The Medical Software Pandemic: Challenges and Solutions - Web Event

Quote:
The software complexity of critical medical devices is growing rapidly. Pacemakers can be remotely programmed. Infusion pumps have been hacked. Digital radiography systems contain millions of lines of code. Some devices, such as electronic medical record (EMR) tablets, are effectively a generic personal computer, running massive operating systems. Medical device manufacturers face tremendous competition, promoting intense cost containment measures and time to market pressure. The result is that the current international regulatory environment for life-critical medical devices is hopelessly inadequate. Unlike the avionics industry, which has extremely rigorous requirements for flight-critical software and requires a comprehensive validation prior to flying, medical device regulators have historically focused instead on documentary guidance. While medical device software failures have caused patient fatalities and hundreds of recalls, there has never been a commercial airline passenger fatality directly attributed to software.
Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am currently working on an innovation research project on how to solve the so called "last mile" issue in traffic at the Vienna University of Business and Economics. The...
One of the problems with wearable medical devices is the electronics for sensing physiological parameters , process the data and communicate with a host computer. Cotton is easy to wear...
Hi all, I am working as a s/w engineer in a MNC having one year of experience. Now a am thinking of adding some value to my BE degree. Would...
The 10th Question of the CE Grand Quiz Contest is as follows - [Worth 5 CE Coins] Use any seven numbers from 0 to 9 to represent the letters in...
Spot opens to a group of men and women gathered in the office. Everyone has the 4G Blackberry so they can do more faster. The boss tells each person something...