Time & Steps To Shut Down Nuclear Power Plant?

With the recent news of blasts at nuclear plant in Japan, I'm wondering what's the typical time required to shut down a nuclear power plant?

Also, does anyone know the steps involved in the process?

Replies

• maria flor
    maria flor
    Just what the ambassador of Japan in US said they're putting water on the Nuke plant to cool down the temperature.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Can we use other coolants? Apart from water?However water is the most practical coolant with whole sea at disposal.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've absolutely no clue about Nuclear Power Plants and their operation. I believe they use Liquid Hydrogen as a coolant [just a guess!]- and it's the thing that caused the blast at the Japanese Nuclear Plant. However, the question remains : How long does it take to shut down a nuclear plant and steps involved in it.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Japanese have pumping sea water on plant. Don't you think it will create more hot temperature inside the plant since it is a salt water???
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    As far as I know, the coolant used depends on the type of the reactor. But mostly, it's heavy water (D[sub]2[/sub]O). Also, the blast might be due to any reason. It might also be due to some electrical short circuit, so to speak..

As for the actual process to shut down a nuclear plant, and the time it takes, I'm also clueless..
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Nuclear power plants can be decommissioned using three methods:

1. Dismantling -- Parts of the reactor are removed or decontaminated soon after the plant closes and the land can be used.
    2. Safe Storage -- The nuclear plant is monitored and radiation is allowed to decay; afterward, it is taken down.
    3. Entombment -- Radioactive components are sealed off with concrete and steel, allowing radiation to “decay” until the land can be used for other purposes.
  • sachleen
    sachleen
    vry well said ishutopre.....
  • Chandrakiran
    Chandrakiran
    As a design engineer for N plant ( just the beginner of course) i can try to explain it:
    1.In nuclear industry safety is primary concern rather than producing electricity. All safety and safety related equipments will have double and triple redundancy
    2.In nuclear power plant electrical supply to its auxiliaries are classified as
    Class IV normal power supply - from grid and from plant TG
    Class III emergency power supply through Diesel Generators ( 30 sec duration)
    Class II AC instrumentation and control supply through the UPS
    Class I DC instrumentation and control supply through batteries and rectifiers
    Normal condition Class IV power supplies power to all auxiliaries of the plant and Class II and Class I are called uninterrupted supply supplying power to safety systems
    Shutdown time: In nuclear power plant unlike thermal plant cannot be shutdown and sleep, reactor can be shutdown by applying scram signal and shutdown rods shut the reactor in no time, However still the reactor is in shutdown condition decay heat is produced in the reactor (7% of full power eg 500MW reactor will have decay heat of 35MW generated even in shutdown state) This decay heat is because the gamama radiation and daughter nuclei radiations in the reactor.
    This heat is to be removed else heat produced eventually melt the core. Shutdown cooling system should operate to remove the heat. ( Decay Heat can be removed by heat exchange at Steam generators or through outer environment by passive circuit (natural convection))

FUKOSHIMA: fukoshima is a Boiling Water Reactor ( BWR ); coolant and moderator is demineralized water (H20). In india mostly we have PHWRs and 1 BWR at Tarapur.
    Due to earthquake Class IV supply was gone and reactor came to shutdown state, Due to Tsunami Diesel Generators were flooded results in failure of Class IV and Class III power supplies.
    Shutdown cooling system didn't operate due to the failure of electric supply to the plant, water level in the reactor starts falling down and forms h2 gas ( reaction between zirc alloy fuel rod with steam) and h2 gas leaks from reactor vessel to containment building, pressure in containment building increases and h2 explosion occurs. Some amount of fuel also spilled out of reactor vessel. Later sea water is pumped into the reactor to cool it down.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

any internship/ training near delhi/noida related to cs branch????? quick replies awaited..............
Hello to all my fellow crazy engineers!
If we take a completely blank 9x9 Sudoku, then in how many ways can we fill it? In other words, how many different solutions are there?
Hey guys Does anyone know of a fancy technique to predict the load profile of a building based on last years hourly data? Assuming the demand is going up every...
Researchers at Northwestern University have developed a new switching device that could make quantum internet (very high speed and secure) Internet possible very soon. Check out our detailed VoiCE coverage:...