ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS help

I Have installed ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS in my frnds computer.
After installing Some of my friends said that C/C++ compilers where inbuilt in linux OS.
So we tried to compile some C and C++ programs but non of it was compiled.😔
Why what is wrong with this ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS?
Do i need to install C/C++ compilers?
If so plz say how to install ?
plz give me clear instruction...

Replies

• xero
    xero
    I bet you are looking for the traditional header files and you don't seem to find it 😀
    For this you need the old gnu libraries and it may get hectic, so better search for new syntax for using the macros and header files, or if possible you can see the new gnu compiler version documents, and i think the version should be 4.2.2 or above !!
  • prabhagharan
    prabhagharan
    Thank you for your reply.
    But i can't get it plz say me clearly because i am new to LINUX.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Have you installed gcc and the core libraries? Try sudo apt-get install gcc
  • prabhagharan
    prabhagharan
    ya kidakaka
    i tried that but it gives some error message still i am not able to compile C/C++ codes :-(
  • prabhagharan
    prabhagharan
    Before this discussions i want to know whether this ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS has in built C/C++ compiler or not
  • prabhagharan
    prabhagharan
    why no replies from anyone
  • mahul
    mahul
    It might have or it might not. I do not use ubuntu distros so can't comment but someone will certainly answer that. What is more probable is that you went for a default selection of packages and missed out on gcc.
    Try 'man gcc'. If gcc is indeed installed, this would open the manual for it. Else look in the rpm folder of the distro. You will find the gcc compiler somewhere. Try installing that. command would be rpm -ihv [filename]. (flags can be altered to suit your choice if you wish).
  • prabhagharan
    prabhagharan
    thankx man i will try it and report the errors

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everybody .. this is my first thread in this superb forum 😀 i'm studying computer engineering in my last year. i'm required to design a project at the end...
I have Windows Vista O.S. in my computer after installation of C++ the c++ windows is not displaying fullscreen. What is solution that c++ window display in fullscreen. When I...
I am in final year .i have project on interface of mobile with microcontroller.so please help me and send any link about this project
what is the power ISO.............................. plz tell me its urgent guys.....................
hi friends i am in final year electronics engineering ..can anyone of you suggest me some project topic related to communication field