The report that ended my tobacco addiction

Fifty years ago one Tuesday the report of the Royal School of Physicians came out on the dangers of smoking. I was a hopeless tobacco addict at that time. I was so frightened by the report that I quickly smoked four five cigarettes to calm me down, threw out the report into the waste paper basket and continued puffing.
This report was followed by one from the Surgeon General of USA. By now I had developed the technology to deal with such reports. So life went on the usual cloud of smoke. Dame nicotine does not easily let go of her conquests.
Yet these two reports festered in my mind.
Finally, curiously on a Tuesday, the third day of the week, on 21st - the last day of the third week of the month, of March the third month of the year in 1967 I kicked the butt and never smoked again.
Otherwise I would have kicked the bucket.

Here is what started it:
Smoking and health 50 years on from landmark report - BBC News

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I stopped but i still take a puff now and again when im stressed out.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not sure what's the point. There are doctors who smoke. Reports don't scare people.

I said 'no' to the friends who offered me the 'first puff'. One of the best decisions I took in my life: Gave my own health more priority than idiot friends.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I said 'no' to the friends who offered me the 'first puff'. One of the best decisions I took in my life: Gave my own health more priority than idiot friends.
    That is the point. I did not. The first puff. The family doctor, who advised me to quit on my parents' request, told me that he was himself on the way out to the same habit. He died of tobacco initiated lung cancer quite soon after.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    My grandfather was a cigarette addict. He died of lung cancer. He died a worst form of death I can imagine.

Meanwhile, I had an experience of what is an addiction recently(not of tobacco of course). It was my first sip of wine. I have decided I will never drink again.

#-Link-Snipped-#: It is still unbelievable that a simple report can make a habitual smoker quit smoking.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    That is the point. I did not. The first puff. The family doctor, who advised me to quit on my parents' request, told me that he was himself on the way out to the same habit. He died of tobacco initiated lung cancer quite soon after.
    😔 It's sad to see that some people don't realize even after seeing deaths of loved ones that tobacco is harmful.
    I have seen people arguing that my so and so relative used to drink regularly or smoked every 3 hours, but lived good 90 years without a disease. Such people drive me insane.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    #-Link-Snipped-#: It is still unbelievable that a simple report can make a habitual smoker quit smoking.
    Red wine is actually good. I do not drink though. That report was the first official one on smoking. Fifty years back it was sensational. Even then it took me five more years to give up. The report sent chills down my spine. Fear is the key to spur one to action.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    bioramani
    Red wine is actually good.
    Mine was white. It tasted like rotten pickles 👀 That taste made me vow never to have any sort of alcohol again. ☕

bioramani
    Fear is the key to spur one to action.
    Very true. 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    Mine was white. It tasted like rotten pickles 👀 That taste made me vow never to have any sort of alcohol again. ☕ Very true. 😀
    The first cigarette was quite awful. This was given at a special dinner in the college hostel at 7-30 PM. Yet, before going to sleep that night I had already smoked a full tens pack. That is what is shocking about addiction.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Wine(both red and white) is *actually* good. But of course, like all other things, in moderation. I've never, and will never touch beer/vodka/whisky and any other variant alcohol has to offer, except wine(and champagne also, I'm yet to try it though!).
    Smoking to me is a strict NO, and thankfully I've got friends who hate touching cigarettes!
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    I feel that majority of people who smoke and drink started doing so because of over politeness and peer pressure.
    Just say NO.
    [​IMG]
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Punch_a_Tantra
    Wine(both red and white) is *actually* good. But of course, like all other things, in moderation.
    Shit is shit in any quantity👀. You are only trying to make biogas out of it 👍
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Ok, what about marjuana? Some argue its health benefits. Some hold it close to their religion. What do my friends here think about that?
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    CE Designer
    Ok, what about marjuana? Some argue its health benefits. Some hold it close to their religion. What do my friends here think about that?
    One thing my father told me- "If there's anything you want to do, or feel like doing, just go ahead and try. But if you are doing something just because others are doing it, stay away, you are doing nobody any good." Applicable to everything(regardless of health/career/life benefits). Simple.

If you don't want to smoke/drink, then please don't. Nobody can make you do something you don't want to do, and if he can, you're lost.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The guys at BBC take you on a ride to see what India had hundreds of years ago. The narrator aptly begins with, "While we British were still in the...
Recently I came across the name 'BodhiDharma' who was a Buddhist monk from South India. He is traditionally credited as the transmitter of Ch'an (Sanskrit: Dhyāna, Japanese: Zen) to China,...
I got a year back in my graduation. I will complete my b.tech. in mechanical this year 2012. My agg. percentage is 60.90 till now. Am I eligible for gate...
I think most of you always see different kinds of campaign of companies for promoting their products such as selling with discounts. Do these campaigns disgust you? Now there are...
What i want to know is what is the current scenario in wind power generation in india. suppose my company would like to invest in one 1 MW wind turbine....