Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr LTS [News/Features/Updates/Changes]

This thread is dedicated to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS whose codename we don't even know.(All we know is that the codename of 14.04 will start from alphabet 'T')
I will try my best to keep this thread updated by including all the latest News/Features/Updates/Changes regarding Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Here's first news about 14.04 :
- Release schedule is out in Canonical website for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will be releasing on April 17th 2014.

Take a look on entire release schedule : #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Werent they talking about making chromium default browser instead of firefox in 14.04? What happened to that idea?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Werent they talking about making chromium default browser instead of firefox in 14.04? What happened to that idea?
    They were discussing whether to or not make Chromium as default browser in 13.10 Saucy Salamander, but latest report confirms that 13.10 will ship with Firefox only.
    Thank god!

Don't know about 14.04 though.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# It's confirmed that Chromium will be default browser in 14.04 LTS
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# It's confirmed that Chromium will be default browser in 14.04 LTS
    Yay! ๐Ÿ˜ Not that I don't like Mozilla, but I always had a soft corner for chromium. Well, good to know it's finally here.๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Note that it's 'chromium', the Opensource version of Google Chrome. Unlike Chrome it doesn't have Pepper-Flash, so you have to install Flash-player externally in order to watch the videos.

Well from 14.04 onwards, I have to install Mozilla FF from Repo. Why don't they ship with two browsers ? ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I know, man. I have been using chromium only since the day I installed Ubuntu.

Abhishek Rawal
    Well from 14.04 onwards, I have to install Mozilla FF from Repo. Why don't they ship with two browsers ? ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Haha.....that's a nice idea. Why dont you start a discussion regarding this? Give mailing list people a chance to openly abuse someone....๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Codename for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS announced. It's 'Trusty Tahr'

E
    dit : Thread title updated.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :

- Nvidia Optimus support lands in Trusty Tahr : Obviously good news for Optimus chipset owners. I guess we have one in CE, @#-Link-Snipped-# .He might be excited by the official support news.

- New Icon Theme For Trusty Tahr :
    trustynewicon โ€‹
    - GTK 3.10 lands in Trusty :
    This update was focused to make developers happy, due to GTK 3.10 latest stacks, developers will create/support apps for 14.04 for longer time. Also, unity launcher will gain performance improvement in launcher.

PS : The development has just begin from start of december. It's long way to go & many other exciting updates will be rolling. ๐Ÿ˜

You can grab Daily build of Trusty Tahr 14.04 from : Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar Lobster) Daily Build
    Things might break. Use it at your own risk.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Canonical is planning to remove the 'Gnome Control Center' (also known as System Settings) with their new fork which will be called as 'Unity control center'.

14.04 Trusty Tahr is going to be very exciting LTS release.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    In 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Trim %28Computing%29 is enabled by default for SSDs.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Alpha 2 for 14.04 LTS is available for testing for Ubuntu derivatives.
    Trusty Alpha 2 Available for Testing
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Latest nautilus File manager 3.10.1 arrived in testing branch of Ubuntu 14.04 ๐Ÿ˜
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Mesa 10.1 might get included in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS feature freeze is on 20th February i.e after 2 days from now & Maarten Lankhorst issued call for testing of Mesa 10.1 so it can be pushed into upcoming LTS before feature freeze.

Mesa 10.1 is an awesome upgrade with many openGL features. I hope it gets pushed in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS before feature freeze. [HASHTAG]#fingerscrossed[/HASHTAG]
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    After daily update of Ubuntu 14.04 distribution, I got multiple icons of all system applications in Dash menu. ( You can see , 2x Appearance , 2x Details , 2x Color)

Screenshot from 2014-02-22 12:21:29
    Is it bug ? Nope! Ubuntu Development team is currently working in new control center known as 'Unity Control Center' as I mentioned in #-Link-Snipped-# of this thread.

Proof ? Here it is !
    First 'Keyboard' desktop icon properties :
    Screenshot from 2014-02-22 12:20:49
    Second 'Keyboard' icon properties :
    Screenshot from 2014-02-22 12:20:38

Next major update in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS WILL BE 'Unity Control Center', I am sure . I am keen to know which new features & UI they're going to bring in ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Ubuntu offers choice of using locally integrated menus (introduced in 14.04) or Global integrated menus (introduced since 11.04)
    This is my favourite feature, check the screenshots below to know how it works.

