Teamcenter PLM Interview Questions And Answers

Before diving straight into this subject, let me outline what PLM basically is, and what scope it offers.

What is PLM?
PLM

Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
is an information-driven process of managing the entire lifecycle of a commodity from its inception, through engineering design and manufacturing, to deployment and service and finally to its disposal.

Take for example- A company ABC has released a smartphone Po, and soon wants to release Po 2. Now the earlier method would take hours of rework to develop this variant, but with PLM's efficient data management tools, just a slight modification would be needed to bring this new product to fruition.

Benefits of PLM -
  • Improved cycle time
  • Less rework and decreased room for errors
  • Better use of resources
  • Increased productivity
  • Enhanced quality of product
  • Better design integrity
  • Better analytics
  • Better understanding of critical processes
  • Standards and regulatory compliance
  • Better communication within supply chain
  • Reduced cost of product; more profits.
Preferred engineering branch(es)?
Mostly Mechanical and Computer Science engineers are preferred, but it' just not restricted to them. With proper training, even a Civil Engineer might land a job in PLM segment. I'm from the Electronic and Communications field, and I've found myself a rewarding career in this sector.

Industries that use PLM-

You name it. PLM is making a mark in almost all know industries - Automotive, Aerospace, Medical, Machinery/Industrial, Consumer Products and Retail.

Some important PLM software-
Teamcenter, Enovia, Windchill, Creo, Aras, Arena PLM, Agile PLM, SAP PLM, Sharp PLM.

Though all these software exist, my expertise lies mainly in Teamcenter, which is a widely used PLM tool. Teamcenter is a Siemens-developed PLM software.

Some MNCs that recruit Teamcenter professionals-

companies that use Teamcenter PLM
To be continued..

Replies

• Chandan Gupta
    Chandan Gupta
    Now I'll mostly be covering Teamcenter topics as that's the tool I'm used to the most.

Now, let's move on to the different categories of Teamcenter- 2-Tier and 4-Tier. More information on this soon.

What is an item?

In Teamcenter, Item is a folder that contains all necessary information required to manufacture that product. Now let's say we have a pen.

Item = pen
    Now the folder will have all information about the pen - elements used to manufacture it, design cost, each element's cost, who is designing what part, number of revisions, manufacturing process, etc.
  • Chandan Gupta
    Chandan Gupta
    An item in Teamcenter is a structure of associated objects. The basic structure has the following things for sure-

Item
    Item Master
    Item Revision
    Item Revision Master Form

The item types are can be any of the following - item, document, EngChange, Part, Assembly, Component, etc.

Item Revisions

Every item revision has one (or more) associated sequence ID. With every checkout the sequence ID of item revision is incremented, and the most recent sequence ID becomes the default ID.
  • Chandan Gupta
    Chandan Gupta
    Teamcenter Architecture -

2-Tier

a) Client Tier
    (user's local machine) - This layer contains Rich client, Teamcenter server and executables, and other additional applications like TCVIS, NX that integrate with rich client.

b) Resource Tier
    (database and volume data servers) - This layer contains metadata and files managed by the system. It accommodates-
    • Database server
    • Volume
    • File server
    4-Tier

a) Client tier -
    this layer contains client application process user interface input and output and host secure file cache. It also has other additional applications like TCVIS, NX that integrate with both rich client and thin client, and also Teamcenter network.

b) Web-tier - This layer
    handles client installation, process logon request, transfers client request to business logic, serves static content to client and handles communication between the client & enterprise tier-

i) Java based and served on a J2EE web application server such as weblogic.

ii) .Net-based and served on IIS SERVER.

c) Enterprise Tier
    - Host business logic, applies security rules, retrieves data from and stores data in the database and serves dynamics content to client.

Its consists of:-
    • A pool of server process managed by a server manager(Four tier architecture only)
    • Transient Volumes

d) Resource Tier
    - This layer stores persistent metadata and files managed by Teamcenter. It contains-
    • Database Server and database
    • Standard Volumes
    For more information, please PM #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Chandan Gupta
    Chandan Gupta
    Teamcenter Interview Questions and Answers (Basic)

teamcenter_interview_questions

Q1. What is PLM?
    Q2. What is Teamcenter?
    Q3. Benefit of Teamcenter?
    Q4. Please explain Teamcenter architecture?
    Q5. Please explain 2tier and 4tier Teamcenter Architecture?
    Q6. Teamcenter installation process? 2-tier and 4-tier.
    Q7. Item, Item revision, Dataset and Form in Teamcenter?
    Q8. What is difference between Item and Item revision in Teamcenter?
    Q9. What is dataset and Form in Teamcenter?
    Q10. What is the difference between a revision and version in Teamcenter?
    Q11. How to hide the dataset?
    Answer: - Edit-->Options-->Search and select the Latest Dataset Versions check box.
    Q11. How to revert to previous dataset version?
    Answer: - Revert to a previous dataset version to track changes and undo changes to a dataset.
    To revert to an earlier version of a dataset, select the dataset and choose
    File-->Open With..
    Using the Open dialog box, you can specify a particular version of a dataset
    And/or a specific software application (tool) to use for the current editing session.

