The Science Of Deduction & Deductive Reasoning

After watching the Sherlock series on BBC; I searched a bit for the science of deduction and whether there are anyone existing theories that let you do the effective deduction. But it looks like there aren't any. While we know that what we see in the Sherlock series is pure imagination; do you think it's possible to do that?

I believe yes! If my memory serves me correctly, it was the Deep Blue computer that used this technique to calculate opponent's next move and based its current decision on the best possible outcome it'd expect from the opponent. It's possible, but it may not be possible for the human brain. We're limited by the number of calculations we can do and the number of memory areas we can access effectively to unlock all the information required for the logical reasoning.

Do you think there exists something called the 'science of deduction'? If yes, can we come up with simple examples where this technique can be applied? I'm quite sure if we can learn something from this discussion; it will help all of us 😀

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have read that there is a subtle difference between deduction and induction. Both of them are just two different types of inference, but both equally important.

Sherlock Holmes is always associated with deduction, yet many of his ‘deductions’ were actually inductive interpretations based on evidence.

I would like to see a few examples here from the science of deduction, that we can use in practical life. Anyone?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here are very interesting steps :

1. Observe everything.
    2. From what you observe, deduce everything.
    3. When you will eliminate the impossibilities, whatever remains, no matter how mad it might seem, must be the truth.
    Steps looks awesome to me😀 .

#-Link-Snipped-# : Some case studies also there.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ianoop
    Here are very interesting steps :

1. Observe everything.
    2. From what you observe, deduce everything.
    3. When you will eliminate the impossibilities, whatever remains, no matter how mad it might seem, must be the truth.
    Steps looks awesome to me😀 .

#-Link-Snipped-# : Some case studies also there.
    Yep. That is Sherlock's official blog featured in the BBC series.
    There is a personal blog of Dr. Watson too: #-Link-Snipped-#

Can the science of deduction be used in academics too? Like for example we deduce chemical equations?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    AbraKaDabra
    Yep. That is Sherlock's official blog featured in the BBC series.
    😳 I thought it's just a blog.

I think we have started using it in maths problem like prove equation using contradiction and yes, in reasoning multiple choice questions, when you don't know the answer but still can find the correct one.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Those blogs are awesome!! Especially Watson's blog.. It's exactly like the original Sherlock Holmes.. Great job, BBC. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Verge's Paul Miller has vowed to leave the Internet for one full year and if things go right; forever! Miller pulled the plug on May 01, 2012 and won't...
Gmail today has announced an important feature: automatic email message translation. Google Translate product manager Jeff Chin announced the availability of the service through official blog post on Google blog....
Pinterest's growing popularity is attracting it lots of new and old friends. In a recent move, the Flickr service has announced tighter integration with the world's favorite photo wall: Pinterest....
While copying about 600 Mbs of photos from my USB flash drive to my computer, I found out that the reading speeds were abysmally low (around 10 Mbps). I began...
Quimera Responsible Racing and the UK's Alex Letteriello and his small team at Evelio Electric Supercars have jointly developed All electric drift car (aka AEDC) capable of covering 150 miles...