Tip: List of Free Engineering Software

Well, I thought of just posting this after I compiled a big list of programs, but it'll take some time. So i'll just post an initial list. To make the list complete, it'll take all of you CEans to contribute 😀 I was sorta inspired by the Neowin's List of free alternative software (click #-Link-Snipped-#), so I believe a dedicated engineering one here would be useful!

CAD software
#-Link-Snipped-#(OSS)
#-Link-Snipped-#(Free edition, need to register)
#-Link-Snipped-# (freeware)
#-Link-Snipped-#(General purpose 2D, freeware)
BRL-CAD: Open Source Solid Modeling (solid modelling system, OSS)

ECAD software
#-Link-Snipped-#(OSS)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Free edition)

Mathematics/Numerical
Scilab | Scilab(sorta OSS, alternative to MATLAB)

Analysis
Spectrograms, Spectrographs and Spectrogram Software | VisualizationSoftware.com(Wave analysis. Freeware)
#-Link-Snipped-# (design and analysis of buried structures. Free version)
#-Link-Snipped-# (stability analysis of slopes. Free version)

Circuit Analysis and Schematics
#-Link-Snipped-# (student edition)
#-Link-Snipped-#(student edition)
#-Link-Snipped-# (freeware edition. Im not sure of the limitations yet)
#-Link-Snipped-#(free version)
#-Link-Snipped-#(Circuit Simulator)

Compiler
#-Link-Snipped-#5 beta (OSS)
#-Link-Snipped-# (OSS. It can run off a USB, pretty useful)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Freeware IDE's from Microsoft. Has some limitations, but ideal for students and hobbyists)

Microcontroller stuff
- PIC
#-Link-Snipped-# IDE (free version)
#-Link-Snipped-#(freeware with some limitations, quick registration)
#-Link-Snipped-# (firmware burner)
PIC16BOOTLOAD - PIC16F87x bootloader(freeware)
picbasic.org — Coming Soon (PICBASIC, free version available)

- NXP

Welcome - Flash Magic (Free. Programming Tool For NXP Semiconductors)

-Freescale
#-Link-Snipped-# (Product Summary Page)
#-Link-Snipped-#(Development Studio,
free version with some limitations)

-ATMEL
#-Link-Snipped-# (IDE)

8051 Software, C Compilers, Basic Editor, and Chip Simulator

Embedded RTOS
#-Link-Snipped-# (free version with some limitations)

Terminal/SSH
PuTTY: a free SSH and Telnet client (great free telnet and SSH client)
#-Link-Snipped-# (useful connection manager for multiple tabs and instances)

Network Tools
Wireshark · Go Deep. (awesome network protocol analyzer)
#-Link-Snipped-# (cisco network simulator based on Dynamips. Note: Still need a licenced IOS)

Robotics
#-Link-Snipped-# (Express edition. Robot control and simulator)
#-Link-Snipped-#(freeware version. Latest one is a trial version)
#-Link-Snipped-# (a super fun physics simulator. xhx used it for our CE bot project)

Testing Tools

#-Link-Snipped-# (web application testing tool. Discussion Thread -> #-Link-Snipped-#)

Thanks to those who contributed! 😀

Yep, this list still has a long way to go. I've tried most the software listed above. I could have just googled for more, but it isnt right if I just copy paste them unless I've actually tested them. So, please post in any free software which you have used that could be useful to the rest of us! I'll update this list often. If we can have a big list, it can be sticky'd 😛

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I just added some PIC tools. Does anyone know a more user friendly PIC compiler like the CCS PCW PIC C-compiler? The HI-TECH one takes some extra steps to compile 😔
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Any CEan got anymore free engineering software which I can add to the list? 😀 Preferably ones that you have used before, of course!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump again*
    I added a free wave analyzer called Spectrogram (at version 16 now). It turns your computer into a Spectrum analyzer, using the MIC input of your soundcard. Its totally awesome stuff. Here's a quote from the website regarding its features:
    Spectrogram version 16 is a freeware dual channel audio spectrum analyzer for Windows 2000/XP/Vista which can provide either a scrolling time-frequency display or a spectrum analyzer scope display in real time for any sound source connected to your sound card. Spectrogram allows unlimited recording and playback of the sounds from the audio spectrum display and can provide very high resolution spectrum analysis of wave files with a wide choice of frequency bands and frequency resolution and either linear or logarithmic frequency scales. Spectrum data logging capability is also provided. Spectrogram is ideal for any purpose related to sound spectrum analysis including

