The Reason Inventors Of Blue LED Won Nobel Prize In Physics (2014)

...because the Blue LED (light emitting diode) does a lot more than you thought! These are the diodes that have been powering your bedroom lamps, smart TV screens, your smartphones, tablets and are likely to provide light to over a billion people around the world in this century. The Nobel Assembly announced the winners of the prize through a press release titled "#-Link-Snipped-#". The Blue LED is indeed kind of a 'big deal'; big enough to earn its inventors Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura the Nobel Prize - typically given to the inventors whose inventions have greatest positive impact on the mankind.

There are few important points about the blue LEDs that every human should know - first, they made the energy efficient white LED lamps possible. While the regular bulbs emit light at 16 lumen/Watt and fluorescent lights do it at 70 lumen/W; the LEDs beat them at their own game with 300 lm/W!

Nobel-Prize-Physics-2014-Blue-LED

The Nobel Assembly also acknowledges that LEDs have the power to provide illumination in areas where light is obtained from burning kerosene, candles and open fire. The solar powered LEDs could offer much better illumination without polluting the environment. But the goodness of blue LEDs doesn't stop there. The ultraviolet LEDs, made possible only by the blue LEDs can help sterilize polluted water. UV light is known to destroy the DNA of the various waterborne viruses, bacteria and several harmful microorganisms.

The LEDs allow their color to be controlled by computers and several studies have shown that different parts of the light spectrum can influence the growth of plants. It means that LEDs have the capability of providing much more controlled and efficient light in the greenhouses - allowing us to control the overall growth of the plants. Though LEDs are just about 20 year old, they have influenced human life in a big way.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# (Official)

Replies

• ManojKiran Eda
    ManojKiran Eda
    Wow.....These guys require a credit...
  • lal
    lal
    A word though, 300lm/Watt is a figure achieved in Labs alone. Yeah, anything is possible in Labs, where all the conditions can be controlled minutely to achieve that ultimate output. Commercial LEDs provide around 100lm/Watt efficacy for now. The figure keeps climbing day by day with manufacturers introducing innovations every minute.

The Nobel prize really pays, for, they took a step to save the whole world in a way. LEDs, pollute less, stress the nature even less and ultimately saves energy!
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    absolute deservers!!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So, it seems like Android L would be a really good move and is expected to increase the battery performance in Android Devices. Battery has always been sort of 'dis-advantage'...
I'm sure most of us have watched cartoons as kids. But back then it was more fun. But check out some of the modern cartoons on the videos below. Are...
hai nd hello CEianz plz suggest me some good recent gd topics actually i'm having an interview of ibs day after tmrw........ thankz
#include #include void main() { clrscr(); printf("\nab"); printf("\bsi"); printf("\rha"); getch(); } According to me the op should be "hai",but the output is absi ha So ,plz tell how is it...
why the piece of code like for(int i=0;i<19;i++) { printf("hello"); } is an error,that is why in C,the variable can't be initialized within the for loop,while in other programming languages...