try this BUZZLE... really good one

A soap company has produced 10 boxes of soap. Each box contains 100 bars of soap, and is supposed to weigh 30kgs. But each of the bars of soap in one of the boxes is 1g more than it should be. You have a digital scale that you can use for reading the weight only ONCE. How do you know which box weighs more?
โ€‹

Replies

• ElectricStriker
    ElectricStriker
    is it that hard !!!
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Can he use any means to compare weights of 2 boxes?
    If he can then he will take any random box and weigh it.If it is 30kg +100g (I am bad in maths.Still i am a engineer ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) then he got the solution else he will compare that box with all other boxes to get the answer.
  • ElectricStriker
    ElectricStriker
    sorry man, u can use the digital scale only once...think again:wink:
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ElectricStriker
    A soap company has produced 10 boxes of soap. Each box contains 100 bars of soap, and is supposed to weigh 30kgs. But each of the bars of soap in one of the boxes is 1g more than it should be. You have a digital scale that you can use for reading the weight only ONCE. How do you know which box weighs more?
    โ€‹
    My take -

Name the boxes from 1 - 10. Take out as many bars from each box as its number. That is, 1 bar from the box #1, 2 from box # 2, and so on till 10 bars from box # 10

Then weigh them together. The difference in the expected weight and the actual weight should shout the number of the faulty box. [โ€‹IMG]

Alright? :hehehe:
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    biggie!! I understood your solution... if the expected wt is 1 gm more than actual wt the bar is from first box... if its 2 gms more its in second box... and so on.. good till here...but tell me what if all the bars are identical?I mean same size and shape??

1 sec I guess I know how..

arrange them in a form of a pyramid while weighing... ie 10 bars of box 10 in the lowest line,9bas from box 9 above it ..and so on...till 1 bar form boc 1 on the top..
    so depending on what is the excess weight we can determine the box ๐Ÿ˜€

P.S:I know i just elaborated your solution ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    biggie!! I understood your solution... if the expected wt is 1 gm more than actual wt the bar is from first box... if its 2 gms more its in second box... and so on.. good till here...but tell me what if all the bars are identical?I mean same size and shape??

1 sec I guess I know how..

arrange them in a form of a pyramid while weighing... ie 10 bars of box 10 in the lowest line,9bas from box 9 above it ..and so on...till 1 bar form boc 1 on the top..
    so depending on what is the excess weight we can determine the box ๐Ÿ˜€

P.S:I know i just elaborated your solution ๐Ÿ˜
    No matter how you arrange them - the difference in the weight will give you the box number. ๐Ÿ˜
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    The_Big_K
    No matter how you arrange them - the difference in the weight will give you the box number. ๐Ÿ˜
    got it!!!๐Ÿ˜‰
  • ElectricStriker
    ElectricStriker
    WeLL DoNe... great thinkin'

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi

helo, am new here. hope i'd enjoy it
I downloaded "Total Video Converter" and I can't get it to convert the video files from my DVD into a common format such as WMV, MPEG, or AVI, or into...
Hey people, Cheers!!!!!! I want to know what is the maximum supported RAM for Pentium 4? Also I want to know whether max RAM depends solely on processor or motherboad?...
need a book related to orthogonal frequencu division multiplexing and peak to average power reductio ratio using convolution codes

hai

hai am new to this site....