Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) Construction To Begin In 2014 In Hawaii

The mighty Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) has just received the land permit from the Hawaiian Board Of Land & Natural Resources (BLNR) and the construction is likely to begin in April 2014. The optical and near-infrared telescope is capable of observing light emitted in the sky 13 billion years ago - and will help space researchers track stuff in vacuum. The coverage area of Thirty Meter Telescope is 9x its peers and the sharpness is nearly 3x. The telescope itself has been under development for more than a decade but the amount of real estate required to construct the telescope created obstacles for the construction to begin.

slide

The TMT is a next generation astronomical observatory and is expected to begin scientific operations in 2021. The observatory is being built by collaboration between California Institute Of Technology, University Of California along with Universities from Japan, China, Canada & India.

Images Gallery
newtmtimage1tmt sunsettmt-5top view of tmt complex

Via: TMT International Observatory

Replies

• PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    INDIA IS ALSO TAKING PART IN THIS HISTORICAL PROJECT.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    This will surely help to probe into the deeper mysteries of our universe and its evolution...!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    PRAD CHAKRABORTY
    INDIA IS ALSO TAKING PART IN THIS HISTORICAL PROJECT.
    Yes. The actual names of the Indian universities isn't clear yet. I believe IISC Bangalore is involved; but that's just a guess.
  • PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes. The actual names of the Indian universities isn't clear yet. I believe IISC Bangalore is involved; but that's just a guess.
    AS FAR AS MY OPINION GOES THE PROBABLE LEADING INDIAN INSTITUTES ARE ARIES-NAINITAL.
    IUCCA-PUNE.
    IIA-BANGALORE.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, we've worked out the account points, trophies and ratings and they should reflect in your accounts now. You will receive alerts for every new trophy that you've earned. The...
WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF A TURN BUCKLE IN CASE OF FORK MOUNTING TELESCOPE? ARE THE THREAD SIZES ON BOTH SIDES OF A TURN BUCKLE IDENTICAL?
India's 'Solar Man', Santipada GonChaudhury of Bengal Engineering & Science University has submitted research proposal to the Science & Technology Department of government of India to develop a 'Solar Shirt'....
Though the internet is a great source of information, it is like an ocean. If the question is not put properly, we rarely get expected answers. Eric Steven Raymond and...
electrical engineer batch of 2008-2012.still have no job.should join i npti .