True Story about Joshua Bell

True Story about Joshua Bellโ€‹

[โ€‹IMG]โ€‹

A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist.

Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the top musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written,with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the seats average $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station

was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty?

Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

TRUE STORY !!!

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Praveen-Kumar
    One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?โ€‹
    Well, the point is, we don't know that it's actually one of the best musicians playing one of the best pieces of music. When it's said that he sold out at a theater and averaged $100, it's expected. He is a famous musician, and when he gives a performance, people naturally go to it. But the difference is that, we expect to hear him perform. We clear our schedules, put our other priorities on hold, and go to the theater, expecting him to perform well, awaiting the pleasure we will likely derive from it.

When we walk inside a subway or a train station though, we usually don't think about music or other arts. There will be something else in our minds, usually. (That is kind of the point of this whole post anyway, that nowadays, people are so busy into themselves that they have closed them to outer beauty et al...).

But really, those guys who gave him that $32, those at least had an open mind to listen to what is going on around them.. To conclude, I think nothing is wrong per se, in this situation.. Personally, I would not go to a train station hoping to listen to some nice music. And if by chance, something was indeed playing, I would probably stop and hear it for a couple of minutes, maybe. Then I would be off to my actual work for which I came to the station in the first place.. That is to be expected from everyone.
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    you are correct silverscorpion.
    i will also never wait in the station eventhough there is a nice music played.
    but the is that i am occasionally forced to hear these types of musics not played by famous players but by the blind people. they will be at the bus stations singing with there voice but the thing i have noticed that even though people here the music none was listening to it . all of them including me were busy in our own world
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    If people really listen, then yeah, they would value it... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    valuing there music will help them to satisfy there daily needs
    but the true value of the music or the art came whenever the people listening to it listen it in its true essence.
    and i think this will make them more happy if they are truly dedicated to it.
    ~on*kiyu
    valuing there music will help them to satisfy there daily needs
    but the true value of the music or the art came whenever the people listening to it listen it in its true essence.
    and i think this will make them more happy if they are truly dedicated to it.
    Completely agreed, but couldn't do at all times right??? ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    thats why to make them happy clubs and other organisations arranging musical night , exhibitions etc for them. and the people invited for it will applaud them at the end to return to there busy schedule , thanking the player for stoping the program.
    yesterday was a wonderful day in my life. we got enough time to encourage the best and to discourage the worst.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Praveen-Kumar
    The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist.

Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.
    Children do have the innocence to appreciate the beautiful and simple things in life. Something which adults need to learn from them.
    ~on*kiyu
    yesterday was a wonderful day in my life. we got enough time to encourage the best and to discourage the worst.
    Why would you discourage the worst? Aren't they the ones who need the most encouragement. Or for that matter why would you even discourage anyone?
    Dancer_Engineer
    Children do have the innocence to appreciate the beautiful and simple things in life. Something which adults need to learn from them.
    Why would you discourage the worst? Aren't they the ones who need the most encouragement. Or for that matter why would you even discourage anyone?
    Agreed, but even people who are busy, can give some time to enjoy something which they like, that they don't do because of the pressure, keeping them ignoring lot of opportunities all over! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Praveen-Kumar
    Agreed, but even people who are busy, can give some time to enjoy something which they like, that they don't do because of the pressure, keeping them ignoring lot of opportunities all over! ๐Ÿ˜”
    Possibly! The stress, the race for life takes a toll on the people.
    Over the time, people have disconnected themselves for simple things in life which is why recognizing the simplest of joy and beauty is rare these days.
    Dancer_Engineer
    Possibly! The stress, the race for life takes a toll on the people.
    Over the time, people have disconnected themselves for simple things in life which is why recognizing the simplest of joy and beauty is rare these days.
    Yeah, even I feel the same. I have almost lost connection with my home and completely avoided friends! Not going anywhere out and for the past week, totally work, work and work only!!! I wish I get over this soon!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Surely you will get over it, like I told you before; spend some time with kids. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜€
    Dancer_Engineer
    Surely you will get over it, like I told you before; spend some time with kids. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜€
    Er... Which / Whose kids? ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    ๐Ÿ˜

I mean where you stay, or your friends' kids. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Dancer_Engineer
    ๐Ÿ˜

I mean where you stay, or your friends' kids. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Done... ๐Ÿ˜ The problem actually started becoz of this!!! ๐Ÿ˜› Remember? Went to see those kids to my native and got stuck and all the problems started!!! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Ayyo, kid! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Cheer up! ๐Ÿ˜€

