Talent Or Attitude - What's Required For Success?

Is it one's talent or his/her attitude that makes them successful? That's the topic of the talk I'm going to attend in a short while. I thought of starting this debate/discussion to collect views from our CEans.

The most obvious answer might be 'both'. Of both talent and attitude contribute to one's success. But think again. There are several talented people who're successful and their attitude towards most of the things in life isn't what people would normally appreciate. For example - a singer with exceptional singing talent can be successful on the basis of his/her talent.

On the other hand, there are several people who've had almost no talent - but the attitude they have towards their work and things they're doing is unparalled. I know a few successful businessmen who've achieved what they set out to achieve because of their 'never give up' attitude and 'no matter what - I'll achieve it' type of mentality (in the right sense, of course).

So - think! What's more important? Talent or Attitude?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    So I found this video on YouTube where the famous Harsha Bhogle talks about Talent Vs. Attitude. This is a snippet from his talk at IIM Ahemdabad -

One more video that was shown at the talk today -

• er.prit
    er.prit
    I think attitude is required for success.. Actually, attitude is a way of looking at life. keeping positive attitude is really necessary to achieve success. A right attitude is not produced by success, but it attracts success.. Now consider an example of a boy who has a good skill and talent in playing cricket but he doesn't have any belief, passion for that game or consider he has a lackadaisical attitude towards cricket then he can't achieve any success. Well I strongly think that positive attitude is required for success. you need to have belief, pride , passion towards your work to convert your efforts into success. I just remembered one quote but can't exactly recall who has quoted "Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude"
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think I'd even go beyond the 'positive' attitude. My Guitar teacher told me how he'd practise one single chord or a lesson for several hours a day for several months! Any sane, logical person would easily give up. Steve Jobs confirms it -

But what if one doesn't want to be 'successful'?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I am with attitude. Sure, talent plays an important role is success, but without attitude, i dont think you can hold on to that success for long. As you gave an example about a singer, well he might have reached on top courtesy of his talent, but after that his attitude is going to define his life's direction. Successful people collapse because they dont have a good attitude. On the other hand, if you have a good attitude towards your life's goal, I dont think talent is that much needed.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    "Stick-to-itiveness', the ability to keep at it in spite of set backs, tenacity of purpose, some my call it pigheaded is what gets you there in the end. Even if it does not, you feel it was worth it. After all it is your time.
    Edison is my engineering hero. "Genius," he famously confessed, "is about 2% inspiration and 98% perspiration."

Read more:#-Link-Snipped-#
    My vote is for attitude. If that passion exists, you will acquire the needed talent .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : + 10,00,000 for the last line. That's what I've realised in the recent times.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : + 10,00,000 for the last line. That's what I've realised in the recent times.
    That is what should be taught to students by teachers, preferably by example.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Attitude comes First then talent

Without attitude talent is of no use

A positive optimistic person with little talent Knows hot to divert his talents to excellence But if a person has loads of talent and stinking attitude there is no point in having so many talents
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Talent plays an important part no doubt. Without the talent, it is difficult. It takes lot of effort to hone a skill. A natural talent helps.

But then, a talented guy is easily corrupted. A guy who has lived in riches all his life does not understand what it takes to earn the money he spends. So he splurges. A guy who fights hard to earn it, values it.

A skill can be developed. But a positive attitude has to come from within.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    I put it this way,
    "If you have attitude , you know you have talent or you may acquire it"
    but
    "If you don't have attitude, you will never know if you have talent".

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm curious to know - what really would make people choose the uncertainty of the startups over the glamour of the IT industry; especially in country like India? What I...
AppFest is being hosted in Hyderabad between 13-15 December, 2012 by the Internet & Mobile Association of India. Over 600 app developers are expected to participate in the event. Apps...
We are all engineers of different colours. Presumably we all have some general engineering skills. Do we use these in our daily life around the house? All the enthusiastic bikers...
i think safe mode open only when computer doesn't start in normal condition...
How to prepare a pneumatic arm for an robot? i m trying to make a multipurpose robot with a pneumatic arm