Tantalising Hints to the discovery of "Higg's Boson"(God particle)!

The first biggest success of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) of European giants CERN comes; but the physicists will have to hold their breathe a little while longer! Two teams of scientists, while shifiting the debris from high-energy proton collisions, recorded "tantalising hints" of a long sought subatomic particle know as Higg's Boson, or the "God particle". The physicists believe that The existence of Higg's Boson is a key to explaining why there is mass in the Universe and ultimately, unfold the the much-debated BIG-BANG !
One team at LHC , Atlas, named after their particle-detector; recorded the weight of the putative particle as about 125 billion electron volts, about 125 times heavier than a proton and 5,00,000 times heavier than an electron. The other team, CMS(Compact Muon Solenoid) founds bumps in their detector corresponding to a mass of about 126 billion electron volts.
If the particle does exist at all, it must lie in within the range of 115-127 billion electron volts, thus increasing the possibilties. Over the last 20 years, suspicious bumps have come and gone that might have been Higg's Boson. But the fact that two rival teams using two different manmoth particle detectors had recorded similar results brings a sigh of relief. Physicists around the world expect to have enough data to make the final call by summer2012! Such a discovery would rank in important breakthroughs of the last century, going back to Einstein's first formulation of quantum physics. So, fasten up your seat belts CEans....The next few months are going to be really exiting!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Our author covered it on VoiCE: #-Link-Snipped-# . Looks like the world is heading to something very interesting. 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    To
    The_Big_K
    Our author covered it on VoiCE: #-Link-Snipped-# . Looks like the world is heading to something very interesting. 😀
    Today' Indian Expres carried a photograph of the tracing of particles from this expeiment. Looks surprisingly like Visnu's Chakra. I am sure the religious lot will go to town with that.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Really! Can you post an online pic?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    Really! Can you post an online pic?
    I tried. Unfortunately, only the print edition carries the photograph.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Is it likely that all the particles there are have been found? Nothing more to find?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

MIT Pune and Bharat Asmita foundation has organized a Youth conference at MIT Pune. It is organized for making young people aware of Democracy. Check this out- https://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_3-day-youth-parliament-kicks-off-in-pune-on-wednesday_1493498 Register here....
Hello mam, I am a final year chemical engg student. Just wanted to know how cad designing would be beneficial as i wanted to go for designing, since i am...
i have following error while open ms office application. help me please.... There is no not enough memory or disk space to run word.
Google set benchmark for other email service providers by including Gtalk chat feature in Gmail several years ago. It took long time for other popular service providers like Yahoo to...
A king wants his daughter to marry the smartest of 3 extremely intelligent young princes, and so the king's wise men devised an intelligence test. The princes are gathered into...