Tablets With Keyboard => Laptop. So Laptops Are Staying!

Steve Jobs predicted that the laptops and desktops are dying and we're already living in an era in which mobiles and tables will replace the mainstream computing devices. I've been using a tablet ( iPad ) for quite some time and found that it's just an entertainment device which can at best used for browsing Internet.

But if you need to use tablets for some serious work, you need a better input device and at present I don't see anything replacing keyboard. Speech recognition might just find its way to future; but talking to your phones and computers instead of people is going to make people feel awkward at least for the next few years. As a result, a lot of tablet makers are now launching keyboards; the latest one being RIM launching official keyboard for the playbook.

The sylus technology does nothing more except adding few more features to your 'finger'. My point is; with the tablet+keyboard combination; we're just going back to the Laptops. Which actually proves - laptops aren't going anywhere at least for the next 15 years or so.

What do you think?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I think tablet+ keyboard is actully portable and convenient to use .For the following points, I agree for now
    Steve Jobs predicted that the laptops and desktops are dying and we're already living in an era in which mobiles and tables will replace the mainstream computing devices. I've been using a tablet ( iPad ) for quite some time and found that it's just an entertainment device which can at best used for browsing Internet.
    If we see the trend, few years back, we were saying that laptop is not going to replace desktop in any way but today laptops comes with almost equal power with desktop and we do whaterver computing we need.One thing is not changed is Keyboard+Mouse.
    In my view no one would like to use touch device to write very lenghty post and editing images in photoshop without a mouse.

I was watching Cellguru(NDTV) yesterday about samsunng 10.1. here is the picture
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've an iPad with a Keyboard and it just feels like a mini-laptop running iOS. Laptops were a logical replacement for desktops because they offered mobility. Tablets don't add anything more except touchscreen (which is pain to use) and in fact strip more features (sophisticated word processing, image editing etc.).

Awaiting more comments ๐Ÿ˜€
  • avii
    avii
    Both are for different purposes & neither of them going to replace each other.

The_Big_K
    But if you need to use tablets for some serious work, you need a better input device and at present I don't see anything replacing keyboard. Speech recognition might just find its way to future; but talking to your phones and computers instead of people is going to make people feel awkward at least for the next few years.
    I really don't know why people actually consider this. First of all why do you really care what other people think ? And secondly, don't you talk in your phone in public ? Can other person find out whether you talking with someone or to yourself ?

I used to make notes while lectures going on in classes & half of my classmates were actually thought I am talking with some girl all day, LOL ๐Ÿ˜

The_Big_K
    I don't think even desktops are replaced, leave lappie's alone. A serious gamer / enthu never goes for laptop. Yes, laptop is best for most of the people now, but desktops are not going away soon. In high end research labs also desktops are being used. In film production units etc also desktops are used. Laptop is best for people who roam lot & need portability. It is also suited for students.

The_Big_K
    My point is; with the tablet+keyboard combination; we're just going back to the Laptops. Which actually proves - laptops aren't going anywhere at least for the next 15 years or so.
    What do you think?
    Yes & No. Even with tablet + keyboard combination you cannot do all the work you can do in Laptops.

IMO, tablets are like entertaining devices, comes with great screen & other little features. Best for Multimedia, gaming & internet. That's all ๐Ÿ˜€
  • avii
    avii
    The_Big_K
    I've an iPad with a Keyboard and it just feels like a mini-laptop running iOS. Laptops were a logical replacement for desktops because they offered mobility. Tablets don't add anything more except touchscreen (which is pain to use) and in fact strip more features (sophisticated word processing, image editing etc.).
    You have an iPad & don't know why you saying this ! If you had Android tablet, then I'd have understood ๐Ÿ˜› iOS = Great UI + Great User Experience. Period.

First of all, you need good free time everyday to spend time with gadgets ๐Ÿ˜› I think you mostly spend time with MBP [guess] managing CE ๐Ÿ˜‰ If you have 3G version of iPad then all good. Otherwise, make sure you always on WiFi. Put some games, iPad has awesome games which are only tailor made for iPad [not iPhone]. Next is using browsing, emails & office applications. Put some drawing apps too if you are interested ๐Ÿ˜›

And lastly, iBooks 2 + educational books. They are just awesome ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Aren't you repeating my points with different words? โ˜•
  • avii
    avii
    Yes and also No ๐Ÿ˜›

both tablets & laptops are different & neither of going to replace each other. From your posts I concluded, tablets are useless compared to laptops. Or may be I was wrong.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# It's alright. I didn't say tablets are useless. Tablets are meant for entertainment but are far from being used for some serious work. I've recently tried it using for a live blog but had to give up soon. Typing an email on iPad is cumbersome.
  • avii
    avii
    You are right, we both are saying same but in different ways ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have an android tablet cum eBook reader : Nook Color [you can read my review #-Link-Snipped-#] Though I mostly use it for reading books & occasional Youtube / TV serials. I have an apple wireless keyboard & use it sometimes with it. So far good for eReading !

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

You see, it was a cool movie I saw on TV when I was a little kid (Escape From Alcatraz). It had a really interesting scene in it: Frank (Clint...
I couldn't give GATE & now I am looking at colleges who have their own examinations for MTech/MS by Research/PhD programmes. Is anyone here studying at IIIT colleges ? How...
Hi all, I took the revised GRE and secured 319/340 in just 30 days. I would love to share my preparation techniques which will be useful to each and everyone...
What is the main difference between "grid computing" and "virtual computing grid using pooled resources"? Please reply.
I am working with a baja team in my college . We are having trouble with the drive shafts of the gear box. We dont want to use the half...