- When is not on top bar of application, it displays app name & file name as usual
    Screenshot from 2014-02-22 15:39:15

- When cursor is moved from anywhere to top of application, the menus appears! (Such a cunning feature to save the space)

Screenshot from 2014-02-22 15:39:29
    By default Globally integrated menus is activated, but to activate local integrated menus, open settings -> Appearance . Down under in 'Application Menu' click on 'in window title bars'.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is shaping up real good.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And Unity-control-center is coming!

Screenshot from 2014-02-25 05:51:49
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Few new features arrived in unity-control-center :

1) UI Scale :
    This is something like 'zoom' feature. You can scale it upto 4 times to achieve zoomed UI.
    Displays_007

2) Date Time Indicator Tweak :
    You can show/hide clock that appears in gnome-shell (menu bar). There are also options available to weekdays, month & even year in menu bar. Inshort, there are all possible tweaks related to date & time of it's indicator is available inside unity-control-center.

[โ€‹IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've nothing against uBuntu; but I totally dislike the Unity thing. I've often found myself searching for my minimised firefox icon that I ended up launching a newer instance. I hope 14.04 makes unity simpler to use. Gotta be downloading beta/RC on my machine.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I miss @#-Link-Snipped-# in all the Linux discussions. I guess he's switched to Windows already.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've often found myself searching for my minimised firefox icon that I ended up launching a newer instance. I hope 14.04 makes unity simpler to use. Gotta be downloading beta/RC on my machine.
    Well, I don't know which Unity version are you using. But, I can relaunch the app that I minimized from the unity panel.
    What you cannot do is 'minimizing' the maximized app from unity panel. And I guess we don't need it either, 'cuz we have its button on top left corner of every app for that.

Kaustubh Katdare
    I've nothing against uBuntu; but I totally dislike the Unity thing.
    Even I am not that fan of Unity, but I don't even dislike it. (I am more of Pantheon & KDE user)

Best part of Opensource is freedom of choice. You don't like desktop environment ? cool! Install DE you want to use. Infact, alongside Ubuntu few more flavours are also released like Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (XFCE) and Lubuntu (LMDE). You like Cinnamon then you can use Linux Mint, you want Pantheon then you can use ElementaryOS.
    Shit! There are infinite choices ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Ohh cmon! Thats below the belt @#-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ˜€

Using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for dev, staging and live for all the organizations machines (except one mac).
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :

1) Border-less App Windows Finally Arrived After 3 years of proposal. Looks Neat!

borderless

2) New Default Wallpaper!

slide

That's compressed size.
    Here's the link to full image if you want to grab it : #-Link-Snipped-#

3) Kernel updated to 3.13.0-17 version. It's likely to hit 3.14.0 by the release of distribution.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've nothing against uBuntu; but I totally dislike the Unity thing. I've often found myself searching for my minimised firefox icon that I ended up launching a newer instance. I hope 14.04 makes unity simpler to use. Gotta be downloading beta/RC on my machine.
    Seems like Canonical devs visits CrazyEngineers ๐Ÿ˜€
    Unity is getting a patch which will add support for minimising launched app right from launcher.
    Comment #403 : Bug #733349 : Bugs : Ayatana Design
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for dev, staging and live for all the organizations machines (except one mac).
    #-Link-Snipped-# You should start using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in Mac too after it is released.
    Why ? Check this out : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    python34 โ€‹

The talks in mailing list is going on for removal of Python 3.3 as latest version of Python 3.4 is already available. Currently, in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS both Python 3.3.5 & Python 3.4 is available. It is likely to happen that Python 3.3.5 will be removed. Still it is not confirmed though.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Seems like Canonical devs visits CrazyEngineers ๐Ÿ˜€
    Unity is getting a patch which will add support for minimising launched app right from launcher.
    Comment #403 : Bug #733349 : Bugs : Ayatana Design
    Alright. Ubuntu developers have introduced this feature to maximise & minimise launched application right from Unity Launcher.
    To do so, open terminal & install CompizConfig Settings Manager :
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Open CCSM, Select Ubuntu Unity Plugin under 'Desktop' tab. Then select 'Launcher' tab & click the option 'Minimize single window application' as shown below:
    compiz โ€‹
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Here's the video for activating minimizing of launched application from Unity launcher itself.

โ€‹
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Final Beta is now Frozen.
    Kernel Freeze of 14.04 LTS is after one week from today & final freeze is on 10th of April.
    Schedule : TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule - Ubuntu Wiki
  • Krzysztof Pelc
    Krzysztof Pelc
    You don't like desktop environment ? cool! Install DE you want to use. Infact, alongside Ubuntu few more flavours are also released like Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (XFCE) and Lubuntu (LMDE).
    Lubuntu have LXDE Desktop - LMDE is Linux Mint Debian Edition ๐Ÿ˜€

So:
    I work everyday with Ubuntu 13.10 and waiting for LTS.

