View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12890 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Jul 9, 2008

The scary Google Dot !

Okay,

Here's something very (very) interesting. There's a dot in my Gmail that's been scaring me since morning 😭.

Here it is -

[​IMG]

The above screenshot has been taken while Gmail was loaded using FireFox 3 browser. I guess its there in IE7 too.

So, what's going on in that dot? Probably a tiny camera that's keeping watch on me while I'm in front of my computer? Is that how Google's going to tell me about stuff I'm trying to find out? 😒

Come on fellas, what is that dot doing there?
kedarjk
kedarjk • Jul 9, 2008
Hahahahhahaha...
I'm using IE7 and I'm not seeing it.
Kaustubh Katdare
Strange. I checked it on IE7 too. Its not there!

But Firefox continues to show the ugly, scary dot.
Ashraf HZ
Ashraf HZ • Jul 9, 2008
I'm not too sure myself. I've noticed that dot since last week, and always assumed it was an ajax thing 😛
Kaustubh Katdare
ash
I'm not too sure myself. I've noticed that dot since last week, and always assumed it was an ajax thing 😛
You surely don't know what AJAX is 😁 .

[*Time to write a tutorial*]
Ashraf HZ
Ashraf HZ • Jul 9, 2008
Well, it could be anything. You could certainly code something in ajax to produce that dot, you know 😉
Ashraf HZ
Ashraf HZ • Jul 9, 2008
Biggie, here's some clues:
Strange square on Gmail - Google Blogoscoped Forum

It seems to be some iframe/CSS thingy to hold a "sound" object. The frame is given a zero size, so you get that box.

... I was close! Sorta 😛
gohm
gohm • Jul 9, 2008
Looks like Microsoft is spying on users of other operating systems in hopes of blackmailing them back to MS?

only kidding MS! (sort of 😀)
Ashraf HZ
Ashraf HZ • Jul 9, 2008
Blackmailing? 😛

"Mr Netzel, we see you have fetish for ordering.. *checks* Nail Polish and Lipstick? If you do not use our excellent MS products, we shall inform your wife.. *evil laugh*"
KINETIC_JOULES
KINETIC_JOULES • Jul 9, 2008
ash
Blackmailing? 😛

"Mr Netzel, we see you have fetish for ordering.. *checks* Nail Polish and Lipstick? If you do not use our excellent MS products, we shall inform your wife.. *evil laugh*"
LMAO. . .!!!
MaRo
MaRo • Jul 9, 2008
I love Opera!
KINETIC_JOULES
MaRo
I love Opera!
Huh? That was random.
MaRo
MaRo • Jul 9, 2008
I mean Opera Web browser 😀
raj87verma88
raj87verma88 • Jul 9, 2008
Maro is an opera fan and won't even hear about IE, firefox or any other browsser available.
KINETIC_JOULES
I don't like IE. . . it's too slow. I only use mozilla. It's like 5 times faster and not virus prone like IE is. . .
Hey enthusiastic guys... Its not a debate on browsers ... we were discussing back dot on IE 7 for gmail.

So better to stick to the topic in thread

-Crazy
KINETIC_JOULES
crazyboy
Hey enthusiastic guys... Its not a debate on browsers ... we were discussing back dot on IE 7 for gmail.

So better to stick to the topic in thread

-Crazy
Sorry. . . I tend to throw my opinion in everything I say.
I have no idea what the black dot/square could be. I think it's the government. . .
HELLO guys!!!..how about linux....use linux for accessing gmail

Share this content on your social channels -