TP-Link 300Mbps WiFi Range Extender With AC Passthrough Review

Wireless Range Extenders have become necessary companions, even for the most modern routers. The strength of wireless signal drastically reduces if they encounter walls or other obstacles and hence it becomes necessary to boost these signals midway so that you get a wider range for your router's signals. In this official CrazyEngineers Review, we'll look at one of the latest wireless range extenders (repeaters) launched by TP-Link in India. TP-Link, as you'd already know, is the world renowned maker of wireless equipments. The product we'll be looking at is called "TP Link 300Mbps WiFi Range Extender With AC Passthrough" - TL-WA860RE. Take a moment to appreciate the beauty of this gadget -

TP-Link-Wireless-Range-Extender-AC-Passthrough-4

Did you say "AC Passthrough"? What does it mean anyway?

Frankly speaking, I had no clue what Router / Range Extender 'AC Passthrough' Explained meant until I got access to this range extender. Typically, 'ac' in the wireless domain would typically refer to the IEEE 802.11ac networking standard - one of the latest in the 802.11 family. I thought this repeater would support the 'ac' signals. However, AC Passthrough is something totally different. It's all about the physical design of this range extender that allows you to plug-in AC power socket into it while it's connected to the power-point.

"AC Passthrough" Is Cool! Here's Why:

Most of the wireless range extenders sit on the power outlet, totally blocking any other plugs. Since most of the range extenders will be put to use for long periods of time and are seldom removed, they'd need their own power outlet that's within the range of your router. The AC Passthrough however allows a new AC plug to be fit in directly through the socket on its body allowing you to use the powerpoint for your other gadgets or appliances.

But there's a drawback!

The round shape of the AC Passthrough limits the access to round plugs. I could not get the Samsung Smart TV cord to fit into the socket. Keep in mind that unless you have round shaped power plugs, the AC Passthrough won't be of much use.

Unboxing and First Impressions

The TP-Link Wireless Range Extender is a pretty looking gadget that ships with an RJ45 network cord, an installation guide, support information booklet, a mini CD ROM with installation software in the box. The main unit itself has an array of three LEDs on the front to indicate wireless signal strength, ethernet connection and the device status. On the side, you'll find buttons to factory reset the repeater, the WPS button which makes setting up the router a cakewalk and device on/off button. The networking port is logically placed at the bottom of the device so that you can attach your TV or gaming console to it.

TP-Link-Wireless-Range-Extender-AC-Passthrough-1 TP-Link-Wireless-Range-Extender-AC-Passthrough-2 TP-Link-Wireless-Range-Extender-AC-Passthrough-3
(Click On The Thumbnails For Bigger View)​

The antennas need to be turned in 180 degrees, in upright position that not only allows for better signal throw, but also gives the device the look of a futuristic robot.

The Testing Setup

We deployed our ASUS AC-66U Dual Band 802.11ac Router as our main provider of the wireless network to access the 16 Mbps dedicated fibre line. For a more realistic test, we chose a point about 30 ft. away from the router with two walls in between. There are two ways to setup this router, one is the easy way - that requires you to press the WPS button on your router and the extender and the second one is for those who do not have the WPS facility. The second way is also very straightforward and can be easily completed without needing the mini CD-ROM software. Follow these steps:-
  1. Find a power-outlet within your router's range that has good signal strength.
  2. Hook the TP-Link Wireless Repeater the the powerpoint and turn it on. Watch the LED turn from orange to solid green - which will indicate that the router is placed at a correct position in your main router's range.
  3. Now look for wireless network on your laptop that says starts with TP-LINK...
  4. Now type https://tplinkrepeater.net in your browser.
  5. Your browser will pop-up a modal window asking for username and password. Type username as: admin and password as: admin
  6. You will then be greeted by the setup window that will guide you through the rest of the process. It's straightforward and comes with help in the side panel if you get stuck.
  7. Once you are through the setup process once, you are all set. You can now relocate your extender and have it auto-connect to your network.
TP-Link-Wireless-Range-Extender-AC-Passthrough-5

Oh Wait! It Does Not Support 5 GHz Frequency Band!

With the 2.4 GHz band getting over-crowded, your connection would quickly become a mess if you live in a society where everyone's got their own wireless router. It's important that the extenders support the faster 5 GHz band, which would be far more reliable for getting good signal in your apartment or office. Unfortunately, the TP-Link Range Extender supports only the 2.4 GHz band which limits its data carrying capacity and reliability in areas crowded with other networks. This repeater seems to be an entry level offering from TP-Link that's meant for general browsing but not heavy duty file transfers or streaming (a la 4K videos via YouTube). We decided to check if it does what it's meant to do.

TP-Link-Wireless-Range-Extender-AC-Passthrough-6

Range: The coverage range offered by the extender highly influenced by the type and number of obstacles in the area. If you setup this extender in an apartment, which is where it's meant to be used, you can safely consider about 30 ft. of radius as a 'green' zone. The focus of the test was on ensuring that the signal does not drop and the browsing / or watching YouTube videos is a pleasing experience. The signal strength reduced a bit even with 2 walls between my Android (S6 Edge) and dropped to about half after three walls and at about 30 ft. At this point, the phone struggled to fetch YouTube.

However, without any obstacles in between I could move to about 60 ft away from the extender and still get signal strength; usable enough to load WhatsApp messages and open web pages. Further movement away dropped the signal strength to a point that made it almost useless.

Reliability: I'm pleased with the consistency with which the extender performed. I did not get signal drops and the extender kept beaming wireless without any issues. I kept the extender connected to the router for about 48 hours straight and kept connecting my phone and laptop intermittently; without facing any issue.

Opinion and Final Words:

The Good: The official price of TP-Link 300Mbps range extender in India is between Rs. 2500 - Rs. 2800. At this price, the gadget delivers a reliable performance and range. It does not exceed expectations but at the same time, does not disappoint as well. The AC Passthrough feature is definitely useful, but be aware of the limitation. FWIW, I think this wireless range extender offers a good value for money.

The Not So Good: If you own a dual-band router, this extender may not be the ideal choice for you. I'm not obsessed with 5GHz, but it's something I believe cannot be ignored by any serious Internet speed aficionado.

Overall: If you are tight on budget and have a single band router, the TP-Link Wireless Range Extender is definitely a recommended buy! 👍

Replies

• Michael B.Kh.
    Michael B.Kh.
    Cool!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just came to know that www.google.com/foobar/ is Google's hidden recruiting website. The things aren't very straightforward, obviously. Here's how I think it works:- Google keeps track of what information you...
Hi am RAVI ..can u olz tel me what is the qualification for to become a Tekla moduler or BIM design engineer.. And is any possibility to move to moduler...
i have tried running C in visual studio by looking on some articles over the internet but when i was using it , i was having problems because visual studio...
The touchscreen revolution has made several typing kings and queens feel left out. If you miss the sensual touch of your physical keyboard while typing long messages or emails on...
Windows 10 users had something to cheer about this Thursday when Saavn unveiled the Windows 10 universal app at a glittering function in New Delhi. Saavn had fleetingly mentioned in...