The issues with Indian graduates...

I came across this interesting article today.

#-Link-Snipped-#

The problem is that, unfortunately, its true. Our education system is a big failure and i am sure most of you will agree with me. Once my teacher told me that Lord Macaulay advertised his education policies in India, so that he can produce clerks for British empire and since then we are only making clerks. I seriously wish, some day some one is gonna make some changes and the system would be more application-oriented rather than result-oriented.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We've discussed this problem a number of times. I'd rather ask the author the opposite question: If I posses the five attributes; would you give me a really challenging job that requires innovation? I think the industry has to upgrade first and ask for challenging jobs. I've seen A+ class students doing nothing but adding comments to the already written code.

I'd also agree that this a classic case of chicken-egg problem.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    a counterview read here --> An Open Letter To Prospective Indian Employer โ€“ The Greatbong Blog & Podcast

The comments are worth readin as well
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    durga
    a counterview read here --> An Open Letter To Prospective Indian Employer โ€“ The Greatbong Blog & Podcast

Hah....looks like more of an excuse than solution.(or a publicity stunt...๐Ÿ˜‰ ). Everybody knows we have problems and we should be able to accept it, instead of playing blame games. If we are wrong then there is no point of counterview. I dont agree with this guy, but again as biggie said, its a classical chicken-egg problem. We all are product of same system, but NYT article tells us about the image of Indian graduates in the outer world, we should be focusing on changing that, not giving excuses that we are naive graduates, thats just silly...๐Ÿ˜›

And the comments, just some frustrated people blaming their bosses. I am not saying they all are wrong, but dear employees stop complaining and start working, may be then you boss wont call you while you are having dinner...๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga

Yeah, the comments are more interesting ๐Ÿ˜‰

I've been on the both sides of the show and I'd agree with both the sides on select points. The systems are imperfect; but we're supposed to be the perfect ones to fit into it. That just doesn't work. I totally agree with the lies that HRs make when offering a job. I was a big victim of it at one time.

The key is to achieving the equilibrium between employer and employees is to have the right people for the right job - which is *the most* difficult thing to do. But if we inspect closely, the organization structures (corporate cultures) are by design, made to make people unhappy. Compensation determined by performance only is most of the times a big lie.

Here at CE, we try to fix those problems, but understanding the midset of the people we work with is often the most challenging job. There are no easy ways to address it.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Pensu,

The original article too was a rant. I arent supporting Mr GB, but its just that the facts what he h put aross are non deniable. For example- treating as humans. Few of my colleuges were on holiday and when there were few escalataions the manger got other call them and ruin their holiday?? was that really needed?
    the salary hikes of the employees are withheld to project greater margin. We were victim of this - 3 months delay in paying up our new salary ans guess what no arrears were given. We just lost 3 month arrears.
    when someone is intutuive and inquisitve we get to listen - " please finish your work and get going!" type replies.
    So I dont think there is any issue what the author has written about. His view was counter view of the original letter, not a remedy . When employer can rant so can employee . isnt it??
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    As far as NYT article goes, its not tht it NYT -then it must be perfect. they write abotu Aishwaraya rais' weighty problems as well, are we really worried??!!!.
    Yes, there is a problem. But a rant is no solution. Being a network Engineer, we work 24*7, that doesnto mean the manager can call me up when I am having dinner and ask me about updates. That is no way of getting work done. When I ask for a leave,you can't adjust my weekoffs to suit my leave requirements and deprive me with all comp offs with random reasoning.
    Saying that, if I was a employer I would not want to employee someone who has been grasshopper with companies and hopping jobs only for better hike. He /She might as well be unloyal to my organisation as well ( anyone who will mention -dogs are loyal, humans work for money!- please dont bother me)Things need to be fixed both the sides.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    #-Link-Snipped-#, exactly my point. I am not saying that NYT guy was correct, i am just saying he raised few good points and we cant deny that. Yes, the problems are on both sides, no one is saint here. The managers are also product of the same system as the new trainees are. They all are molded in the same way. But, if it has to be stopped, someone has gotta take some initiative. Lets say that NYT guy ranted coz he is a manager, and what did that GB guy did, he ranted back. Thats the problem with the current system, we are busy blaming each other. One side should come forward and i believe its the responsibility of the new graduates. Todays employees are going to be future manager. I dont have any working experience in industry, so i cant comment about that, but i do believe that the system needs to be changed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There is a prison with 100 prisoners, each in separate cells, which are sealed off, soundproof and windowless. There is a lobby in the prison with a lightbulb in it....
Facebook may soon take over Opera browser! That's what the latest rumors in the tech markets are! Facebook is trying hard to compete against the Internet browser behemoths like Google...
sir, I have just completed 2nd year of my B.E degree . I want to do a internship inthis summer .plz help me...
hi im balgovind singh from alwar i am appearing my b-tech wid automobile trd.
Hi.....! ๐Ÿ˜€ I am soundariya from madurai...!