• Analysis and identification of biological sounds
    • Analysis of bat echolocation sounds
    • Analysis and identification of human speech
    • Analysis of vocal and instrumental music

• Evaluation and tuning of musical instruments
    • Evaluation and calibration of home audio systems
    • Ham Radio audio reception and tuning
    I also came across SwitcherCAD III. The circuit analysis is quite easy to use. I'll test it more to see how well it compares with Orcad PSpice. Check them out!

I wanted to add Octave to the list.. but I had trouble installing it. Its a MATLAB 4 clone, meaning the syntax and keywords are virtually the same. Perhaps its easier to use than Scilab for those migrating from MATLAB.
  • suyash
    suyash
    A9CAD - for general 2D purpose ... quite simple to use and uses AutoCAD like GUI

Google Sketch up - for 3d modeling, haven't used it... but heard that it's quite powerful !!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bumps*

Added a entry to the Visual Studio 2008 express editions. They are free IDE tools from Microsoft, and pack quite a lot of functions.

Some links for more info:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Microsoft Visual Studio Express - Wikipedia

CEans, please do not hesitate to post your suggestions. Anyone know any wave analysis software? How about finite analysis? How about BasicStamp and AVR tools?

Ideally it should be a software you already tried 😀
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    why dont ya add some measurement helpfull s/w Labveiw form NI will do,you can also add some scripting tools like Python which are also helpfull,and finally Emulator s/w,it will help to run programmes without H/W or development kits.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

sauravgoswami
    why dont ya add some measurement helpfull s/w Labveiw form NI will do,you can also add some scripting tools like Python which are also helpfull,and finally Emulator s/w,it will help to run programmes without H/W or development kits.
    I found this link, it might be useful for those looking for emulators:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Unfortunately, I haven't tried any of them. If any of you have tried, please tell me so I can add on the list above.
  • dykstra
    dykstra
    Hi...anyone no of free software for creating long sections for pipe lines. cheers😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This thread got 'DIGGED' 😁 Welcome to everyone from DIGG. Help us digg this thread more 😉 !
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    OK , since I was abt ask you engineers a noob q?, I thought I'll ask it in here.
    I like to know which is the best software for simulating and building Schematics. 😕 I do not want use number of progs. Just one to built the shema, simulate it and transfer it clad design and possible auto routing is a must. 😉
    I thought of trying P SPICE, LT Spice and or just Spice, ( this is rather confusing ). You might be thinking tht me being an Engineer why I am asking, well it's tht it's been quite long since went off grid in circuit simulation in PC's since electronic work bench 5.0 ( yeah! yeah! I know it's old). I have been doing proto typing on paper sketches and building them on vero's since I cannot import chemical's to Maldives. ( if I did, i'll be on watch by some government officials, u know all this terrorist, and building bomb staff's, and since I am good at electronics and if get my hands on chemicals, well u know the rest, U know we can't get our hands on fire crackers, it's illegal here, we have a very $$#$_ government, god ! I hate it here).😡
    So any ways I got a contact from USA and he will etch the boards for a really low price so I need to give him a good layout of the shema's.
    So pls tell me, which is the best out there with a lot of libraries and goodies. The best of the best if any one have any Idea, I need full working one's. not for beginners, not for testing with limitations. OK. 😛.
    I have heard of Spice u know, but there are different ones and from different companies.
    Right now I am evaluating NI's Multisim. and I am having trouble simulating the diagram, it's saying I don't have a power source or something 😕.
    So shoot one suggestion to me
    Thanks 😁
    Rifaa
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sorry for the late response.

In terms of user friendliness, a complete package that could have worked (simulation and PCB trace creation) was Crocodile Technology. Unfortunately its not free and prices for commercial licenses are not publicly shown as its mainly aimed for educational institutions.

