Two wheeler - side stand alerter

hi CEans ,
I am here to throw a discussion on two wheeler side stand alerter.I had seen many of the people using side stand rather than main stand because of their ease of use but many of them would not release the stand properly and this would lead to accidents during cornering if not proper attention is given.Here is my idea.We can have a small switch like addition and if the side stand is released it should fulfill the circuit and ignition starts but if the stand is not released properly the ignition would not take place.
Any suggestions.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    I think a similar system is already in use.

The Pulsar 150 (2002) had a small indicator light on its panel, which would glow whenever the side stand was deployed, (i don't know whether the modern pulsars have this or not).

Whatever circuit was used in that model, can be used in the vehicles to come with small modifications.

and the modifications would be to add a buzzer far more louder and noisier than the horn.
  • JoannaKat55
    JoannaKat55
    Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.i have red your blog and wish it again.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    There are few scooties and bikes have alarm if you do not turn off the side stand (Bajaj Pulsur 220 have it). Indian Patents. 220469:MOTOR CYCLE SIDE STAND ALARM FOR TWO WHEELERS
    I think this is only for noobs and too stressed people otherwise Its basic instinct for bikers to first turn off the stand before sitting on the bike properly.

An Indicator is enough if anyone wants. But certainly you should not be prohibiting user to do something in any design unless it's doomsday. In my suggestion long side stand would be good to notice and it will strike your feet before you put it on gear.

Excuse me but here is the bike side stand indicator - Google Search .

Edit: One more thing on bikes (Not scooty), they are now designing such a way that you have turn off the side stand before you open the left leg base.
    Following is also a good option.
    [​IMG]

Scooty riders sucks, they don't even know what is high beam and low beam in headlights. that side stand indicator should be enough for them.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    My pulsar has a side stand indicator and its very handy.

Whenever i am in a hurry ,that red light will alert me!! And if you are stopping the vehicle to start if the side stand is on, then you are in trouble as most of the side stands have a problem or other and they are always in ON position (Spring problem etc). So if you are stopping the ignition then its not a good idea.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    My pulsar has a side stand indicator and its very handy.

Whenever i am in a hurry ,that red light will alert me!! And if you are stopping the vehicle to start if the side stand is on, then you are in trouble as most of the side stands have a problem or other and they are always in ON position (Spring problem etc). So if you are stopping the ignition then its not a good idea.
    Yes sir,
    So the circuit must be always ON and indicate the current status of stand.Though this arrangement was not liked by many, even if it helps in preventing accidents , it would be a better innovation.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The better invention , I think is to design a smart spring which will close the stand if it hits something instead of giving a jerk to the bike.

We dont have to design complex circuits to do that, just design a very sensitive spring that will do.. and parking the bike will also not a difficult task as the spring will work only if it hits something!!
  • Ramkrishna Shekhar
    Ramkrishna Shekhar
    Currently the side-stands are normally off (i mean the side-stand goes back to up when pushed back) until a certain angle rotation. Using the same principle, What I suggest is the sidestand must not self lock but must lock by a pawl kind of arrangement at the required bike stability angle (angle of sidestand).This pawl must be operated by the first clutch lever operation (as you operate clutch anyway to change gear.) lever i.e. the moment the rider presses clutch the sidestand will be released with a buzzer beep 😀.
    Ramkrishna Shekhar
    Currently the side-stands are normally off (i mean the side-stand goes back to up when pushed back) until a certain angle rotation. Using the same principle, What I suggest is the sidestand must not self lock but must lock by a pawl kind of arrangement at the required bike stability angle (angle of sidestand).This pawl must be operated by the first clutch lever operation (as you operate clutch anyway to change gear.) lever i.e. the moment the rider presses clutch the sidestand will be released with a buzzer beep 😀.
    Could you please explain it in detail?
    If i had understood correct, you are suggesting that the side stand should lock with a pawl like arrangement like the one used in overdrive operations but if the lock releases the stand while we are travelling while gear changing,what would happen?
  • Ramkrishna Shekhar
    Ramkrishna Shekhar
    I am suggesting a cable which is parallel in operation to clutch cable (or the clutch cable itself ?), which is actuated by the clutch lever (when rider tries to change the gear) , which operates this pawl & on release the stand goes back to up position (as it is locked by pawl only).

