Tips to get accepted in to university

Hi guy. I was wondering if any one has any tips to get into university. Well I know you have to get good grades(which I have), and I also know that you need to take certain coures in high school(math,science,etc). Are there any ways to increase my chances of getting into a better university. Also while I am on this subject I was wondering about a "co-op" program. When I asked around about if it is worth it,(for those of who don't know, a co-op program where you learn a bit then you go out and work a bit in the field in which you study) people say that it increases your chances of getting a better job. But is it really worth the longer school time?
Also can any of you recommend some engineering schools around ottawa,canada.

Thank you to all answers
-Josh

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good grades certainly help. However, I believe every university has its own way of ranking applicants. I believe co-op program would help a lot. There's no match to applying the knowledge you gained in classrooms in practice. Of course, it'll be useful in getting better job.

PS: Our CEan Kashish recently got into a university in Canada. I am sure he must have few recommendations for you. I'm pinging him to comment in this thread.
  • Julian90
    Julian90
    I dont know of schools in the ottawa area but in the Greater Toronto area there's the university of Toronto which im sure you've probably heard of (good &challenging school), University of Waterloo (known for computer eng, and math), and also Mcmaster in hamilton (the one i'm attending) they are all good schools however they are around a 3 hour drive from ottawa so you might have to live away.

About choosing a school, I HIGHLY recommend you visit different Universities and make your decision based on the school that appeals to you because everyone has different preferences.

In Canada, applying to engineering is strongly based around your grades (specifically math, chem, physics, and english marks) there are some universities that require you to fill out a form which has questions like "why did you choose 'enter uni name' ?" or "describe your academic weaknesses". I would mainly concentrate on keeping the grades up and that is pretty much the biggest factor.

Hopefully SOME of that information was useful, goodluck on your future studies!!
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    Your grades is all you need basically. If you took required courses in your high school and have good grades, then you will be accepted surely. One thing that might help you is your "Statement of Purpose".

You have to send it with your transcript, make sure it is very impactful, dont just make it and send it, spend some time on it, I spent 6 days before sending it to UVic.

Near to ottawa there are many good universities, just post your grades with subjects and I'll tell you which university you should go in.

But hey if you are going to a university, I would recommend you to look outside of ottawa too, like about 300 kms away there is University of Toronto, I dont need to explain how good that university is. but if you are looking at ottawa only, then you remain limited in respect to the university.

I travelled 6000 miles to get in a better university, coz that is gonna impact your career a lot. But rest is your choice buddy. Just post of grades and stuff. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am working on a project to improve the cooling system of engines in bikes. For short distance commuters, it is difficult to get optimum performance as most of the...
I have sort of memory loss problem because of reasons would not like to go in that. I don't remember anything about my earlier days say junior college days or...
Hello engineers. This is moonfalsh doing my 2nd year IT. 😎
Hi Could anyone have idea on Job opening in Google for Business intelligence? Also please let me know how to apply for jobs in Google India. Thanks BI_GUY
RUNit File Size: 39 RUNit provides fast access to your most-used programs, via a menu you call up by right-clicking on the edge of your screen. This tiny program doesn't...