder why they called for crowd-funding for Ubuntu-Edge to checkout how many are interested in dual-boot smartphone.
    If anyone wish to use Android & Ubuntu, they can get mid-range Google Nexus 4 & enjoy both the world (but not simultaneously)

ash
    I just need 1 button to exit whatever application is running at full screen 😀 A switch to return to home no matter where I am.
    You don't need to do that.

ash
    Asia & Africa markets are potentially the biggest telecommunications markets
    In terms of mid-range & low-end phones, Also the population is maximum in Asian countries the statistics says so.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    That's amazing, man! I wanted to boot Ubuntu touch on my Nexus, but alas! Anyways, looks like canonical is doing it right this time. Having an android dual boot is a big factor. Now, the phone won't target only Ubuntu lovers, android lovers can also jump in. And with 4 GB RAM, who the hell would not want it?!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I seriously doubt they'll be able to raise $32m for the project. But you never know! I think they should quickly approach a few VC firms who might be interested in investing.

I like the concept of carrying my computer in my pockets and attaching it to any available display. It still doesn't eliminate the need of keyboards and mouse. I think uBuntu's interface will have to be upgraded so that it can be easily used without a dedicated keyboard or mouse.

I'd buy the phone if it's priced around $299.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd buy the phone if it's priced around $299.
    You kidding me,right ? Just 15K for such awesome gadget ?
    This phone has 4 GB RAM,128 GB HD,2 awesome OS,I assure you they will use processor better than Snapdragon 800.

It will be cost more than $600 if the crowdfunding will be successful.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Ubuntu Edge crossed $3.1M USD in first day. Our target is $32M USD, which mathematically shouldn't take more than 10-11 days to reach it's goal.

Few lucky people have already payed $600 USD for first Ubuntu Edge smartphones.
    Statistics : 5044 out of 5000 claimed!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    You don't need to do that.
    haha, how blasé of you 😛 Its very convenient to have a button at the front that can perform the equivalent of Win Key + M (or Ctrl-Alt-D in Ubuntu) , to quickly get rid/minimize of whatever running application you have so you can quickly exist to desktop view (lets say from browsing CE or playing a game) and run another app, e.g call someone or message. It certainly works well in existing android/iPhone platforms. This button can also be programmed to perform other custom actions.

In terms of mid-range & low-end phones, Also the population is maximum in Asian countries the statistics says so.
    Well, lets look at it at a different perspective. Data demand is increasing exponentially at all regions, whether its due to information sharing, video streaming, etc. We can say that on one hand, this is because there are devices which enable consumers to use and enjoy all this (smartphones & tablets- powerful devices with high end capabilities).

On the other hand, the telecommunications infrastructure was developed to allow high speed, reliable and low latency access. Whilst GSM/CDMA evolved through WCDMA, and now LTE, the consumer habits change to rely on their mobile devices to perform functions that were previously reserved for computer usage only.

Why I pick on LTE is from the simple fact that it is a great enabler for consumers to further move away from the desktop computing paradigm into a mobile one. LTE is the real broadband on the go- fast speeds with low latency. I've tested this technology many times, 1080p video streaming, video conferencing and multiplayer gaming was flawless.

And why do I believe African & Asian countries are the hottest? In Africa, wireline broadband to each home is not so prevalent. Its expensive to roll out from scratch, even with government subsidy. So that's where LTE comes in. Telcos who were hesitant to roll out 3G due to high costs can find that LTE brings a more cost effective ecosystem. You can also cover huge swaths of areas with a few base stations, with varying population densities. That's why there is a strong drive for telcos in Africa to invest in LTE radio access and backhaul. Once you have this in place, consumers will rely more on their mobile devices, even up to high end ones because they enable the experience they would have with a computer.

In Asia, well.. Japan & Korea are pretty much pioneering LTE to further levels (LTE-Advanced already commercialized!), and are the perfect example of the shift of desktop to mobile paradigm goes in terms of media experience. China will soon experience a similar wave. In South East Asia, demand for tablets has increased 32%, more than laptops. At least in Malaysia, there is very strong demand for high end devices.

In India, well, you are the best judge of that. All I can say from being in the telco industry is that the demand of telco equipment there has increased there even more than before. In fact, India is considered THE hottest telco market. 3G had some troubles deploying there, but LTE will surely be more successful. Sure, more first time consumers are tending towards low and mid range phones as income rises, but surely there is a significant proportion of users in India that has the economic propensity to obtain higher end phones, significant enough to compete against Europe or US?

At the end, when LTE matures over time, populations that benefit the most from the shift to mobile devices will drive the market. Not just US or Europe. They are certainly not the only prime movers. People will use their mobile devices for a lot of things, thus high end devices will always have strong demand worldwide.

... hence why I wondered, if Ubuntu will limit to just 2 bands 😛
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Just flash Ubuntu Touch in your device,Use it for few minutes & you'll notice that even without any button,you can turn off the task or switch the task easoly.
    The developers have optimized UI in such a way that you don't need any button.

Your opinions on this will change once you'll try Ubuntu touch,I bet.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I seriously doubt they'll be able to raise $32m for the project. But you never know! I think they should quickly approach a few VC firms who might be interested in investing.
    I'll take my words back, folks! Looks like uBuntu's seriously got awesome people with deep pockets! In less than 12 hours, they've reached 10% of their total goal of $32m! That's totally *CRAZY*

At the time of writing, they've already accumulated $4 million+ and there are 29 days left!

Crazy World!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    $6.17 Million collected : 27 Days left.

Canonical has lowered the price of Ubuntu Edge.Now available at $675, $725 & $775.
    $675 is sold out. In $1400 you can get two Ubuntu Edge.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Just flash Ubuntu Touch in your device,Use it for few minutes & you'll notice that even without any button,you can turn off the task or switch the task easoly.
    The developers have optimized UI in such a way that you don't need any button.

