Tractor Beam From Star Trek Becomes A Reality - Dundee Research

Tractor Beam has become a reality. Straight from science fiction into the labs of a team of researchers from University of Dundee, UK and Southampton and Illinois Wesleyan, the dream of a fully functioning acoustic tractor beam has been realized. For the uninitiated, the term "Tractor Beam" was coined by E. E. Smith in his novel Spacehounds of IPC published in 1931. It was said to be a device that has the ability attract one object to another from a distance. The concept was much later popularized by its appearance in the sci-fi classic movies - Star Wars and Star Trek.

Using the energy from an ultrasound array, the research team applied force behind an object and pulled it towards the energy source. The ingenuity of this project lies in the fact that this is the first time that a tractor beam has been used to move anything bigger than microscopic targets. In their demonstration, the researchers showed how it was possible to use twin beams of energy emitted from an ultrasound array (used in MRI-guided surgery) to exert sufficient force on an object around 1 cm in size to hold or move it.

tractor-beam-star-trek

Even if the geeks among us are going to love this technology to its core, the researchers stress on the point that their work has important advantages that can be of use in developing ultrasound-based clinical techniques in the healthcare domain.

If you thought that was all, wait till you read what these researchers have previously achieved. They have demonstrated how the same ultrasound array technique can be used to build the ultra-famous Dr. Who’s Sonic Screwdriver – the ultimate lockpick device that could do everything from medical scans to tracking alien life to controlling the properties of atoms and molecules on a small scale in the famous British sitcom. All kinds of cool.

What are your thoughts on the new tractor beam tech? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# Image Credit: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Now a days seems most of scientists are working on Start Trek and Start Wars technology. 😎
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes scifi backed inventions had became a new trend where i like the smartwatches to the core.I always like gadgets around the clock.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Harshad Italiya
    Now a days seems most of scientists are working on Start Trek and Start Wars technology. 😎
    Movies do invoke ideas!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have an idea, that there should a tab known as 'Open source software', in which users can post their code. This is would help many newcomers like me and...
ASUS added new members to its tablet line up by unveiling ASUS MeMO Pad 7 and 8 (ME176C and ME181C), ASUS MeMO Pad 8 (ME581CL), ASUS Fonepad 7 and 8...
Samsung seems to be quite determined to push its home grown operating system across all its devices. After rooting Tizen on its smartwatches with an update and announcing its first...
I'm an engineer working in transportation. In my previous life, I worked as a software developer. So, when I started working as an engineer, I started writing an application largely...
Abstract The purpose of this project is to modernize the civil/structural consulting engineering profession and increase the efficiency and proficiency of the work-load for both the consultants and the contractors...