The side stand safety operation must be simple as no company would like to spend more more money on this else you could try using a gyroscope & actuator to do this (just kidding)
    Ramkrishna Shekhar
    I am suggesting a cable which is parallel in operation to clutch cable (or the clutch cable itself ?), which is actuated by the clutch lever (when rider tries to change the gear) , which operates this pawl & on release the stand goes back to up position (as it is locked by pawl only).

The side stand safety operation must be simple as no company would like to spend more more money on this else you could try using a gyroscope & actuator to do this (just kidding)
    Thanks for the explanation. Now it is clear and simple.It's a good way to save money.
    Is there any more suggestions CEans .Lets roll again.
    Anoop Kumar
    There are few scooties and bikes have alarm if you do not turn off the side stand (Bajaj Pulsur 220 have it). Indian Patents. 220469:MOTOR CYCLE SIDE STAND ALARM FOR TWO WHEELERS
    I think this is only for noobs and too stressed people otherwise Its basic instinct for bikers to first turn off the stand before sitting on the bike properly.

An Indicator is enough if anyone wants. But certainly you should not be prohibiting user to do something in any design unless it's doomsday. In my suggestion long side stand would be good to notice and it will strike your feet before you put it on gear.

Excuse me but here is the bike side stand indicator - Google Search .

Edit: One more thing on bikes (Not scooty), they are now designing such a way that you have turn off the side stand before you open the left leg base.
    Following is also a good option.
    [​IMG]

Scooty riders sucks, they don't even know what is high beam and low beam in headlights. that side stand indicator should be enough for them.
    Hi Bro.I want to add that the picture you had uploaded shows that the gear can't be changed while the side stand is ON.Its a great idea which involves little money and simple in construction but we can't use it for scooter type two wheelers .Is there any way to do that in scooter .
    New Side stand alerter launched in Super Splender :
    indianautosblog.com/2014/05/new-2014-hero-super-splendor-130001
  • Vikas Srivatsava
    Vikas Srivatsava
    Hi!!
    I wanted to know if the side stand alerter is available for sale for splendor pro... can I get a link or a contact for this purpose
  • Uday-MECH
    Uday-MECH
    Vikas Srivatsava
    Hi!!
    I wanted to know if the side stand alerter is available for sale for splendor pro... can I get a link or a contact for this purpose
    I really think this side stand alert can be self made with just some simple piece of wire two contact plates, a LED and a battery which is usually used in watches. It can be made in such a way that the LED glows only when the side stand is on or it is incompletely removed.
  • RAMESH SIVAKUMAR
    RAMESH SIVAKUMAR
    can u send ur project soft copy to my email #-Link-Snipped-#Do not give your email address CE forum>
  • Kamlesh Vora
    Kamlesh Vora
    Hello Friends,
    There are already side stand alarm or indicator available in many scooties and bikes.
    All you required is include ignition key in side stand circuit and the Engine will not crank if the Side stand is ON.
    So simple and cheaper.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can any one explain me What is Genetic Algorithm and its Application ? ?
I want to align appindicators in the order as I like in Ubuntu. Anyone of you know it how ? Couldn't find way in gconf-editor. There must be someway. Anyone...
This is really an elementary problem in geometry and algebra. It is not puzzling nor are there any twists. The result is interesting. I came across this intriguing problem a...
UK's TWI has unveiled a 5 kW handheld laser gun that can cut through tough metal pipes like a hot knife cuts butter. All thanks to the fibre laser projector...
friends,do anyone know about water swirl algorithm?very urgent!