Theres a free complete package that I'm tracking at the moment called Qucs. Its a new circuit simulator that will have PCB layout in the future. Its still an early version.. but the roadmap is pretty interesting: Qucs project: roadmap

Anyways, for circuit simulations, OrCad Pspice is still quite effective even after all these years. If you want to do the PCB trace for it, I'd just recreate it again on Eagle Lite. Might be a waste of time, but Eagle is a great software. If you are running linux, you might give KiCad a shot.

But, if you really do want to save time, what you can do is create your circuit on PCB software that can export netlists first, then import them into simulators. I haven't tried that, though 😛

If one is involved with even more complex circuitry, its wise to invest in commercial software. Since I'm still studying, I'm not experience in that realm just yet. Eagle Lite might be restricted if you have a bigger design. In that case, you can try PCB Free.. but I haven't used it yet so you'll need to try it yourself.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Hey Ash, is yenka that good, what would you suggest, money is no of concern to me, I want the BEST
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    FlashMagic. Programming Tool For NXP Semiconductors
    https://www.flashmagictool.com/
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    @ GF
    Thanks, I'll add it. Is it easy to use?

Rifaa
    Hey Ash, is yenka that good, what would you suggest, money is no of concern to me, I want the BEST
    Its hard to tell. When they rebranded it to Yenka, they have specifically tailor made it for educational use. If you shoot them an e-mail about the commercial version, you might get access to a more suitable version.

Try downloading the trial version of Yenka. The interface is pretty clunky and a bit childish.. but it does actually allow you to simulate circuits and create the PCB (with auto routing).

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    @ash. Yup !! pretty childish I'd say. I registered and they gave me free licenses 😁 hoorayy!!
    But they have a lot of varieties, am a bit confused u know. I downloaded something called yenka 2.5.3. it says something about programing, and I Installed and still donno what the heck to do with it :shock:
    Do you have any idea?
    What is yenka for windows anyway? 😕

@gf. Will flash magic be able to program with the one I have, it says something about using the software that is currently loaded or something, anyways I am going to down load it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    At the splash screen, choose the "technology" tab. Then choose "Electronics".
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    ash
    At the splash screen, choose the "technology" tab. Then choose "Electronics".
    Oh boy...this is interesting. thanks buddy 😛
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @ Ash.. Yes it is very Easy to Use.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Rifaa
    @gf. Will flash magic be able to program with the one I have, it says something about using the software that is currently loaded or something, anyways I am going to down load it.
    Dear Rifaa,

It only Supports ICP method..Can you please tell me which NXP Controller You are Using!
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    godfather
    Dear Rifaa,

It only Supports ICP method..Can you please tell me which NXP Controller You are Using!
    Like I said ..I am 😕😕 on just what u asked. Sorry.
    Here's the manual of the programmer I have. Check it out and tell me.
    Your opinion means a lot to me for the time being, as I am just a beginner on this topic.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    PS.. Am I violating any rule here. I mean my file link says "rapidshare: blah blah"
    If so, sorry, I just pasted and quote the link from my RS account and it changed on it's own. Suggest me another method if I am guilty
    Thanks
  • Bergg
    Bergg
    Well done!

Bergg
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Rifaa
    Like I said ..I am 😕😕 on just what u asked. Sorry.
    Here's the manual of the programmer I have. Check it out and tell me.
    Your opinion means a lot to me for the time being, as I am just a beginner on this topic.

PS.. Am I violating any rule here. I mean my file link says "rapidshare: blah blah"
    If so, sorry, I just pasted and quote the link from my RS account and it changed on it's own. Suggest me another method if I am guilty
    Thanks
    Rifaa you can Hyper link any Text with your Own Link. by this Button [​IMG]
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Here the one Good Handy Compiler for PIC.

picbasic.org — Coming Soon
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Alright, added.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @ Rifaa.. can you please tell that actually what you want to know..?

if you are asking that FlashMagic is compitible with the Programmer Willem then i am sorry that i dont know about it.. i think you need Willem pro for that.
    in short FlashMagic is Specially made for PHILIPS(NXP) Microcontroller series. and specially using Serial programming method.

sorry if i am not able to understood you.. i have posted here according to my knowledge
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ash
    Alright, added.
    thanks very much ASH
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The testing tools Selenium and free open source tools.