Your opinions on this will change once you'll try Ubuntu touch,I bet.
    I won't flash it on my S3, it looks very unstable from the vids I saw.

But yes, the interface is nice. Reminiscent of swiping on the N9 😀 I wonder if Ubuntu developers got influence from that?

However, is there still a way to kill all process with one go? Swiping multiple applications will just build up in the memory, and if an application hangs (which does happen on Linux), it would be nice to force close it if gestures do not respond.

Hence my preference for a button at the front.. or at least, if no physical button will existing in Ubuntu Edge, a "master" gesture that is a separate process from the GUI in case it doesn't respond.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    I won't flash it on my S3, it looks very unstable from the vids I saw.
    I agree, that port is not stable.

ash
    However, is there still a way to kill all process with one go? Swiping multiple applications will just build up in the memory, and if an application hangs (which does happen on Linux), it would be nice to force close it if gestures do not respond.
    The feature of close-apps is still not added. I don't know about latest 13.04 build though.
    Swap-area is for rescue !
    Applications hang in Linux ? Honestly buddy, the only application that was hanging in my Linux desktop was "Steam beta", everything fixed now.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    Applications hang in Linux ? Honestly buddy, the only application that was hanging in my Linux desktop was "Steam beta", everything fixed now.
    Haha, lucky for you 😉 Applications on any operating systems are susceptible to hang. Just that Linux is more robust in their process handling. I developed a surveillance capturing system based on Linux for a client once, and I was facing teething issues to get the video application stable to run 24/7.

Anyhow, of course, Linux > other OS out there. Peace 😁
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    BTW you would love to know a Mind effing bug of Ubuntu Touch.
    You can't switch off the phone from UI, you cant long press switch-off button to turn the phone down.
    Even by any chance you shut the phone, the battery will still drain.
    Irritating, isn't it ? 😡
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update : Ubuntu Edge is running $500,000 donation behind. The donation seems lowering down. Canonical should add some awesome perks to attract more donations, else this awesome project will not be able to make it.
    And, I will be extremely sad 😔
  • lal
    lal
    Just $500,000? When I did the math, it was $24,500,000 behind!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    lal
    Just $500,000? When I did the math, it was $24,500,000 behind!
    Behind daily target, I mean.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Seems like we ain't gonna make through. #Extremely Sad
    But we have surpassed all the projects including OUYA. As this was side-project/secondary-project we need not to worry.

If I was billionaire, I would've bought few Enterprise perks. Because this gadget is undoubtedly better than any gadget ever manufactured on Earth.
    Reliance & other telecom sector giants should keep eye on such projects.
  • lal
    lal
    Very sad!

That was, anyway, kind of an unachievable target. What happens to the donated money if the project doesn't come in to existence?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    lal
    Very sad!

That was, anyway, kind of an unachievable target. What happens to the donated money if the project doesn't come in to existence?
    If the project does not reach its target, your card won't be charged. If it does reach the goal, only then will the project take the money from you.
  • envira
    envira
    If i had some bux , seriously i am gonna ram into this one.
    I contributed a meager from my design earnings , 20$ as founder 😀
    That might not quench its thirst , but adds a drop into the cup.
    Only 2 days left , canonical should focus on advertising the campaign on popular pages on Facebook like a Musician or Actor or whatever.
    That might make their way.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding closed at : $12,813,501
    It was the biggest crowdfunding campaign in the world.
    Let's wait for April 2014 now 😁
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I will be happy if this masterpiece comes around 35k to 40k.4gb ram and 128gb hdd makes it a pocket computer.Hope to see it real soon.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    CSK AUTO
    I will be happy if this masterpiece comes around 35k to 40k.4gb ram and 128gb hdd makes it a pocket computer.Hope to see it real soon.
    It won't come as the crowdfunding failed to reach the target.
    Anyways this was side-project of Canonical.
    Ubuntu Touch is surely coming by April 2014,the stable version.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Update for Ubuntu Edge: arround $13M has been raised.
    here is review

Jump at 4:25 to see running ubuntu on nexus4 and converting to full desktop OS.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# That's one best feature of Ubuntu Touch OS, isn't it ? No need to carry laptop anymore.
    You'll need faster & bigger memory size SD though, but that's 'kay.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# That's one best feature of Ubuntu Touch OS, isn't it ? No need to carry laptop anymore.
    You'll need faster & bigger memory size SD though, but that's 'kay.
    If I would be owning a big firm now.Ubuntu phone would best suites for all my employees. ☕
    Here are the point:
    • Currently firms are spending more than $1000 for laptop and then maintenance to vendors.
    • Employees are also getting mobiles or their mobile is being configured to use office mail some sort of work.
    • Looking trends of increasing processor capability is increasing Only one small device have to be taken care of.
    If we leave development task, Ubuntu phone should be capable of doing all office stuff and truly portable.

Ubuntu phone at $1000 could be a win-win situation👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

KDE's Vivaldi Tablet, formerly known as KDE spark; was in development for so long, recently Aaron Siego have confirmed that KDE Vivaldo tablet has been shipped for QA testing as...
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP- the traffic-regulating system that avoids internet congestion by spewing out various algorithms) is the reason you're reading this post. While every version of TCP is evolving...
The movie based on Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' life, called 'Jobs' will release in India on August 16. The movie will be officially released by PVR pictures. The movie features...
The common umbrella sucks. No matter how we look at it, everything is wrong with its design. When the rains come lashing from right and left and back and front,...
LG Electronics is building up the excitement for its new launch event. Scheduled for 7th of August, LG is all set to launch the LG G2 smartphone in this mega...