The LIKE Button epidemic and stupid generation.

This all started from Facebook.

I have been boiling in the inside for a few months now. Two months ago I told some of my friends I will never "Like" any status from now on but reply with a comment. I did but I got "Likes" on the comments I made...

In plain and simple terms clicking the Like button means you are a lazy child who cannot add anything intelligent to a conversation. It is a complete disregard for the original message and the poster.

Now I see this on Crazyengineers forums. It is an insult to engineers and the forum.

"You know the LC circuit shown here can bypass above 12 MHz but I am still not sure on its exact envelope."
[โ€‹IMG]JohnSmith Likes this.
Are you kidding me JohnSmith? You Like the post? Could you not tell me if the information I have given is right or wrong? You could just re enforce the point I made. You can point us to a new idea. At least you can encourage all of us on the whole process. Or can keep your finger off the like button.

So my question is do you think the Like button is creating a generation of stupid and lazy people?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    i was irked by like button on CE as everyone were using it to 'like' non -engineering stuff.

Before, we take this discussion further, i think I know why a like button was introduced. In every thread before introdcing the 'like' button, there were too many number of spam posts, like "thanks!", " you did wonderful"," this is awesome" and what not which did not contribute for the discussion. In order to reduce such posts , 'like' button eas introduced so that the threads contain only relevant contributions and not appreciations and other irrelevant stuff.

but its again, admin's call how to handle it
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @xheavenlyx: I am annoyed by the like button on Facebook too but as Durga has currently pointed out, we had hundreds of spam posts on CE that only increased the length of threads with little or no value in it.

What I think about the like button on CE is if there are passive on-lookers or people who just want to read and learn, they can use the like button to show their appreciation for the content, thereby not breaking the chain of posts by useless comments.

Could you not tell me if the information I have given is right or wrong? You could just re enforce the point I made. You can point us to a new idea. At least you can encourage all of us on the whole process.
    I have experienced this when I start a new thread and people don't reply (we all have), but then we can not force someone to write something. ๐Ÿ˜

I hope now you get it why the like button was introduced on CE.

PS: I guess we should have a provision, where users should be able to switch on/off the like button on their own posts.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Superb job buddy!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The above is not a very good reply, is it? ๐Ÿ˜’

That is why a like button is introduced, I think.

Besides also go through this. This is a very good discussion with some points mentioned about how to post on Forum. From regular members we can expect to follow them but cannot force any one. ๐Ÿ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    In my view, instead of removing the Like button, we can transform into Reputation button. So, people can add to reputation for the value of their posts. Right??? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    In my view, instead of removing the Like button, we can transform into Reputation button. So, people can add to reputation for the value of their posts. Right??? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thats what i have already suggested to make "Helped" Button. ๐Ÿ˜

Like and Helped are two different things. ๐Ÿ˜’
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    godfather
    Thats what i have already suggested to make "Helped" Button. ๐Ÿ˜

Like and Helped are two different things. ๐Ÿ˜’
    Also there shud be something like a range... Like 1 - 10... So that how much helped can be measured...
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    Also there shud be something like a range... Like 1 - 10... So that how much helped can be measured...
    That is why Helped button if Member founds that particular member has helped him/her then they pressed Helped Button. Because you may LIKE every post but its not necessary that you are helping someone in every post. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    [Solved] The LIKE Button epidemic and stupid generation.

Thanks for giving examples and clearing it up. Abrakadabra and Durga, I get it now. And AbraK I saw your likes on my post. I did mind them initially but now what you said is correct. People replying like "Excellent work man" or "Ok got it, and then?" will just increase the post length and bury important posts under all the shtuff.

I think my irritation originally extended from Facebook Like. The function here seems to be much useful than on FB. What do you guys think of the Like on Facebook statuses and comments?

And thanks for the link @Ishu.

As for the "Helped" button, I guess it will just add more fluff to the forum. The [SOLVED] tag on posts might be a better solution, members should practice changing the post names at important post points. The Solved tag will also help in the search function! Oh I think we just formed a new forum etiquette ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The 'like' button on CE is bit different from the Facebook like button. The purpose of 'like' button is to ensure that the most useful content in every thread is easily discoverable. However, the most useful post in any thread is collectively decided by users. I already warned about abuse of this feature, but no one paid attention. It's now more on the lines of I like your post, you like mine.

Like button has helped us remove the spammed posts that only said "thanks", "hello". Earlier, there was a restriction of minimum 20 characters in every post; but users complained about it and we removed it. As a result, we were flooded with 'thanks' "+1" type comments, which added no value to the discussion.

Changing the like button into reputation won't solve any problem. The feature will get abused as well. The best thing is CEans click on Like button only when they find a really useful post.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

๐ŸŽ‰ Wishing you loads of success and happiness in life. ๐Ÿ˜ Happy Birthday! ๐Ÿ˜
These are some of the Catia notes I found. Study them ๐Ÿ˜€
pls post here latest interview questions as per ur xperience or if u hav ne resource....these questions wud b helpful in clearing these interviews...so pls do post
There are n animals in the queue to Dr. Dolittle. When an animal comes into the office, the doctor examines him, gives prescriptions, appoints tests and may appoint extra examination....
to all ceans, though we are electrical engineer and this subject seem to be related to mechanical ones but we are also going to place in power plants(NTPC,BHEL,etc) so we...