"Touch" will ever take over on Personal Computers ?

This is one of the most interesting & controversial tech debate at this moment.One side critics says "NO!" other end MS fans/developers yells "Yeah!"

People might be thinking that Windows 8 "opened" the doors of touch PCs. Nah! HP had touch screen machine back in 80's.First laptop invention had touch panel known as "SS mouse" or "Solid state mouse" using which users have to hold the arm are move things similar to touchpad now-a-days.

But for some reason (I am hiding it for sake of debate) it failed.

Whatever the reason maybe - I do think some of you might be looking forward to Touch PC while some not.

So, what's your take on "Touch PC" - Do you see it as future ? or Microsoft is again (as usual) gonna fail ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'll tell you - I never thought mobiles will replace computers ask primary means of computing. I hate small screens, but they are getting popular and replacing the desktops and laptops! So in the future, I'll be pushed to using mobiles for everything - whether I like it or not.

Now getting back to the point of debate - people think MS or Apple brought us the GUI; but it was XEROX that did!

I personally don't like Touch Screens. I'm yet to figure out how to make a better and productive use of it. All I do on the iPad is play games and only 'check' email.

I believe Microsoft and Windows 8's got nothing to do with the touch feature. They're just keeping their product up to date with the trends in the market. In my opinion, touch will survive only if it solves some problem. For me, it's created a new problem.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    There will be touch dominating devices future for personal computing but not because of windows 8.
    the reason will be cheap availability of computing devices from Micromax, Samsung and Nokia which are reachable in rage of mass public.
    I believe most of future invention goes to garbage because they aren't available or useful to most of the public.
    For an instance if Google Glass project will not be available at cheaper rate to public there will no use of it if only 10 people in a city, wearing Google glass and roaming around.
    Earlier touch devices and like expensive PDA failed because there is just few people can use it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Guys guys guys I am talking strictly of Touch in "Personal Computers" & not Touch in "Mobile Devices".
    I think main concern why the "Touch" will never partake PCs is due to "Gorilla Elbow".
    Who would like to hold arm continuously ? After 3-4 hours of usage,daily; the pain in elbows & hands has been observed.
    If not "technically" then the "health" is main concern why the "touch" is gonna fail.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Touch will take over on Personal computers, as in the past there was a time when people believed that computers will never be used for personal use (the good old Vacuum Tube days ) and the computers were too big to be put on a table😉. But with semiconductors things changed, and the things will change again, and MS is moving ahead than touch towards virtual environments with projects like (Kinnect), so the future is going to be what we today think as science fiction. Although how much time it will take is not known.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It will overtake personal computing because in personal uses there is consumption of data not the production.People just used to view data, they do not create.
    In cases of production of data like students and offices there may be people come with dual mode but still non-touch devices works faster. Even in production cases keyboard works faster than mouse.
    The reason why data production envonment can't be replaced!

Did Microsoft developer used or have plan to use only touch computer to develop next OS ?👀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I don't think touch will conquer our typical Personal Computers. But there's a chance if the Paper touch or Flexible Touch versions are introduced - (I read about those on Voice) 😉

My take on this topic:

Why even bother about touch? I'm waiting for the next generation of smartness in which Iron Man style PCs will come to life, and I don't have to even think about touching anything or carrying anything with me. It's all going be out in the atmosphere with maybe a pen like device or a band to carry the actual "Personal Computer" around!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All I say is that I want the mouse and the keyboard to stay. Let the touch-screens be there as 'option'. 😀
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    All I say is that I want the mouse and the keyboard to stay. Let the touch-screens be there as 'option'. 😀
    Haha, you're getting old buddy. You're just talking like the elderly people who got Nokia 1100 and says "I aint going to Note 2, its so big and typically of no use. Kid, phone are meant for calling and my Nokia is doing that. You just wasted 38k bucks on that." But the person using it only knows the reality and its utlity. It worth the every penny.

Touchscreens were adapted to actually provide big working area with less hardware and bulk. If you remember, the initial idea of providing big working area included addition of a sliding QWERTY keyboard but what it did was, it made device very bulky.