Q12. Creating datasets or dataset revisions based on existing datasets?
    Answer: - Using the Save As... Command on the File menu, user can create a new dataset based on an existing dataset. If dataset identification is implemented at user's site, he can use this command to develop a revision of an existing dataset.

Q13. How to rename search?
    Answer:-Rename search results
    • Right-click the search name at the top of the list of search results. The Explorer Popup Menu appears.
    • Select Rename from the menu.
    • Type a new name for the search results.
    • Press Enter.
    The name of the search is changed to reflect the new name.

Q14. How to compare the search results in Teamcenter?
    Q15. Please explain different type of release status?
    Q16. What is named reference?
    Q17. How to change corrupt dataset?Please explain procedure.
    Q18. How to view/modify the named reference?
    Q19. How to change default revision rules setting?
    Q20. Please tell me preference name of changing default background color?
    Answer:- The PSEPreciseColorPref and PSEImpreciseColorPref preferences can be used to set the default background colors.
    Q21. Please explain show/hide button.
    Answer:- You can view visualization data for the BOM assembly and components using the Show/Hide Data Panel button in Structure Manager.
    You can view other assembly components in the My Teamcenter tri-pane window.
    Q22. What is substitute component?
    Answer:- Substitute components are parts that can be swapped with a particular component in an assembly. Substitutes are often defined for manufacturing purposes, permitting use of the substitute if the preferred part is unavailable.

• Substitute components are item revisions in a precise assembly and items for an imprecise assembly.
    • In an imprecise assembly, the revision rule selects the correct revision of a substitute component.
    • Substitute components are identified with the substitute symbol in the BOM line.

Q23. How much mode of compare product structure in Teamcenter?
    Q24. What is the difference between Precise and Imprecise assemblies in Teamcenter?
    Q25. What is the difference between “Where Used” and “Where referenced” in Teamcenter?
    Q26. What is BOM and BVR?
    Q27. How to change precise structure to imprecise structure?
    Q28. How to clone the product structure in Teamcenter?
    Q29. What is cooperate server?
    Q30. What is Clear locks Functionality?

I've tried to provide solutions to the first ten questions in posts above, and a few of the questions have been answered here itself. For the remaining questions, you may directly contact me via personal message. 😀

Hope you like these and found this helpful. Will add more interview questions soon.
  • Chandan Gupta
    Chandan Gupta
    1. What is organization in Teamcenter?
    2. What is different between Person & user in Teamcenter?
    3. What is Group in Teamcenter?
    4. What is Roles in Teamcenter?
    5. What is Administrative privileges in Teamcenter?
    Answer:-
    These are the privileges needed to manage Teamcenter admin data like organization, access rules, and workflows. Administrator accounts have important access to data, and anything they do might affect other data as well, so such accounts have to be handled with caution.

These key points should be kept in mind while using admin accounts-

• The infodba account has all the Teamcenter system-level privileges.
    • The Bypass administrative setting supersedes other privileges.
    • Members of the dba group with the DBA role have complete system privileges.
    • For each group:
    • Create at least one member who acts as the administrator for that group
    • Group administrators can assign other group administrators in their group
    • Create a DBA role to manage roles for that group and assign the group administrator. The DBA role for a user in a non-dba group has no additional privileges over any other group member.
    6. What is Volume in Teamcenter?
    7. What is Different between Volume and database?
    8. What is Site in Teamcenter and how to relate in real-time scenario?
    9. How to delete user in Teamcenter?
    10.What is the utility to create multiple user in Teamcenter?

11.What is preference name in Granting Volume access to a group does not implicitly grant access to all subgroups?
    Answer:- TC_allow_inherited_group_volume_access

12.What is preference name is Percentage full of a Volume at which the file import is sent to the failover volume?
    Answer:- TC_Volume_Failover_Trigger

13. What is preference name is Volume to use in a failover situation.This preference with the TC_Volume_Failover_Trigger
    Answer
    :- TC_Volume_Failover_Volume_Name

14. What is the preference name to last login deactivated user?
    Answer:-TC_days_non_login_timeout

15.What is full name of term of attributes (ADA/ITAR) in user creation in Teamcenter?
    Answer:-
    ADA-Authorized data Access
    ITAR-International Traffic in Arms Regugation

16.What are disciplines in Teamcenter?
    Answer:-Disciplines are sets of user list who have common performance or behaviour.
    Example:-
    • Support person working on Teamcenter Administrator
    • DBA or Group administrator privileges user to Create, Modify and Delete Disciplines
    • Developer who has expertise in UNIX
  • Chandan Gupta
    Chandan Gupta
    Mostly used Teamcenter Application

1. My Teamcenter
    2. Structure Manager
    3. Lifecycle Visualization Embedded Viewer
    4. Workflow Viewer
    5. Change Manager
    6. Organization
    7. Access Manager and more..

1. My Teamcenter is the application we have able to our product and process information. The main access point of all used function, Item, Object and Check-in/Check-out and query execution. All standard functionalities are available in My Teamcenter.

