tell the number of men,women & children

Q:There are 20 pieces of bread to divide among 20 people. A man eats 3 pieces, woman eats 2 pieces and a child eats half piece of bread. Tell the correct combination of men, women and children so that they are 20 people in total and everyone gets the bread. Note that a man cannot eat less than 3 or more than 3. A woman cannot eat less than 2 or more than 2 and the child cannot eat less than half or more than half piece of the bread. You have to tell there are how many are men, women and children in those 20 people.

😁Peace, like charity, begins at home

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Men = 1

Women = 5

Children = 14

Total = 1*3 + 5 *2 + 14*.5 = 20..
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    I go with ES...
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Ya, that's right.
    But is that the only answer?

Two equations with three unknowns, so there are many answers possible, right?
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    X+Y+Z=20
    3X+2Y+0.5Z=20
    These are the two equations. X,Y,Z are the number of breads.
    In simple maths, there can be many answers possible. But here, we are dealing with number of persons. So we cannot take decimal answers. This is the only integer answer possible i think.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    i go with ES
  • vefadar
    vefadar
    here we got 2 equations,
    x+y+z=20, and 3x+2y+0.5z=20
    then after solving last equation we get 6x+4y+z=40,
    from this one i do following: x+y+z+5x+3y=40, as x+y+z=20 then 20 +5x+3y=40, then 5x+3y=20,
    as you see here x can be only 1, x=1 , because another answers are not valid with 3y,
    so x=1 then y to be 5,y=5, 5*1+3*y=20, x=1,y=5 is only solution for this equation, so z=14, from x+y+z=20
  • Aza Chen
    Aza Chen
    Got the ans. thnx
  • bhavnatalesara
    bhavnatalesara
    This can also be the answer.
    Men=4
    Women=3
    Children=2
    Check=(4*3)+(3*2)+(4*0.5)=20
    N there may be many more answers....if not so then why?
  • Oaneaa
    Oaneaa
    there is only an answer because there are 20 people....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Q:Three people picked 65 apples altogether. At the first tree they each picked the same number of apples. At the second tree they each picked 3 times as many as...
iv a bit stuck on this question..if anyone could give me any help it would be much appriciated! ''Calculate the power required to pump 50 metric tonnes of oil per...
CEans, Our CEans advised us to introduce a review section and we listened! Its a great pleasure to launch the all new CE - Reviews section. Through CE Review section,...
CEans, We are happy to introduce CE - Reviews section - a place where everything will be reviewed with an engineering vision 😀 Head over to CE - Reviews Discuss...
Dr. Masaaki Kumagai, director of Tohoku Gakuin University's Robot Development Engineering Laboratory has developed BallP - a robot that will put all human balancing skills to shame. The robot uses...