Temperature Control In Air Coolers - Possible? Ideas?

While discussing advantages and disadvantages of Air-coolers vs. the air-conditioners; I began thinking about possibilities of having temperature control in air-coolers. Currently, there's no way to control the temperature of the air blown by the coolers and if we could figure out a way to fix this; life would be better for 1000s of people.

Let the electric pulses flow through your brain and come up with an idea to fix this problem.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In evaporative coolers there is a minimum temperature fixed by the relative humidity of the inlet air. One can fit a thermostat to switch of the blower for any set temperature above this minimum. Unfortunately the user has no way of finding this minimum without psychrometric data of the ambient air, which varies considerably.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No more responses. #-Link-Snipped-# , I was expecting your comment.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    In AC, liquid gases are circulating which absorb the heat and supply fresh, cool air. This is the single biggest difference between air cooler and air conditioner. However employing this coolant (refrigerant) is a costly affair.

For people in India, as far as I have seen opt for low cost options. It is better to use a cooler worth INR 5000. The life can be as high as 10-25 years depending upon the use. We use cooler for around 3-3.5 months.

If we use AC, there are maintenance issues. People do not always want to invest 30000-50000 and have higher electricity bills.

Operating cost of cooler is very very low as compared to AC.

Nowadays latest models of AC are coming in market guaranteeing high COP.
    Now coming to your question, using temperature control (present technology) in cooler will increase its cost to a level where you will say, AC is better.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm specifically interested in finding out whether we can control the temperature of the air blown by the air-cooler. How about regulating the flow of water? Can that help?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The air coming out of the blower will be always at the wet bulb temperature at that place and time. One possibility is to have two blowers. The second blower just blows the plain air without passing through the evaporative section. The temperature control can perhaps be used to mix these in required proportion to get the desired final temperature.
    Not an elegant solution, I guess. It will work though.
  • ses
    ses
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm specifically interested in finding out whether we can control the temperature of the air blown by the air-cooler.
    How about regulating the flow of water? Can that help?
    You must be familiar with cooling tower design which works on the same principle of evaporative cooling.There are two variables namely air flow rate and water flow rate which are determined to arrive at the desired wet bulb temperature.It is possible to vary both the variables through fan speed and water pumping rate.However,we seldom get to the exact wet bulb temperature due to efficiency losses.Similarly, it is possible and sometimes necessary to control the outlet temperature in a air cooler say in a place like Hyderabad where the dry bulb temp in peak summer is around 44 deg C and RH as low as 8%.This gives you a wet bulb temp of around 16 deg C,which is far lower than the comfort temperature of 24 deg C to 26 deg C.We can achieve comfort temperature by lowering the fan speed,and most models come with 2-3 fan speed settings.The water pumps in most models come with fixed speeds and pumping rates,and hence not possible to vary the flow rates, though theoretically possible to vary them with VFDs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends.. Can any one tell me how to integrate single phase transformer into balanced radial distribution system??
Engineers at the University of Washington have created world's thinnest LED (light emitting diode), that's just 3 atoms thick! Though thin, the new LED is mechanically very strong and can...
Robert Barker submitted a new project: LILA - Leave it Locked, Always by QL London - LILA is a sleek & simple to use system, which gives you the reassurance...
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-26630647
Hi...Recently I joined Cognizant as a testing Enginner. We've learnt about the manual testing and I think for the first one year, We have to work on manual testing only....