Tara means business - even without an MBA

Tara roped in her friend Valen (Valentina) and discussed possibilities of some new business. Weather was hotting up. So, why not set up a lemonade stand?
First Rama was approached to provide the merchandise. My daughter was neck deep in work and declined. The pair then went to Valen's mother, who also backed off. The pair trudged back to Rama for bottled cranberry juice.
Rama scotched the idea saying only fresh juice should be sold.
The disgruntled two sat on the steps for a review. All the running around making them thirsty, they came in for a drink of water.
Bingo! Business idea.
Tara said,'If we are thirsty others must be also. Let us set up a water stall'. Promptly they prepared posters and set up shop with coloured cups and cold water.
The house is at a stretch where the road starts an incline and passing cars tend to slow down. Valen tried to flag down passing cars tempting passengers with offer of cold water.
Tara recruited a couple of marketing executives (neighbours' kids two years younger). She sent them off to the nearby childrens' park telling the kids to spread the word among thirsty players in the park about the water stand.

Seemed to have raked in US$ 3 before the stupefied mothers discovered what was afoot and closed shop.

I am now worried about what is in store for me when she turns up in Bangalore later in July.
(Tara is my seven year old grand daughter living in the US)

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - that's incredible! I think Tara and her friend have already succeeded in one of the most difficult things in business - asking for money for your product/service. I had that fear even after graduating from engineering college. My college had asked me to redo our alumni website and I was totally sleepless at the thought of asking money for my services!

I believe 'business' and main aspects of business viz. administration, selling, marketing and finances should be a part of school curriculum. That's how we'll produce more entrepreneurs!

All the best to Tara & Valentina. Curious to know what's the name of their water selling startup? Excited about their India expansion plan!

PS: In India, they're going to face some challenge from companies that sell water: Viz. Coca Cola and Pepsi 😀 .
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Not to mention the tanker Mafia in Bangalore!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Do you agree with this statement? "Don’t sell the product – sell the story!" - Kevin Harrington
Studying abroad has now become more simpler with number of grants and scholarship increasing with time. With increase in competition in the international market of education, many Universities and national...
whenever I login to CE website, I see members online. guest online, and also robots online. so I just want to know about these robots.
Temperature measurements in our daily life are typically performed by bringing a thermometer in contact with the object to be measured. However, measuring the temperature of nanoscale objects is a...
A revolutionary device called the "Paperfold" - a shape changing, foldable smartphone is being developed at Human Media Lab at Queen's University. Featuring 3 electrophoretic displays that can be folded...