I always quote this for people who complain about time,
    It's never about time, it's about priorities!
    People who complain about time, should rather have the courage to speak about their priorities. Not addressing this to you, but in general! ๐Ÿ˜
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    without priority how can you schedule your time.????
    spending with kids is nice they make us more happy.
    but the attachments will become cruel during the departure.
    ~on*kiyu
    spending with kids is nice they make us more happy.
    but the attachments will become cruel during the departure.
    Attachments? Cruel?? Departure???
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    dont got it???
    it just meant that if we are more attached with the kids, then when we want to go out somewhere then those little fellows will not let us to go.
    and when we are back they will disturb us without considering our mood....
    ~on*kiyu
    dont got it???
    it just meant that if we are more attached with the kids, then when we want to go out somewhere then those little fellows will not let us to go.
    In my case, it was quite fine. They actually came to send me home! ๐Ÿ˜€ To that extent they were matured enough! ๐Ÿ˜€ I am happy about that! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    ~on*kiyu
    Of course, we schedule our time according to our priorities. I'm talking about time when people complain about not having enough time for something, when they themselves know that they have other priorities so obviously this particular thing is definitely not on the list. Why can't people just be honest and say a genuine NO to something. I have 'had' friends who never valued other's time, especially girls who never had time for friends and had all the time for their boyfriends.
    Really HATE people who value love more than Friendship. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    ~on*kiyu
    dont got it???
    Oh! Kids have all the rights to be like that. ๐Ÿ˜
    It depends on a mature adult how he / she handles a kid.
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    Dancer_Engineer
    Of course, we schedule our time according to our priorities. I'm talking about time when people complain about not having enough time for something, when they themselves know that they have other priorities so obviously this particular thing is definitely not on the list. Why can't people just be honest and say a genuine NO to something. I have 'had' friends who never valued other's time, especially girls who never had time for friends and had all the time for their boyfriends.
    Really HATE people who value love more than Friendship. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    it may not be love. it may be infatuation.
    just to show others that they have boy friends so that they cannot be with anyone else.
    if they value friendship they will surely find time to be wuth there friends.
    ~on*kiyu
    just to show others that they have boy friends so that they cannot be with anyone else.
    Dude, how can an adult be infatuated to a kid??? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    Dancer_Engineer
    Oh! Kids have all the rights to be like that. ๐Ÿ˜
    It depends on a mature adult how he / she handles a kid.
    not the way of handling the kids it depends on whether we are ready to enjoy with them or not.
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    Praveen-Kumar
    i am not talking about kids. it just about the girls who are busy scheduled with there boy friends without caring friendship.
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Praveen-Kumar
    Praveen! Where is your concentration? ๐Ÿ˜
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    ~on*kiyu
    I don't care about the first 3 sentences. My point is exactly the last sentence you said. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    ~on*kiyu
    I don't care about the first 3 sentences. My point is exactly the last sentence you said. ๐Ÿ˜€
    ~on*kiyu
    not the way of handling the kids it depends on whether we are ready to enjoy with them or not.
    Really? Only a short tempered person would get annoyed.
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    according to me its true for most of the girls that i have met including some of my friends.
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    Dancer_Engineer

Really? Only a short tempered person would get annoyed.
    i am aman of that kind.
    i cannot control my feelings . i will express it without thinking about the situation.
    and it has become the main defect of me.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    ~on*kiyu
    i am aman of that kind.
    i cannot control my feelings . i will express it without thinking about the situation.
    and it has become the main defect of me.
    No problem, you will cool down with time and experience. ๐Ÿ˜
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    you are correct. when i joined my engineering course i was a very hard harsh person. now i have changed a lot trying to express happiness than anger face.
    my friends have a great role in changing my attitude.
    loves them. my sweet friends.........
    ~on*kiyu
    according to me its true for most of the girls that i have met including some of my friends.
    When they are near kids, they won't get annoyed! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Dancer_Engineer
    Praveen! Where is your concentration? ๐Ÿ˜
    Am half asleep!!! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    hello i cannot understand what you are saying.
    does you mean that everyone near the kids will be happy??
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    Praveen-Kumar
    Am half asleep!!! ๐Ÿ˜”
    then go to your bed dude. me also in your condition.
    tomorrow is a working day i want to wake up early in the morning to wish my friend.
    so bye . good night .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Manusys 2012 is a Technical Symposium organized by College of Engineering, Guindy, Chennai. The Association of Manufacturing Engineers, and ONGC proudly presents Manusys 2012, a national level technical symposium that...
Saga 12 is a Technical Fest organized by M. E. S College of Engineering, Pune. It is an adventure like none other. It shall serve as the battle ground of...
Techno War 2012 is a Technical Fest organized by Priyadarshini College of Engineering, Sullurpet. It is the technical fest conducted by all the departments of Priyadarshini College of Engineering, Sullurpet....
Refulgence 2k12 is a Technical Fest organized by Muffakham Jah College of Engineering and Technlogy, Hyderabad. It is again set to open doors of opportunities to the students. Refulgence not...
Abhigyan 2012 is a Technical Symposium organized by SRM University, Chennai. In reality, Abhigyan is more than a technical event. Movie Making, Photography Contests, High Intensity Gaming and Quiz. Prizes...