2. Structure manager is used to build, view, and change product structures. Structure Manager also able to product structures that were created in a CAD application like NX, CATIA etc.

Structure Manager manages the Bill of Material (BOM).

3. Lifecycle Visualization application is used to view the design data and review the product structure in light-weight mode.

4. Workflow Viewer is the user interface where user can track the progress of workflow process.

5. Change Manager is a medium though which user can push requests to initiate, administer, analysis, approve, and execute product changes. By automating the change process, change Manager can minimize change-related rework and coordinate tasks to be performed by changing, enhancing and upgrading the product.

6. Organization application enables user to create and maintain the company’s association within Teamcenter by organizing user accounts and their respective permissions and user groups, roles, volume, etc.

7. Access Manager enables you to control user access to data objects stored in Teamcenter.
    • Defining rules.
    • Defining access control lists (ACLs).
    (In case anyone wishes to contact for more information on this topic, please drop me a message)
  • Vitthal Sangale
    Vitthal Sangale
    gr8 work.. thanks
  • satabdiplm
    satabdiplm
    Hi Sir,
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of using 2T/4T? And which tier is recommended to be used more? Thanks in advance..

ChandanKumarGupta

2-Tier

a) Client Tier
    (user's local machine) - This layer contains Rich client, Teamcenter server and executables, and other additional applications like TCVIS, NX that integrate with rich client.

b) Resource Tier
    (database and volume data servers) - This layer contains metadata and files managed by the system. It accommodates-
    • Database server
    • Volume
    • File server
    4-Tier

a) Client tier -
    this layer contains client application process user interface input and output and host secure file cache. It also has other additional applications like TCVIS, NX that integrate with both rich client and thin client, and also Teamcenter network.

b) Web-tier - This layer
    handles client installation, process logon request, transfers client request to business logic, serves static content to client and handles communication between the client & enterprise tier-

c) Enterprise Tier
    - Host business logic, applies security rules, retrieves data from and stores data in the database and serves dynamics content to client.

• A pool of server process managed by a server manager(Four tier architecture only)
    • Transient Volumes

d) Resource Tier
    - This layer stores persistent metadata and files managed by Teamcenter. It contains-
    • Standard Volumes
    ChandanKumarGupta

2-Tier

a) Client Tier

b) Resource Tier
    • Database server
    • Volume
    • File server
    4-Tier

a) Client tier -

b) Web-tier - This layer

c) Enterprise Tier

• Transient Volumes

d) Resource Tier
    • Standard Volumes
  • Chandan Gupta
    Chandan Gupta
    satabdiplm
    Hi Sir,
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of using 2T/4T? And which tier is recommended to be used more? Thanks in advance..

Hi Satbdiplm,

Hope you are well!

Right now I have switch data to my teamcenter website(teamcenterinterview.in) and many article and discussion forum is there. My team will solve the doubt.

Regards,

Chandan Gupta

• Madhwesh Chittapur
    Madhwesh Chittapur

Add some of the tricky question answer with example in team enter modules step by stey

• Madhwesh Chittapur
    Madhwesh Chittapur

Thanks for giving such a fabulous question and answers but not covered all answers

• Amit Morey
    Amit Morey

What Skills Does a Teamcenter administrator need?

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# If it's Database administration, you need to know about: Oracle or DB2 or SQL Server. If it's Data Model administration, you need to know about: using the BMIDE, basics of XML, object oriented modeling. It fairly depends on the job. 

Does that answer your question? If not, you may ask further.

• Abhitosh Khelge
    Abhitosh Khelge

More questions about structure manager? 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Some Team Center Structure Manager Interview Questions.

• What is the use of CCDM in structure manager?
    • What is meant by Pack and Unpack in structure manager?
    • What is the Split Occurrence?
    • Specify the name of preference which will enable/see -
      • Unconfigured Variants
      • Classic Variants
      • Audit log file
      • Addition, edit or remove Increment Change
      • Variant data condition
      • Assign variability of product
    • What is Multi-Structure Manager?
    • What is Nonspatial searches?
    • Which properties are used in Product structure?
    • What is the Closure rule in Structure manager?
    • What is the restriction of packed line in SM?
  • Vishnu D
    Vishnu D

Hi sir,

what are the basic concepts and interview Questions with answers should know before going to Attend Interview as a fresher design engineer job using Teamcenter. thanks in advance sir.  

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A lot of our fellow CEans are writing in to know when will they be granted access to CE-IO. However, not everyone will get access today itself. Here is how...
hi guys, my project abstract is power generation from a moving hovercraft boat.i need some suggestions please help me
Hi Everyone I am Dhanya .I have completed my Engineering in ECE during 2015 with 6.8 CGPA .Presently working in Logistics field which is completely not related to me .Now...
Can anyone help me to prepare a paper presentation to present in my college? Any engineering related topics are invited. Thanks in advance.☕
me and my team is manufacturing a formula style race car to compete in a competition, for that we require paddle shifters for shifting the gears. so please send the...