i cant post the links now.
    will try or others can also post as they are free
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    @GF ..I have the software. The programmer came with willem pro.
    The main problem is that I really donno how to go about programming a PIC with it.
    I know how to insert the PIC into the programmer and follow the manual, the thing is what type of file is used and why I donno. and also to compile a basic program. U know what I mean.
    I 'll get back to you after a while. I just got up. I have to attend to my customers

Later.....much later
    I Installed the proton thingy. Is it an assembler. ( am I saying this right )
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    English-Scared
    The testing tools Selenium and free open source tools.

i cant post the links now.
    will try or others can also post as they are free
    Do you mean SeleniumHQ?

-> #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @Rifaa...Proton is a Compiler... and the file which you want to load in PIC it should be in HEX format
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Compiler. Once compiled, I get the HEX file, Right.
    Then what the heck is an Assembler 😕😕

seee..this is what I am telling you all.....you all are confusing little ol' me.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yes Buddy Assembler and Compiler are Different Things.

An Assembler converts Assembly instructions into executable machine language. A Compiler converts higher level programming language instructions into Assembly instructions, and then those are turned into executable machine language. Most Compilers allow generation of "object" code, which is the Assembly instruction set generated by the Compiler. Some older Compilers allow for the Assembly instructions to be fine tuned by the programmer.
    Compiled programming languages typically generate many lines of Assembly instructions for each program statement. Some programming languages, such as ANSI C, are very close to Assembly, while others such as Java, result in many Assembly instructions per program statement. Most Compilers are highly optimized and it would be difficult for a human programmer to improve the efficiency of the output.

and Proton is Compiler.... while using MPLAB you can make HEX file also.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Updated list with terminal and network tools
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Thanks for the Update Ash
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    SageMath - Open-Source Mathematical Software System

This is a opensource mathematics software. Though I have not used it, I have gone through their wiki, tutorials and screenshots. Seems powerful to me, you can map functions, even render 3D images!! It supports command completion by pressing the Tab key..
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I came across Webots during my project work. I was looking for a software in which I could animate my manipulator arm. It is a robotic modeling/manipulation software. You can make the environment using vrml, or make it on a solid modeling software and then import it to webots by saving it as a .wrl file. You can write the code for sensors using one of the available languages (c/c++/java/matlab). It is available for windows, linux as well as mac.
    The only drawback is that the free version is only a trial(one month). You need to purchase the software to use it further.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • ankur verma
    ankur verma
    can you tell me names of some of tested softwares among these....
  • blacrobous
    blacrobous
    Here is one which i use a free compiler named Codeblocks for C++ Runs on linux mac and windows

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • juma1987
    juma1987
    QT-Octave: #-Link-Snipped-#

OSS similar to MATLAB, work with .m files too. 😛
  • lunchboxmonty
    lunchboxmonty
    Cam tek peps

does any one know where i can down load camtek peps any version will do

cheers

Lunch
  • sirspracut
    sirspracut
    Re: Cam tek peps

lunchboxmonty

cheers

Lunch

comparatifmutuelle.org
  • Jamal Haseeb
    Jamal Haseeb

Key Features

• Conversion of units of physical quantities​
    • Log of all the conversions​
    • List of constants​
    • Easy, free and efficient​
    • New unit addition​
  • Jamal Haseeb
    Jamal Haseeb

• Beam Analysis with different load conditions​
    • Beam Analysis with different support conditions ​
    • Calculation of reactions at the supports
    • Conversion of units of physical quantities​
    • Log of all the conversions​
    • List of constants​
    • Scientific Calculator ​
    • Easy, free and efficient​
    • Embedded unit converter
    • New unit addition​
  • sam_from_hell
    sam_from_hell
    ash
    Compiler
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Freeware IDE's from Microsoft. Has some limitations, but ideal for students and hobbyists)
    I used to use Dev C++, but its outdated..
    Switch to Code::Blocks, I recommend it 👍.
    You can download it #-Link-Snipped-# (Better Download the 70MB one, because the smaller file does not include a compiler).
    (btw great list)
    --Cheers Sam 😀
  • riz
    riz
    Here is a short list of freebies i know about

smath -> Very similiar to mathcad my favorite and most used of the freebies
    google sketch-up -> pretty good for free different learning curve if your used to pro-e or solidworks
    cocoreate pe-> this is pretty nice design software the free version is quite limited but again a different learning curve if your used to pro-e or solidworks
    open office ->very nice spreadsheet tools
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Recently i have collected some more data related to Microcontroller stuff,
    This thread needs update. 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Here are some more software related to 8051.