However, I wouldn't say I actually like touchscreen for typing and serious works but still its fun to use. Its just one of the initial development for shrinking the device sizes. You could never say you'll always want keyboard and mouse. May be next technology will totally work on voice reccognition or may be like can read your lips to interpret what you're trying to say. Possibilities are endless. So what we're supposed to do is adapt with whats coming. Its like we're volunteers of a big experiment done to achieve perfection.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For the records' sake, I have a Note 2 👍 and I do use it for some serious business use than listening to music or watching movies or tweeting or updating status on FB. I've tried traveling with an iPad, hoping to do some serious work with it - but every time I got disappointed. I can't write a meaningful blog post or create a presentation with the same ease I can with a physical keyboard and a mouse. 99% of the people I see use their mobile gadgets to 'consume' than to 'create' and to keep themselves entertained - which is the basic purpose of those devices.

You enjoy angry birds and Fruit Ninja in its full glory only on a touch-screen; but type me a meaningful blog post, insert images; resize rename them with the same ease as that of the desktop/laptop and I'll want to learn it from you.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Excuse me guys for bumping again.

"Touch" in Mobile devices will ofcourse is more preferable.But In my opinion,"Touch" in Personal Computers will never take over on mouse & keyboards for the simple fact of "Gorilla Arm".
    After many recent reviews from critics it has been said that touch in PC will not "ease" the work but rather it will rise many more physical(hand) diseases related to veins & muscles.

Now sit on your desktop & assume it is touch PC & operate it for 10-20 minutes by touching on screen continuously,you'll notice pain in your elbow & even shoulders.
    This gives pain similar to : when small child is asked to raise his hands for a lecture because he/she misbehaved or whatever.
    So,Touch in "Personal Computers" - Never!
    Touch computers in business - maybe,but we don't refer those computers as "Personal Computer",right ? 😉
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    #-Link-Snipped-# , the problem which u mentioned is valid, but it simply means that it will lead to changes in the design.
    Today's PCs are placed on tables, maybe future PC's with touchscreen are embedded in tables😉, so it will fix the problem u told. The design will have to be made a little tilted so that it provides optimum viewing angle. So my point is, however impossible an endeavor may seem, with efforts it is always realized.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    #-Link-Snipped-# I like your suggestion table Embedding leads to eye strain and Neck strain imo this is not suitable for excessive users. But you know those people who want to show they have a "Touch PC" This will be their pick

And so Sorry CEans this Gadget is out of the window for you guys
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Conqueror
    #-Link-Snipped-# I like your suggestion table Embedding leads to eye strain and Neck strain imo this is not suitable for excessive users. But you know those people who want to show they have a "Touch PC" This will be their pick

And so Sorry CEans this Gadget is out of the window for you guys
    Thanks for your feedback, guess this Touch PC needs proper engineering😉.I just guessed it as we do read books put on the table, but it don't cause much strain.I maybe wrong about this but I was trying to point out that there is a possibility of Touch PC, the only need is right design and good marketing😁.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    rahul69
    Thanks for your feedback, guess this Touch PC needs proper engineering😉.I just guessed it as we do read books put on the table, but it don't cause much strain.I maybe wrong about this but I was trying to point out that there is a possibility of Touch PC, the only need is right design and good marketing😁.
    Seriously speaking I spend less than 15 mins with my books and 5 to 6 hours in front of my laptop Now consider me stooping for such a long period over my Touch PC and imagine the strain in my back and eyes
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Touch screens seems perfect for kiosks and information terminals, but I don't think I will be comfortable with using touch input all day at home. I am more at ease with the monitor and input devices at ergonomic positions (with some sort of tactile feedback) if I'm going to use the PC for long hours 😀

Though, I seriously wouldn't mind playing with this once in a while:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

DoCircuits offers you a web-based circuit simulation program, it is a virtual lab which lets you create,analyse & run analog & digital electronics circuits from your browser. You can go...
So, we're starting again the Weekend Technical Discussion from this Sunday i.e. 20th. Interested CEans vote for the topic you want to see/discuss on Sunday. Poll will be closed after...
GRE takers find the verbal section as one of the most difficult sections to crack. You've to go through really long word lists and remember the words, their meanings and...
Hello to all!!! I am a student of computer system engineering...I have to make project on Computer Communication and Networking and also on Digital Image Processing... as i am a...
From my design course, i learnt how to design a belt drive connecting only two pulleys. (a driver with a driven). now i want to know the procedure, for designing...