This building-top ring turbine would be ideal for Indian homes

With the Indian government going almost clueless about providing 24x7 electric supply to Indian homes, the only solution to have uninterrupted access to power is to create our own. The pic below shows a ring turbine that can be easily mounted on the top of building and generate power for your needs. Peace Frontier had built a prototype wind-powered generator using ring turbine back in 2011. It has a rotating outer-rotor generator with a coil inside, and magnets outside. The design eliminates the need of wide areas required for mounting and even the problem of low-frequency/noise ratio when the rotational speed is low.

slide
The ring turbine makes the path of wind-flow narrower, which makes the wind to flow faster through it. It also creates eddies and increases the force in the direction of rotation. The overall effect is that the efficiency of conversion is higher. The wind turbine shown above can generate sufficient electricity even with the wind speeds of about 3-4 meters per second. One big advantage of this turbine is that it is almost noiseless. The design also protects birds or people getting hurt accidentally.

The turbine can be mounted very quickly and easily on the building roofs. The Peace Frontier is now looking to install these turbines in schools and other office buildings. The plan is also to mount these on mobile towers and even in jungles for quicker access to electricity. Check out the video that describes these machines.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    One problem with such roof top turbines has to do witheddies formed when the wind is flowing over a low surface (the roof in this case), which is why conventional wind turbines tend to be tower mounted. I am sure some thought would have gone into this aspect when this ring turbine was designed.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Whatever it may be ? my question is the same : will this be commercialized ? will it be sold in India ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    Whatever it may be ? my question is the same : will this be commercialized ? will it be sold in India ?
    They're planning to make it a commercial venture in Japan. If successful, it may come to India; but no details are known yet.

I wonder why'd we wait for Japan to introduce these turbines in India? Can't the designs be improved further so that we make them super easy to install, operate and maintain? I'd love to see Indian company coming up with their own version of this.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    If it is to be used in India, I think an improvement to this could be a solar panel on the top of the turbine, so that the power is available in hot summer days, when there is no wind sometimes.
  • Neda Hashmi
    Neda Hashmi
    we don't have extreme climate here in India allover. i wonder how it can work 24x7.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This can be installed in India and I think apart from the turbine itself, we need to install relays, and power system protection equipment.

Since, the power should be regulated properly and we dont want to spoil our equipment.

Indeed an awesome invention, @#-Link-Snipped-# we dont need extreme climate to generate power through wind or sun light.
  • Neda Hashmi
    Neda Hashmi
    correct me if I am wrong <@Saandeep Sreerambatla> , we had a subject last year related to energy, it says that wind cannot be harnessed very effectively in India except some part of Rajasthan and Central India.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If you read the thread, this is not a conventional wind turbine which needs lot of air pressure to generate power.

As posted above this one needs only 3-4 mts per second, which is actually very common on top of a building!

I bet this works in any part of india with minor tweaks.
  • Neda Hashmi
    Neda Hashmi
    okay. thank you. 😀.
  • pramod Joshi
    pramod Joshi
    This is very good idea .
    Also let me know how we can add our ideas here
    Thanks
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    pramod Joshi
    This is very good idea .
    Also let me know how we can add our ideas here
    Thanks
    Hi Pramod, Welcome to CE.
    You can share your ideas by starting new discussion in appropriate section.
    There is a button on the top of every page.
  • Tan Phu
    Tan Phu
    This is very good solution if it will be used in Vietnam.
    When will it be sold to Vietnam, Ad?
    Thanks,
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tan Phu
    This is very good solution if it will be used in Vietnam.
    When will it be sold to Vietnam, Ad?
    Thanks,
    Not sure about it. I think visiting the official website may reveal some information.
  • Phu Nguyen
    Phu Nguyen
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not sure about it. I think visiting the official website may reveal some information.
    Thanks for your quickly reponse, enquire for electrical using very much in Vietnam and the electric price is increasing, this machine is very easy to install, so it's very suitable for big city, our website is #-Link-Snipped-#, would you like to send me more product info as: catalogues, operator manual, etc.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    A.V.Ramani
    One problem with such roof top turbines has to do witheddies formed when the wind is flowing over a low surface (the roof in this case), which is why conventional wind turbines tend to be tower mounted. I am sure some thought would have gone into this aspect when this ring turbine was designed.
    Can you please explain the problem about the eddies? I believe it should not be a problem since they will dissipate downstream soon. Besides, for a upstream (entering) flow of 3-4 m/s, the accelerated air at the exit end of the nozzle should not produce eddies of large strength.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The issue had to do with eddies that exist at roof surface level winds. Not eddies created by the turbine itself. The economics of roof level wind generators do not work out. This is one reason why large wind farms are located at large open spaces, poorly populated and often near the sea shore.

Even these farms have designed layouts to avoid interference between generators.

Have a look at this:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Akanksha Gupta
    Akanksha Gupta
    i think it is little difficult for it to work 24*7 and in all temperature conditions
  • chandra bhan sharma
    chandra bhan sharma
    Akanksha Gupta
    i think it is little difficult for it to work 24*7 and in all temperature conditions
    everything can't be perfect.if it will then there is no any chance to improve further.it is better then heaving nothing on the roof.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    chandra bhan sharma
    everything can't be perfect.if it will then there is no any chance to improve further.it is better then heaving nothing on the roof.
    There is a cost to everything. A poorly used capital equipment in open air location can easily become a liability. For a wind turbine to work well it has to be high enough above ground and have a clear field all around. Not easy in the urban environment.
  • chandra bhan sharma
    chandra bhan sharma
    A.V.Ramani
    There is a cost to everything. A poorly used capital equipment in open air location can easily become a liability. For a wind turbine to work well it has to be high enough above ground and have a clear field all around. Not easy in the urban environment.
    ya sir..you r right...but in windy season we can use it hanging it on a pole on the roof.secureing with a steel net.
  • chandra bhan sharma
    chandra bhan sharma
    Neda Hashmi
    we don't have extreme climate here in India allover. i wonder how it can work 24x7.
    we can't hope to work everything 24x7 ..take a example of solar panel..not able to work in night.
  • chandra bhan sharma
    chandra bhan sharma
    or in rainy season..cloudly day.
  • chandra bhan sharma
    chandra bhan sharma
    Neda Hashmi
    we can't hope everything to work 24x.take a example of solar panel..not able to work in night..rainy season...cloudly day..it is for only home perpose..basic of a big invotation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

LG Electronics Inc. has today introduced the highly anticipated tablet called the LG G Pad 8.3 - a tablet with really high resolution of 1920 x 1200 and the 273...
1)an ideal transformer has 3 windings : 100 turns on primary winding P, 160 turns on secondary windings S and 60 turns on tertiary winding T . winding S feeds...
We all know that universal motors run on both AC and DC power sources. now if a universal motor requires 12 V DC to work, then what would be the...
Google sure likes to kick ass, in as many directions as possible. It's latest indulgence is in the smartwatch segment, where it'll be lashing out at wearable device leaders Sony...
Spice Mobiles has launched a new phablet in the Indian market called the Spice Pinnacle Stylus Mi550. Though at first the name might misguide you, that is a new kind...