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    TINA:- SPICE-Based Analog Simulation Program from TI

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Under The Microcontroller Category.

Freescale MCU
    CodeWarrior Compiler and IDE :- #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Bascom AVR IDE:- #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    First Page is Updated with the New Software links.

Guys Please share useful Software name and download link of your filed so other Ceans can get knowledge of it.
  • Jean Colley
    Jean Colley
    Hi All......Help to find SEO software, Thanks
  • kingdavid
    kingdavid
    Hi
    thanks for sharing software list is best list and easily download this software
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    You are an encyclopedia man.Thanks for the effort to compile the list.
    Do you know any analysis software used in Automobile industry.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Time to update this discussion!

Top free Data Analysis software -

#-Link-Snipped-#
    (Environment for Developing KDD-Applications Supported by Index-Structures)
    R Software Environment in 2022 - Reviews, Features, Pricing, Comparison - PAT RESEARCH: B2B Reviews, Buying Guides & Best Practices (For statistical computing and graphics)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (A Machine Learning toolkit)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Physics Analysis Workstation - a FORTRAN/C data analysis framework)
    ROOT: analyzing petabytes of data, scientifically. - ROOT (A modular scientific software framework)
    Jupyter and the future of IPython — IPython (rich architecture for interactive computing)

Free Mechanical Engineering Software -

OpenFVM project (CFD solver, evaluator of partial differential equations etc.)
    Salome Platform - The open-source platform for numerical simulation (Open source platform aimed at numerical simulation)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Uses an explicit time stepping algorithm to simulate dynamic situations)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Modeling for fluid dynamics, electromagnetics and heat transfer)

CAD/CAM Free Software -

Free Milling Software | MecSoft Corporation (Fully functional free 3-axis mill CAM software
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Free use)
    #-Link-Snipped-# Free CNC mill CAD/CAM
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Demo version is free)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (CAD/CAM software for milling)
    SketchLine Technologies-The Sheet Metal Cad Cam Software Solutions (CAD/CAM program for drawing and producing G-codes for sheet metal parts)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Online tool to build circuit boards, it generates G-Code for CNC)

Three Popular Freeware tools for CAD/CAM Engineers & Designers:

#-Link-Snipped-# (For 3D Design Concepts)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Cloud-based 3D CAD/CAM tool - free for students)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Eases the transition from 2D AutoCAD)

If anyone has any more freeware tools to share, please do.
  • Civil_RFEM
    Civil_RFEM
    RFEM - FEM Structural Analysis Software

Free student license for educational purposes - only registration required.
    Network license for Universities and educational institutions.
    TRIAL version with all features available for evaluation (30 days) for everyone.

Webapge: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Program: RFEM 6 | FEA Software | Dlubal Software

I hope it helps.
    Enjoy the work with the program.
  • Nadin Broun
    Nadin Broun
    ash
    Well, I thought of just posting this after I compiled a big list of programs, but it'll take some time. So i'll just post an initial list. To make the list complete, it'll take all of you CEans to contribute 😀 I was sorta inspired by the Neowin's List of free alternative software (click #-Link-Snipped-#), so I believe a dedicated engineering one here would be useful!

