Transformer: Step up & Step Down

Is there any tranformer designed which can work both as step up and step down?????

Replies

• netfreak
    netfreak
    where can i even find an info about whats a stepup transformer, a step down transformer ?
    how can it be made, or how can it be used in what ways :-s
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    netfreak
    where can i even find an info about whats a stepup transformer, a step down transformer ?
    how can it be made, or how can it be used in what ways :-s
    Upto which i know
    Step up transformer increase the voltage and step down transformer decreases the voltage
    it depends on no of turns on coils
    For further help use google
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    avinav_sanu
    Is there any tranformer designed which can work both as step up and step down?????
    i am no big genius in this subject but this thought occurred to me ....

may be you can develop a transformer set up with fixed set of windings in the primary end and numerous no. of windings in the secondary side and use some arrangement (just like in a rheostat) to connect only a part of it (or how much ever necessary) to the external circuit so as to decide the nature of the transformer.

what i mean is that depending on the no. of turns you decide to include, its properties can be selected.

if you include more no. of windings in sec. when compared to No of turns in primary => you have got a step up transformer.
    else=> you have got a step down transformer.

hope your doubt is cleared...πŸ˜€
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Use a simple formulae for this....N1/N2=V2/V1
    here N1 & N2 are the primary & secondary turns of the coils on the transformer respectively.V2 & V1 being the voltage output as req...derive your output voltage as required with this formulae .I believe you will get the step up or down based on that
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    but the need is for a transformer that can act as both step up and step down and not for two transformers - one step up and one step down , right? so isn't what cooltwins said the appropriate one? this is just a thought....πŸ˜€
  • ramkumar.j
    ramkumar.j
    ya. Auto transformer which can be worked either step up or step down
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    cooltwins
    if you include more no. of windings in sec. when compared to No of turns in primary => you have got a step up transformer.

I think you have given opposite statement!

More no of turns in secondary will give a step down transformer and vice- versa.

There is a concept called Auto transformer which serves your purpose depending upon the requirement we can set it.
  • KAPILBEC
    KAPILBEC
    I think its simple keep the number of primary turns constant and put 3 to 4 tappings on the secondary side for different number of turns .....if n2/n1 is more than 1 it is step up and vice versa
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well it is not possible to have step-up and step-down operation with same turns but with same transformer it is quite possible,you have to make separate tap connections,but why exactly we need such transformers, i am not getting it ?
  • supri_cs
    supri_cs
    Yeah its possible by having a constant number of turns in the primary and having few tap changes in the secondary. This is the principle behind auto transformers. We can also find other tap changing transformers with this option these days.
  • sankar3
    sankar3
    In my project we have a small ac voltage... can i increase it with the step up transformer..... if it possible send me the product details......
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    cooltwins
    i am no big genius in this subject but this thought occurred to me ....

may be you can develop a transformer set up with fixed set of windings in the primary end and numerous no. of windings in the secondary side and use some arrangement (just like in a rheostat) to connect only a part of it (or how much ever necessary) to the external circuit so as to decide the nature of the transformer.

what i mean is that depending on the no. of turns you decide to include, its properties can be selected.

ya even i think that this couls be the only way...
  • sankar3
    sankar3
    is it possible to make our step up transformer?....
    if possible..... what are the specifications to be taken and how can we make it?......plz reply me fast
  • Thesis123
    Thesis123
    Yes, This can be achieved by using Auto transformer. Input voltage from supply is 230v/ 440v and the A.T output voltage is from zero to its rating. You can see the operation in your Electrical machines lab of any engineering college
  • sankar3
    sankar3
    i just have only 0.5-1v range...... is it possible to amplify it by using step up transformer? if possible is there any transformer product in market or we have to make it?
  • Thesis123
    Thesis123
    As I know, it is a small voltage and it can be step up up to certain levels like in radios or any small electronics gadgets. I don't know what is the level of voltage you want step up. Lot of material is available in the net, you can surf.
  • sankar3
    sankar3
    i want to amplify it(0.5-1v range) without any use of external voltage source............ is it possible?
  • Thesis123
    Thesis123
    You can find an useful information at this link

#-Link-Snipped-#
    with best wishes,
  • 070790vivek
    070790vivek
    yes both operations step up and step down is not possible in one transformer
    but u can make it by a simple arrangement
    make 2 coils
    in one coil no. of turns should > other one
    now keep an arrangement like that when u want step up then the input current should supply to lesser no. of turns having coil and output should be from other
    to find step down APPLY VICE VERSAπŸ˜›

THIS arrangement can be control by a lever😁

i think my idea is so good to work on it 😎

if i was a electrical engg. then i would work on it.

u can change world with the power of your mind
  • lal
    lal
    What if we just invert the terminals? I mean just by giving i/p to secondary and taking o/p from primary.
  • sankar3
    sankar3
    lal
    What if we just invert the terminals? I mean just by giving i/p to secondary and taking o/p from primary.
    yeah nice doubt..... i also have the same one...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

FIND THE RADIUS OF COURVATURE OF MINISCUS FORMED WHEN WATER IS SLOWLY FILLED IN TUBE GIVEN: 1)RADIUS OF TUBE IS=R 2)height of tube =H 3)surface tension=t 4)WATER DENSITY=1000N 5)GAUGE PRESSURE...
What is a good online source for looking up the acoustic properties of materials? I'd like to know about things related to noise suppression properties of various construction materials and...
I realy need your help i need to know about Differential Resistive Sensors my FYP on it for the Characterization of Liquids's Conductivity for DCS Applications
i need some help... im New to Matlab Image Processing. Im Doing a project on "LANE DETECTION & TRACKING USING A WEBCAM" IN MATLAB. Need advice on how to implement...
How to calculate mahine hour rate of a piercing or bending press?πŸ˜•