Tips and tricks in ubuntu.

Hello friend's,
I think most of our CEan's are new in ubuntu like environment.
So a good way to resolved this problem is share your tips and tricks with us.

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Ok i started with the first one.
    "cd ~/Desktop" command to access the desktop file through terminals
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Many of our CEan facing problem in finding packages for installing any software.
    If you are new in ubuntu try to follow this for installing softwares "System->Administrator->synaptic package manager" or "Accessories->Ubuntu software centre".
    If you have more share with us.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Install compizconfig-settings-manager to have greater control over the Desktop Effects (using Compiz of course!! 😁 )

among others you can enable water effect which is basically like raindrops on your desktop!! Some of the effects are very cool!!
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    Install all required packages for c and c++ programs.Here is the command which install all the packages :sudo aptitude install build-essential.

1>Write the program and save using .c(for c program) and .cpp(for c++ program).

2>If you have save it to the desktop then write like this:-cd ~/Desktop

3>now to compile write the following in the terminal:-g++ .cpp -o .----->for c++ program
    for c program write .c instead of .cpp and gcc instead of g++.

4>to execute the program write:- ./ for ex ./hello.

and you are done..
  • Leo
    Leo
    Buddy i think you are starting very fast, many people are still new to Linux, start from basic.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    I simply mention the command to install the required package for c or c++.
    I think being a computer science we have to know how to write and compile a simple program in operating system which we are using thats why i share this tips here
  • Special
    Special
    Leo
    Buddy i think you are starting very fast, many people are still new to Linux, start from basic.
    your are right

please do start with the basic,
    i had installed ubuntu , i couldnt install anything in that.
    I coundnot even play my mp3 songs every time i have to convert the song into .ogg format and then play it😔
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Special
    your are right

please do start with the basic,
    i had installed ubuntu , i couldnt install anything in that.
    I coundnot even play my mp3 songs every time i have to convert the song into .ogg format and then play it😔
    Hey we started with the basics.Read from the 1st post.Here in ubuntu you need packages to installed any type of software.I think you need some mp3 player try to follow this "System->Administrator->synaptic package manager" or "Accessories->Ubuntu software centre" and search for the vlc.
    Let me know if any more problem is there.
    If you are new in ubuntu try to use some day after some day's you must like to work with them.I am realy a big fan of ubuntu.
  • Special
    Special
    can you tell me from were did u download ubuntu
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Check out here #-Link-Snipped-# for desktop edition.
    You can also order for it you just have to do a registration.And they send you a original CD of ubuntu on your house.It's free because ubuntu is open source.
  • Special
    Special
    thanks buddy! i will first install it and then i will ask your help. last time it took 5hours for installation, i was really fed up of it, i will download it and work it on the vmware

thanks!
  • Special
    Special
    mohit007kumar00
    Check out here #-Link-Snipped-# for desktop edition.
    You can also order for it you just have to do a registration.And they send you a original CD of ubuntu on your house.It's free because ubuntu is open source.

i couldnot install ubuntu on vmware

now can you tell me what to do?
  • bharathpb
    bharathpb
    Specialu...

Let me know what error you got while installing ubuntu in vmware...?
  • Special
    Special
    bharathpb
    Specialu...

Let me know what error you got while installing ubuntu in vmware...?
    there was no error it just got stuck there
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    If you complete your downloading->write it in a CD->start your OS->insert your CD->and then installed it under your current OS.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Install Midori 0.2.7 in Ubuntu 10.04/9.10
    Midori is a lightweight web browser.

Open your terminal and type this command "sudo apt-get install midori"
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Install Latest Version of shutter in Ubuntu 10.04/
    Shutter is a feature-rich screenshot program. U can take a scrnsht of a specific area, window,
    Open your terminal and type this command "sudo apt-get install shutter"
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Special
    i couldnot install ubuntu on vmware

now can you tell me what to do?
    if you just want a feel of ubuntu in a virtual enviroment, i suggest you try Oracle's virtualbox. It is easy to use, the documentation is easy to understand. All you need is an .iso image on your computer you can install it from there.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Follow this to install GNU c++ compiler in ubuntu.
    System->Administration->Synaptic package Manager->quick search for g++ and apply for installation.
  • Special
    Special
    try installing wine software, it supports almost every .exe file
  • Special
    Special
    how to run java programs?? in ubuntu?
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Search for JDK in Synaptic Package Manager and apply for downloading.
    After the installation open gpedit text editor write any program of java save them and try to compile and run from the terminal.
    let me know if any problem is there.
  • Special
    Special
    Am not able to run c programs in ubuntu,
    if i declare the header file conio.h it gives an error that "add.c:2:18: error: conio.h: No such file or directory"
  • Special
    Special
    Also am not able to run a simple program of addition,
    the program codes are:

#include

void main()
    {
    int a,b,c;
    scanf("enter the nos",&a,&b);
    c=a+b;
    printf("the sum is %d",c);
    }

the output given is:

anupam@ubuntu:~$ gcc add.c -o add
    anupam@ubuntu:~$ ./add
    13 5
    the sum is 142898335anupam@ubuntu:~$

please suggest something.....
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    conio.h is windows specific. use iostream instead

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friend's, I am thinking about designing a website in java. I just started to design home page for it. Any one interested in doing this.
Both sessions and cookies are used to store user information but what is the exact difference between sessions and cookies? when to use cookies and when to use sessions? @Big_k...
SPAIN has designed the world's first robot with its own " conscience "and " life " , which will entertain, teach and be a companion to humans who purchase it....
i am ccna certified , need some ideas about networking project live and working and can be used by students , security related or wireless
Meaning: peaceful, gentle and calm, happy and carefree Use: The halcyon days of the patient came to an end and were followed by times of suffering. Syn: tranquil, happy, idyllic,...