The White Tiger

I was thinking of starting with Arvind Adiga's debut and Man Booker Prize winning novel "The White Tiger". It revolves around a boy from rural background and an extremely poor family. The novel showcases his journey of life.
Has anyone gone through it? reviews please. :smile:

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aashima
    I was thinking of starting with Arvind Adiga's debut and Man Booker Prize winning novel "The White Tiger". It revolves around a boy from rural background and an extremely poor family. The novel showcases his journey of life.
    Has anyone gone through it? reviews please. :smile:
    My sister read it and she think its crap. ๐Ÿ˜ก I didn't dare to read it.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Pardon me if I am wrong but why are most of the booker prize winning novels not upto readers' expectations?
    Only one that I have heard so far is interesting is "God of small things" by Arundhati Roy.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aashima
    Pardon me if I am wrong but why are most of the booker prize winning novels not upto readers' expectations?
    Only one that I have heard so far is interesting is "God of small things" by Arundhati Roy.
    Actually, most of the prize winning stuff doesn't get into readers' mind. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I still wonder why Mr. M.F. Hussain is so famous. ๐Ÿ˜
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I just finished the book about 3 hours ago. It is the story of a man born in a remote village where the people are slave to the landlords and how he breaks his cage. Arvind Adiga tries to look at the real India. His way is quite complex and I had to read a few pages carefully. The book is thought provoking. But some of the ideas/philosophy it carries are good and some are bad. Some things in the book are correct and some are wrong. This book shows us what India really is underneath the false/imaginary blanket of the word "India Shining". I will not give any stars or points to the book. Neither will I recommend or denounce it. Whether the book is good or bad is the readers decision. I found it to be good read, someone else may not.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I read "White Tiger" around 5 days ago on a friend's recommendation.
    I am 18 years old, citizen of India.
    I love my country. ๐Ÿ˜›
    And the book tells me that India is a country full of shit.
    In India, all you can find is unemployment & corruption.
    Well, I don't deny it completely.
    But, the book left me feeling that there is no good in the country.
    And that's why I hated that book. ๐Ÿ˜ก

Moral : Don't judge a book by the awards it gets ;-)
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Ya, I too read the book, and I felt that it was crap totally. I didnt find a single good thing being told about India. I might not have read carefully, nevertheless, I think it's too much. In the story, the chinese premier visits India to find out about the state of entrepreneurship in India. Our hero writes to him stating he's a social entrepreneur and tells how hw got to his present position from a poor family. All he had to do was kill his master and take the money, go to some far away place and start a business himself. The author has managed to cast an impression that this is what India is all about. And that's very wrong.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Guess I should think of some other book! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    By all means, do read the book. Dont just go by our opinions alone. May be yours will be different. Who knows?
    Besides, it's only a small book. you can finish it in one sitting. Two to three hours at the most.
    That is if you have no issues buying the book, of course.:smile::smile:
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    aashima
    Guess I should think of some other book! ๐Ÿ˜›
    No, don't do that. Read the book. Then form an opinion. As I have written earlier. It has some good points and some bad points and some good points that have not been presented in a proper way and therefore appear bad. We should have an open mind and see how someone else views the same thing. Each has a different viewpoint.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Alright, I'll give it a shot and will post my reviews. :smile:
  • jatin-phoenix
    jatin-phoenix
    i read the book. it only shows what happening around us. and every word of it is true. i liked it. you should read it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here is code ...start from 19.and there is alsoa story related to it..i am posting it in the next reply
Was trying to log into my Gmail account with Chrome got this error: 400 bad request Google Error Bad Request Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request I...
I am kind of an inventor and always come up with problems that need answers. Let me think..... Variable speed transmission (line Nuvici bike hub) This would be very important...
I found an interesting puzzle on the following website. Check it out - Genius Numb3rs - CBS.com ๐Ÿ˜
Go to the following location at your risk. The challenges in the following PDF will spin your brain and skull in opposite directions. You've been warned: https://www.darpa.mil/dso/personnel/23_math_chall_b_mann.pdf