Tata's Nano : Boon Or Bane?

CEans,

Tata's Nano, the Rs. 1 lakh car was recently introduced. I personally believe that its one of the greatest engineering achievements and a good example of how engineering can do wonders for the common man.

The car sure will sell like hot cake 😁 ; but will India's pathetic, heavily packed roads accept the Nano?

What's your take on the people's car?

Shout!

Replies

• Nidhinkoroth
    Nidhinkoroth
    We can't tell anything without a test drive....

Waiting for NANO's release.....
  • mahul
    mahul
    Well lets see how the nano performs. moreover this thing already costs substantially more than a lakh. I think the biggest challenge for the tatas would be to contain the price of the nano. lets see where thing goes to in a couple of years.
  • Er.AtulSingh
    Er.AtulSingh
    hi,
    I personly feel dat , the step taken by TATA's will Revolutionize the automobl sector in INDIA,
    Now it will force other companies to come forward and think for Consumers who cant afford Luxaries .
  • Er.AtulSingh
    Er.AtulSingh
    ND nw lets talk bout its performance
    It would be a fantastic option for Medium and small cities,and in some proportion mega cities too.
    As in other cities , due to lack of transportation facilities, People will prefer it rather than purchasing ,bikes
    those having bikes, will definately buy this toy for comfrtbl travelin
    and this generation of Nuclr families, it wud be a great option for dat too , wid amazing avg of 25

its my opinion. my views
  • Er.AtulSingh
    Er.AtulSingh
    ND nw lets talk bout its performance
    It would be a fantastic option for Medium and small cities,and in some proportion mega cities too.
    As in other cities , due to lack of transportation facilities, People will prefer it rather than purchasing ,bikes
    those having bikes, will definately buy this toy for comfrtbl travelin
    and this generation of Nuclr families, it wud be a great option for dat too , wid amazing avg of 25

its my opinion. my views
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, technologically, Nano is a wonder car. No doubt it has redefined the way we look at small cars. However, it "might" create few problems such as -

1. Traffic Jams (Do you think Indian roads are capable of handling influx of Nanos?)
    2. Pollution (Agreed that Nano emissions meets world-class standards, but since its People's car, everyone's going to buy one. Tata advertised that Nano will cause lesser pollution that equivalent two wheeler, yet its an issue we can't ignore)

What do you say? πŸ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm not sure If I can relate, but Perodua Kancils in Malaysia were pretty popular if you want a small, cheap car to get you from A to B.
    Perodua Kancil - Wikipedia

I think Nano's would be selling like hotcakes, since there arent many competitors in the super-mini car market segment, right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    I'm not sure If I can relate, but Perodua Kancils in Malaysia were pretty popular if you want a small, cheap car to get you from A to B.
    Perodua Kancil - Wikipedia

I think Nano's would be selling like hotcakes, since there arent many competitors in the super-mini car market segment, right?
    Ash, Malaysian roads are like beautiful girl's cheeks 😁 and its fun to drive on them. While I was in Malaysia, all I wished was to have have such roads in India. Don't know how long will we take to have such roads here.

...and that is one of the major factors. However Nano, as it seems, has been designed for city roads. Although on first looks, Nano looks like a baby, not-so-strong car, I guess it will survive the Indian roads.

What do others have to say?
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    going at a speed of 120kph and getting its body shaking will be a great start..it will fall like what happened to Reva(the electric car).do any of u guys know what the mileage of Nano.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    friendster7
    going at a speed of 120kph and getting its body shaking will be a great start..it will fall like what happened to Reva(the electric car).do any of u guys know what the mileage of Nano.
    According to #-Link-Snipped-#, its 20 km per liter.
  • Brar
    Brar
    Nano is the people's car and people will buy and the numbers sold will be large enough that Indian roads wd feel uncomfortable and cause trrafic jams and also much of air pollution as well.................................................
    Butttttttt no body cares for it and people will buy it inspite of such odds as it is made for common man and he will buy it because the odds listed above will not harm him much as an individual..............................................
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    friendster7
    its top speed is 75km/hr with fuel efficiency of 20-23km/litre on different road condition,not 120kmph.
    I dont know much about Reva,but 1 thing for sure that "Peoples Car" will fall short of Delivery to buyers".....its the BEST EVER TECHNOLOGY defined in AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY.....Thanks to Mr.Ratan TaTA😁
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    i think that the release of nano will result in the reduction in usage of two and three wheelers.since the cost is very less people are preferring to get it.but we really dont know what is the thing that is missing in nano when compared with other cars.i would say that nano would not be the best choice if it is going to be our firsr(dream)car.nano too has got so many demerits.So we must analyze it on that aspect too.if you are badly in need of a car then go for it.Hence its a boon only for those type of people and not for others.
  • gohm
    gohm
    At first it will be a huge boon, then lead to a bane in India. A economical option for automobile transport for the masses will be a great boon allowing more of the public to be self suffient in both commuting as well as exploration of their nation and surrounding area. this will also increase the quantity as well as quality of roads. The problem however is that I feel it will be so successful that urban traffic congestion and pollution will become such a magnified problem as a result that cleaner, mass transport options will need to be developed.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In my opinion, its a boon & a ban in its own way.

I'll talk about Nano in Indian context -

Boon - because many middle class, lower middle class people will be able to 'own a car' (which is a big thing for them!)

Bane - it *might* lead Indians into another problem - traffic jams. India still does not have a concrete solution to handle the traffic. Add the Nanos and the roads will choke. I guess engineers will have an opportunity to design newer/better car parking systems.

--------------------------------------------
    For many countries (those who are capable of handling extra traffic) Nano's going to be a boon for the people. Nano will be handy if you want to visit your barber or just visit a nearby mall.

