Trick for memorizing!

In GRE, there are many words that are only a letter apart, also there are many words which seem to be similar and students often confuse the meaning of one word with another.

To remember a word, the easiest method is to relate it to something.
e.g.

Word: Caption(noun)
Meaning: title; chapter heading; text under illustration.
Usage: The captions that accompany The Far Side Cartoons are almost as funny as the pictures.

Here the word Caption can be remembered as:
The starting word is cap; cap as worn on head; so the meaning is heading.

(There are many words that start with 'cap' but think of it as cap+tion. If 'i' is removed, it becomes 'capton.' You can also remember it as captain-The head of a team. So the meaning's heading.)

Similarly, you can come up with your own ideas to memorize the meanings of the words for the GRE prep. It really works. Just try it for once!😀

Replies

• limestone7000
    limestone7000
    That technique is called 'using mnemonics'
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Yup! I thought it would be better to explain in layman's terms.
  • rkul
    rkul
    @dude u r doin great job.....the help is priceless.......😁 keep it up!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Many computer experts must be knowing this already, but chrome has come up with this cool feature in the URL search tab. I observed Today morning a 'tab' key in...
I searched for it on the Web, but couldn't come up with a satisfying answer. 😲 Most websites reflected the same names... I know it's a difficult question to answer,...
Hello CE'ans. Animation is the branch, where whole world is your's. You can do anything at any time in any unexpected way... If you are 'fan' of Macromedia Flash, here's...
Howdy, I am a Mechanical Engineer by Education (Now a Diploma Holder soon going to join in Graduation) You can know more about me here Balaji J H But i...
Meaning: cowardly Usage: The President condemned the terrorist attack as a dastardly act and vowed to take all measures to apprehend the criminals. Syn: base, timid, worthless, spineless