Top & Evergreen IT Skills

Since about a decade, IT sector has attracted the attention of state's policy makers, financiers, investors and career conscious due to its phenomenal growth. This, mainly a service industry, is independent of an academic degree, where a person with educational background in any discipline can grow an prosper, provided he / she knows and understands the exact requirement of this service industry. The main problem being faced by this industry is actually it is reeling under manpower crunch amid burgeoning unemployment figures. I am particularly referring to the unemployment of those youth who have undergone either academic degree or vocational training or certifications relevant to the industry but still not able to make their way into it. The reasons are many but probably one of it is there is no proper awareness as to what exact skills they need that are particularly in demand. That has provided me with the purpose to submit this post. The list of the following skills has been drawn on the basis of a survey by "computer world" by polling about 350+ IT executives and CEOs. The survey was carried out towards the fag end of 2011. The following IT skills were listed as top & evergreen (likely to prevail for next 8-10 years and strengthen) -

Programming & Application Development - This covers the gamut from website development to upgrading internal systems and potentially huge exposure to the needs of the mobile users.

Project Management - The traditional requirement of project managers as only to oversee or monitor the project is waning, while it not being replaced but joined with additional skills of project evaluation, project architect, requirement analysis & evaluation, and translating it to staff, are emerging due to involvement of more complex technologies and rapid technological development.

Networking - Due to rampant use of virtualization & emergence of cloud computing, the base of which in networking, the sector is hot, is no wonder. Citrix , VMware and there may be many more to come.

Data Center - For the same reasons as the Networking (virtualization & cloud) and also each passing day the increasing volume of the data and the importance of it in the business to draw the business intelligence, this sector is going to provide probably the maximum opportunities. Will require not only the knowledge about the database programming but also the database administration, data warehousing, system integration, data storage etc. A vast field full of sub-sectors with potential of specialization.

Web 2.0 - Tech skills centered around social media, .NET, Ajax, and open source (LAMP), CMSs.

Security - Security is one of the most prime concerns in the implementation of web based technologies and data communications. With increasing cyber crimes, the forensic expertise in the sector of data transmission, storage and handling is gaining great importance.

Telecommunication - Skills in IP telephony, Cisco IPCC call center systems.

Hope this will provide some guidance to the readers to opt for a sector suitable to their temperament and abilities. One thing is sure, with the proper type of skills there is huge void to be filled in the IT sector.

Replies

• gandhi vishrut
    gandhi vishrut
    but how to start a career with that field...i'm interested in networking, so what am i supposed to do to secure a good job ? pls guide me
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    gandhi vishrut
    but how to start a career with that field...i'm interested in networking, so what am i supposed to do to secure a good job ? pls guide me
    Doing any certification before getting into the job market may help you .....
    Recruiters always prefers the guy's with certifications and good technical skills in networking field.
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Doing any certification before getting into the job market may help you .....
    Recruiters always prefers the guy's with certifications and good technical skills in networking field.
    This comment is quite obsessed with the certification, which according to me is not quite true. There are majority of the institutes, which provide certifications and related training, don't have experienced faculties but they are only "certified" faculties. There is no expectation from such faculties to pass on any real knowledge, but only the test oriented knowledge to just get through certification exams. Though there is nothing wrong in the purpose or idea of certification, the way that is administered, at least at most of the centers in India, is really questionable. There are lot of illicit brain dumps or writup material being circulated and that is done mostly by faculties of these institutes only. Instead of providing proper training, most (may not be all) of those faculties are only providing those dumps is the reality. So it is not the certification which is valid but the most important is the valuable knowledge obtained from an experienced faculty. So while joining a certification institute confirm first the background of the faculty, if he is experienced, teaches from his own experience or some prescribed writup or such illicit exam dumps. I would just like to ask a simple question - if the certification is so reliable then those original vendors should only pick the guys for their jobs from their own certified institutes, but they are known to go to top institutes conducting campus interviews to fetch the talents. Also visit #-Link-Snipped-# to get more insight into getting certified.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends, I am Mitul Patel From India. I am new member here. I joined these forums to get more information about the engineers activity and project ideas. However I...
Well.. here's some food for thought. I had my mobile battery kept just next tomy laptops' outlet air vent and i noticed it was getting heated. The thing bugging me...
hi... m an cs engineering student.m studying in 4th sem.i m here to improve my knwoledge
Lecture by Professor Oussama Khatib for Introduction to Robotics (CS223A) in the Stanford Computer Science Department. In the first lecture of the quarter, Professor Khatib provides an overview of the...
Moschip Semiconductor Technology Ltd, a design services company based out of Hyderabad has launched a personal computer virtualisation system to allow gaming, video streaming and Internet browsing on TV. The...