My Desktop - Gnome 3.6
    I use:
    - Chromium 33.0.1750.152 Ubuntu 13.10 (256984)
    - Gmail
    - Libre Office
    - Bricscad 12 for Linux
    - Wine with PDF X-Change
    - Vbox with Windows XP - Coolpack, Selection Software, Automation software - working very good with Guest Additions pack

I'll try the new Unity
    Your observations are interesting
    thank you
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Typo there,Sorry. Thanks for correction ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    HiDPi Improvements arrived.Better Multi-monitor management & Fully SVG texture launcher arrived in Unity Control Center.

ucc โ€‹
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    LibreOffice upgraded to 4.2.3.2 (i.e latest build - unstable build though)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Being long time KDE user & KDE (also QT) fanboy, I gotta taste KDE flavour of 14.04 LTS. Today booted Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. And, KDE experience was awesome. Uses latest stack of KDE 4.13, fonts are nicely rendered compared to what found in Opensuse 13.1. No error popped on screen unlike what happens in Unity.

Couple of screenshots :

snapshot1
    snapshot2

PS : Plasma Theme & Wallpaper changed. Not stock.
  • Krzysztof Pelc
    Krzysztof Pelc
    Nice ๐Ÿ˜€, but I prefer gnome 3

Why You use 32 bit OS ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Krzysztof Pelc
    Nice ๐Ÿ˜€, but I prefer gnome 3
    I like Gnome 3 too but not more than KDE. Infact, I regularly test all latest releases of Gnome 3. I recently tested Gnome 3.12 in fedora, Impressive it is.

Krzysztof Pelc
    Why You use 32 bit OS ?
    2GB of RAM. I need atleast 3.2 GB of RAM to take benefit of 64 bit. Plus, I noticed memory consumption is high in 64-bit than what it is in 32-bit. In my 2GB RAM system, it's not worth it.

Do you have another opinion? Kindly share your thought ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Krzysztof Pelc
    Krzysztof Pelc
    Of Course ๐Ÿ˜€

Ubuntu 64 bit with KDE or Unity is a demand memory operating system.

In my first notebook I have 6GB RAM - working very good with 64bit.

I've second - old Fujitsu Siemens - AMILO PRO 3515 with integrated in VIA VN896, Chrome9 HC. After tunning is 2GB RAM and T5600 Core2 Duo.

OS is 64 bit Debian 7.0 "wheezy" testing with XFCE. Only Debian working good with via graphics card. Driver is open-chrome. Via has made available via Windows drivers only, but with Debian working very good - is hardware acceleration...

After installation another distro in this notebook - was black screen ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Krzysztof Pelc
    Krzysztof Pelc
    Ubu 14.04 working very nice

I have done:
    change Virtualbox to 4.3.10 - working
    My old Disk with XP.VDI - working
    Install Chromium 34.0.1847.116 Ubuntu 14.04 aura (260972) - working
    Install Bricscad 14 for linux - working
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    After release of 14.04, I switched back to Arch Linux.
    Since in 14.10 Utopic Unicorn converged apps are coming, I am deciding to boot my secondary hard disk for 14.10 development branch. But as KDE Framework 5 & Plasma NEXT is coming in couple of months, I diverted that thought & planning to stay in ArchLinux until stable Plasma NEXT & KDE FW 5 is released.

Plasma NEXT & KDE Framework 5! Hot Damn!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to share the following thread CEans: https://www.asme.org/engineering-topics/articles/automotive/3-emerging-trends-automotive-engineering Yes its all about the emerging trends of automobile industry.They had described that their main aim is to bring out maximum...
The Indus Entrepreneurs Conference (Tiecon Nagpur 2014), the biggest entrepreneurial summit in the central India has been announced and it will happen on 1st and 2nd February 2014.23-24 August, 2014....
The next version of Google's mobile operating system, Android 4.4 will be officially called 'KitKat'. Google's SVP, Sundar Pichai has officially confirmed via Google+ & Twitter that Google will go...
I am a final year Automobile engineering student and I now has a chance to study "design of jigs,fixtures and press tools" .I want to give a short brief on...
This Thread is all about the latest technical terms which are the buzzwords or are on Trend.......Being Techical guys, it's gud to be familiar with these terms.... Contributions from all...