Taizhou Bridge - World's longest double span suspension bridge

Taizhou Bridge in China is world's longest double span suspension bridge. The structural design of this bridge has won 2013 award for excellence in structural design. I checked the photos of the bridge, and wondering why this bridge is a breakthrough in structural engineering. Can someone write about what's special about this bridge and why it matters?

Wiki Link: Taizhou Bridge

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am very fond of bridges. I have made it a point to visit some of the world's great bridges of yesteryear.
    I am not a structural engineer so my views may be off axis.
    Almost all suspension bridges have a single suspension span anchored at both ends. This one has two spans with a central pylon. The problem with this is that the stresses are not anchored at the middle. With such long spans there must be enormous dynamic imbalanced loads on either side of the middle span. This has to be both 'flexible' and yet provide adequate support. We should remember how wind loads destroyed the Tacoma Narrows bridge in the US. That was a single span. Wind load asymmetries must have been a nightmare in designing this bridge.

I am amazed and proud of the engineering that went into this.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - The award winning strategy is you have to differentiate your concept of project or product from the present market.
    in this Taizhou suspension bridge, the designers adopt the new concept (i.e.) Double span. @#-Link-Snipped-# sir clearly explained the anchorage, longitudinal stresses in the middle pylon.
    For more technical details, refer this link.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am not apologetic about posting this. I like dogs. https://curiousphotos.blogspot.in/2009/12/when-your-dog-becomes-your-best-friend.html
The question is simple. Today I was watching Zee News, a program on investing. The person there was saying to invest in equity for a period of about 15 years...
sir, I have a doubt that " How much current can alternator produce depending on the engines RPM ?
C-DAC, or Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, has got another reason to swell its chest. It's supercomputer Param Yuva II has bagged the first position in India in the...
"Motorola Project Ara Is Here For Doing To Hardware What Android Did To Software" was how our Editor reacted when the project was first announced, and pushing the same reaction...