CAD software
    #-Link-Snipped-#(OSS)
    #-Link-Snipped-#(Free edition, need to register)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (freeware)
    #-Link-Snipped-#(General purpose 2D, freeware)
    BRL-CAD: Open Source Solid Modeling (solid modelling system, OSS)

ECAD software
    #-Link-Snipped-#(OSS)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Free edition)

Mathematics/Numerical
    Scilab | Scilab(sorta OSS, alternative to MATLAB)

Analysis
    Spectrograms, Spectrographs and Spectrogram Software | VisualizationSoftware.com(Wave analysis. Freeware)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (design and analysis of buried structures. Free version)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (stability analysis of slopes. Free version)

Circuit Analysis and Schematics
    #-Link-Snipped-# (student edition)
    #-Link-Snipped-#(student edition)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (freeware edition. Im not sure of the limitations yet)
    #-Link-Snipped-#(free version)
    #-Link-Snipped-#(Circuit Simulator)

Compiler

Microcontroller stuff
    - PIC

#-Link-Snipped-# IDE (free version)
    #-Link-Snipped-#(freeware with some limitations, quick registration)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (firmware burner)
    PIC16BOOTLOAD - PIC16F87x bootloader(freeware)
    picbasic.org — Coming Soon (PICBASIC, free version available)

- NXP

Welcome - Flash Magic (Free. Programming Tool For NXP Semiconductors)

-Freescale
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Product Summary Page)

#-Link-Snipped-#(Development Studio,free version with some limitations)

-ATMEL
    #-Link-Snipped-# (IDE)

Embedded RTOS
    #-Link-Snipped-# (free version with some limitations)

Terminal/SSH
    PuTTY: a free SSH and Telnet client (great free telnet and SSH client)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (useful connection manager for multiple tabs and instances)

Network Tools
    Wireshark · Go Deep. (awesome network protocol analyzer)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (cisco network simulator based on Dynamips. Note: Still need a licenced IOS)

Robotics
    #-Link-Snipped-# (Express edition. Robot control and simulator)
    #-Link-Snipped-#(freeware version. Latest one is a trial version)
    #-Link-Snipped-# (a super fun physics simulator. xhx used it for our CE bot project)

Testing Tools

#-Link-Snipped-# (web application testing tool. Discussion Thread -> #-Link-Snipped-#)

Thanks to those who contributed! 😀

Yep, this list still has a long way to go. I've tried most the software listed above. I could have just googled for more, but it isnt right if I just copy paste them unless I've actually tested them. So, please post in any free software which you have used that could be useful to the rest of us! I'll update this list often. If we can have a big list, it can be sticky'd 😛
    Great list, thanks for sharing!
  • Michael Miller
    Michael Miller

I'd like to suggest 2 more free software repositories to add to this list: QCAD and MaiQAD. The first is a stand-alone CAD application for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and the second is a web application devoted to helping engineers manage site visit and civil engineering data..

There's a download available from the QCAD website (https://www.qcad.org). The download is a QCAD Pro Trial, but once you remove the Pro plug-in, you have a completely free and open source product, which is very useful. Quoted from their download page:

"QCAD Community Edition

If you are looking for the free open source QCAD Community Edition, you can download the trial version for your platform (see above) and then remove the QCAD Professional add-on running in trial mode (click Remove in the Trial widget and follow on screen instructions)."

MaiQAD (https://maiqad.com) is a web application dedicated to site visit and civil engineering data management. It currently imports LandXML to a DXF, but the plan is to covert data in both directions, and also import survey data and site visit data (It will extract geolocation data from photos using javascript without ever uploading the image files. Combining this with GPS data, you will soon be able to quickly and easily convert electronic data from a site visit into graphics and data products that can be used as deliverables to the client.

As an aside, IMHO, I think this list is a great idea but the presentation could be a lot better. The list at the top should be the "latest and greatest", with the thread below. We shouldn't make people read through the whole thread to see a complete, updated list of (vetted and approved) free software.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Its a collection of 5 or more books, and what LoTR is to fantasy, Dune is to sci-fi. This book series is a must read for all those who have...
hi i m in ce world. i hav very lrss time to use net. i want to ask ce about my project. can u npls tell me how to post...
Hello guys M quite new or rather irregular wid Ce, but wheneve i get any doubi..i come to discuss wid u all.. so here s d doubi i got... how...
Ronjan aka Ranjan ! Wishing you Many HaPPy Returns of the day! May your dreams come true & you enjoy every moment of your life! Party On, dude!🎉 😁😁😁 -The...
Puzzle Taken From - https://www.archimedes-lab.org/ [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If a = 23 units and the value of the sides of the green square is a multiple of 11, what is...