There's another problem that's worth considering here - if Nano sells like hot cake, the petrol consumption of the world is going to shoot up. Will it lead to another problem? πŸ˜’
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    The_Big_K
    Bane - it *might* lead Indians into another problem - traffic jams. India still does not have a concrete solution to handle the traffic. Add the Nanos and the roads will choke. I guess engineers will have an opportunity to design newer/better car parking systems.
    πŸ˜’
    well every new technology come up with a curse.So with no exception to Nano too.Now lets see how we all can handle this,and what hikes in petrol and Traffic jam time we have to compromise with NANO...its INDIA ultimately....;-)
  • VZ.uk
    VZ.uk
    If the thing were to be released in the UK, I'm sure it would do well here. The expense of getting motoring for anyone under 20 is enormous as it stands, with electric cars being un-safe and hard to get hold of - and they're really what this thing is weighing up against.

For instance, I'm looking to spend Β£4000(x1.8 for $) on my first car - because I'm vain like that, but the insurance is going to be another Β£1200 on top - and that's from a very good deal I've found.

If the Nano were launched here with it's expected Β£1200 price tag, you can already see how it would corner the market for new and young drivers.

The issue in the UK is we have a government obsessed with the idea that public transport is wonderful and non-believers should be fleeced of all their money, but the buses are total cack in most places - everyone I've ever met would rather drive than use public transport, and this little wonder car will be what the moped was to the Mods of the 70/80s (look it up) - a way of gaining independence and moving up in the world.

And to the environmental issue - I give a 1 finger salute, humans have such a small contribution to the total pollution produced every year (about 3%, if you exclude breathing and farting), that it makes no sense to me to worry. It's a natural process - Earth gets hot, Rain and Extreme Weather becomes more common, we enter an ice-age, Earth cools down again.

Jeez, I can go on xD
  • gohm
    gohm
    I think the Nano would also do well if exported to places like Mexico, Korea, China, Columbia, etc. It would not meet regulations (emmision & safety) for Europe or in the US. I also think the Japanese would love it if it will meet regs there. I also know that even if it met regs here in the States, it would not do well at all (which is too bad). If Tata had an upgraded model for export to the Euro market, would it still be able to compete in a higher price point?
  • Jitheshvk
    Jitheshvk
    its a great achievement by engineers... tata has this credit..
    this car can be a boon for middle class people but considering ur road traffic this can cause seriour problem.. but should appriciate the great achievement..
  • Chris_Stevens
    Chris_Stevens
    It kind of looks like a SMART Car. What India needs is Canadian Zenn cars πŸ˜‰
    No kind of car is going to improve the already crowded streets and transit of india, they need to put more into infrastructure, rather than transportation!
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Well let me share this with you..
    This year is full of populists .. Populist budget.. for winning elections.. populist product to reinforce customers loyalty and shoot sales..to earn revenues (especially after of so many mergers/acquisitions! )
    The famous quote.. 'but a promise is a promise..'brought light to so many faces and the economy on a whole. However staunch supporters of Tata's believe that the launch shall compel government to improve infra of the country. Which i believe is just another dream. because so many other instances have been futile to wake it up! the 26th july failed and so shall this.
    Once stuck in a traffic I just shared my concern of the scene with the launch of Tata with the rikshawala. He replied..' Aare Madam Tata ki Nano ane ke bad Hum thodi rikshaw chalayenge.. humbhi gadi mein safar karenege...' ( Meaning- 'Madam after the launch of Tata Nano we shall give up our rikshaws afterall we would also like to travel in car') I still have to talk with the taxiwala's about the Launch! πŸ˜‰

P.S. Indian Government is lucky to have it's citizens because they cause problems and they themselves resolve them!! πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why not revive this thread, especially when we have Tata Nano's chief deisnger's Small Talk live on the forums? πŸ˜‰

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • robertlangdon
    robertlangdon
    I think Tata Nano is a miracle, a hope for millions of people. What we have dreamed has come true, a car for every Indian. I salute the spirit and people behding making of car. Jai Ho!
  • Ajit Chandra
    Ajit Chandra
    Tata's Nano car is not just an accomplishment of Ratan Tata's promosie to the middle class indians.But it is India's promise to the world that on the days to come world has to look into India to see innovation,determination and technical domination.

But we have to consider some problems too ...

• Due to the low cost of car, a huge people afford this car.So, no of cars on the roads will increase.As a result, traffic will also be increased and then pollution ... πŸ˜”
    • Our roads are not really well designed for parking. In such a scenario, where all these new cars will be parked ??
    • It definitely doubles fuel consumption. Therefore, Many chances of improving foreighn currency.
    • Need to answer ...... " At what extent middle class people can afford the maintainance and hidden costs of this Nano Car?? "
    πŸ˜€ " Ajit Chandra " πŸ˜€
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    so in the end what was the conclusion ? nano flunked !
  • robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    BOON:for consumers(milege,low cost,maintence free for 1st 2yrs)
    BANE:for company (controversies,TATA brand quality degraded)
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    BANE: now for consumers too (less safety guaranteed during road mishaps)
  • robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    friendster7
    I think its 25kmpl on highway

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys this is urgent......im thinking of giving a seminar on nano communication and assembler design but im not able to find good enough material related to it.... PLZ PROVIDE...
hiiiiii friends i've just registered the crazyengineers can any1 tell me good topics 4 mini project in vb
can any one plz write to me the significance of "back emf" in came of d.c. motors....plz write to me at " anshulkr123@rediffmail.com " .... plzz do reply soonnnnnn
Hi ...I am Third Year CS student and i am about to present a seminar. I have chosen Nano communication as my topic.... I have found some information of the...
😁😁 Happy Birthday to Bilco on his 64[sup]th[/sup] birthday!