Tubeless Tires In Motorcycles & Two Wheelers

I realized the importance of tubeless tiers today. I had to drive out of station and on the highway, I discovered a tiny little screw sticking in the front-left tire. The main advantage of tubeless tires is that even if it gets a puncture; the air won't escape right away and takes its own time. I've had heard stories of accidents due to tire bursts. Thanks to the tubeless tires that I could finish my journey safely and without any worries.

Now, that got me thinking - why don't we have tubeless tires in all the two wheelers? I *guess* that they are used in racing motorcycles. If the tubeless tires can be used in two-wheelers, then why aren't they the de-facto choice for two wheelers? Is cost the major factor or there are other reasons as well?

Replies

• ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    I think the cost of tubeless tiers is more & requires another method to change it.
  • lal
    lal
    @Biggie, tubeless tiers are widely used in motor cycles these days. Many of my friends are using it and I'm planning to change my own.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The cost is one of the factor, and if the type get punctured we need to have a different mechanism to heal it.
    Its not like conventional tyres and not available in most of the places.
  • lal
    lal
    Availability is not a big concern I think, because it has become quite common. And yes repairing it is costlier as the tire itself is.
    Another fact is tubeless tyres are really helpful in long rides. It doesn't make any difference if the rides are short.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Tubeless are the primary tire type used in the US & Europe, except for off road applications. Tube tires are benefitial in that situation.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gohm
    Tubeless are the primary tire type used in the US & Europe, except for off road applications. Tube tires are benefitial in that situation.
    The question is - are they used in motorcycles as well? Cars usually have the tubeless ones.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yes, tubed tires are used for nearly all dual sport, off road and many spoked rim wheels on motorcycles. Most bikes I've had have been tubed & I actually prefer them as they are easier to work on yourself.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All, Currently going through study of reactive power management, I find myself in doubt that is if the reactive power goes down in a system. First case is that...
CEans, In case you've missed, we've added the Facebook, Google +1 and Twitter buttons at the bottom of every discussion on CrazyEngineers. In our earlier version, there was a small...
1. Launch the Google Maps app. Then press the Menu button, go to settings and tap on the Labs option. 2. Scroll down to choose Pre-cache map area. 3. On...
A study conducted by MyHiringClub.com states that India is ranked seventh on a list of 10 worst paying IT Companies globally. India Inc is among the world's lowest paying employers...
Pierce the skies at seven times the speed of sound in the fastest jet ever flown. They are among the most sophisticated and innovative machines ever built. They have flown...